1. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 02:19
    Originally posted by JS357
    I am still on your statement "Any time rights have to have a prefix: womens, gay, name an ethnicity, etc. we are no longer speaking of civil rights, but of special privilege."

When rights have been withheld on the basis of a characteristic and the people having that characteristic protest and form a "movement" to get to practice that right, it is common for ...[text shortened]... ld be discussing whether something is a right or a privilege, not whether it has a prefix.
    That circumnavigates my argument, and we don't disagree except that you don't seem to get that it is the removal of privilege from the non aggrieved group, men in the case of women's suffrage. No new special right is created, rather the special privilege is eliminated, and the right generally extended to the aggrieved group.

During the process women's rights might be a topic, but in the end the rights became just human rights, by removal of the discriminatory privilege.

That would not have been the case if we had reasoned, "Women have been denied the vote for so long, we ought to give them two votes to make up for the past, to "level the playing field".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree