1. Germany
    Moves
    17 May '15 07:32
    Originally posted by Eladar
    If a company can't survive without money from the government, then perhaps the company shouldn't exist at all.
    Which company you know of operates without government assistance?
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 May '15 18:351 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    The more government regulations and restrictions that are put on a company the more the government has to assist them if they want them to do as they say and stay in business. We need oil, so the government would be really stupid to drive the oil companies out of business and turn the people against them by putting them all in poverty and driving the country backwards toward the dark ages. 😏
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 May '15 18:42
    Originally posted by vivify
    http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/may/12/us-taxpayers-subsidising-worlds-biggest-fossil-fuel-companies

Shell, ExxonMobil and Marathon Petroleum got subsidises granted by politicians who received significant campaign contributions from the fossil fuel industry, Guardian investigation reveals

[b] U.S. taxpayers subsidizing world's biggest foss ...[text shortened]... d gas industries benefited from subsidies of $550bn, four times those given to renewable energy.
    Climate change is always going to be with us. Only God can do anything about that. So only a fool would throw money at climate change and expect it to stop changing. 😏
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 May '15 19:11
    How are you defining government assistance?

Do you mean as in "does not get a special tax break or direct funds from the government"?

Do you mean exists in a country where the government has taken tax money to build roads and such?

I'm assuming you mean the 2nd.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 May '15 03:24
    How are you defining government assistance?

Do you mean as in "does not get a special tax break or direct funds from the government"?

Do you mean exists in a country where the government has taken tax money to build roads and such?

I'm assuming you mean the 2nd.
    I do not know of anyone that donates money to the government other than to politicians to influence their decisions and actions. The government demands money from the public be paid to the IRS so they can redistribute and use if for whatever the government sees fit.
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    19 May '15 21:15
    If a company can't survive without money from the government, then perhaps the company shouldn't exist at all.
    Point well made, and that would also apply to the big ones as well.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    20 May '15 12:43
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Point well made, and that would also apply to the big ones as well.
    So you think companies shouldn't exist?
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    20 May '15 18:04
    So you think companies shouldn't exist?
    What? You can't read. Companies ought to exist, independent of any government, and they can. In most cases, businesses small and large see government as an impediment.
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    20 May '15 18:05
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I do not know of anyone that donates money to the government other than to politicians to influence their decisions and actions. The government demands money from the public be paid to the IRS so they can redistribute and use if for whatever the government sees fit.
    Campaign finance records indicate that the large corporations make a practice of contributing to both sides. A bit like paying protection money to the mob.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree