1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Aug '16 12:422 edits
    ... by one of the so-called "victims"

A leader of the Druze population of the Golan Heights disputed the assertion of a United Nations committee that accused Israel of imposing economic and social hardships on his community.

Dulan abu-Saleh, the mayor of Majdal Shams, the largest Druze town in the Golan, told Makor Rishon that the U.N. Economic and Social Council’s recent statement on the area was “a total joke,” the daily reported Friday.

Unlike other Druze populations in Israel serve in the Israel Defense Forces, the Golan’s Druze population of some 20,000 has been careful not to align itself publicly with the Jewish state, which annexed the Golan in 1981 after capturing it from Syria during the Six-Day War of 1967.

The eruption in 2011 of a civil war in Syria changed that, causing a sharp increase in the number of Golan Druze who applied for Israeli citizenship, which has been available to them since 1981.

Abu-Saleh objected to the inclusion of his native area in the UN panel’s statement earlier this month, which said that “economic and social repercussions of the occupation on the living conditions of the Palestinian people in the occupied Palestinian territories, including east Jerusalem and the Arab population in the occupied Syrian Golan.”

“I don’t understand what they’re talking about, it’s laughable,” abu-Saleh said. Druze in the Golan “don’t serve in the IDF and so far are only receiving from the state.” Referencing the war in Syria, he said: “Why don’t they condemn the horrors in Syria, where dozens of children are killed daily? Golan residents have a good life.”

etc.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/215738

That the UN constantly singling out Israel for unwarranted criticism is a "total joke" is hardly news, but when the "victim" of oppression laughs in your face for criticizing the "oppressors," maybe a thick skull or two at the UN could potentially be penetrated.

Yeah, UN, I'm sure all of the non-Jews in the Golan's ardent desire is to go back to becoming Syrian territory right now. LOL!
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Aug '16 12:50
    Originally posted by sh76

[quote]A leader of the Druze population of the Golan Heights disputed the assertion of a United Nations committee that accused Israel of imposing economic and social hardships on his community.

Dulan abu-Saleh, the mayor of Majdal Shams, the largest Druze town in the Golan, told Makor Rishon that the U.N. Economic and ...[text shortened]... non-Jews in the Golan's ardent desire is to go back to becoming Syrian territory right now. LOL!
    Congratulations you found one guy.

The "sharp increase" in those applying for Israeli citizenship is a bit exaggerated:

There are now recurring reports of young Golan Druze applying for Israeli citizenship, breaking with the firm anti-Israel stand taken by the community over the past half century. However, most of these reports seem overstated, given that the phenomenon was limited to about 100 cases last year.

http://carnegieendowment.org/syriaincrisis/?fa=54479

Yes, Israel is trying to take advantage of the Syrian civil war to strengthen its illegal occupation of the Golan Heights. That is very typical of that regime.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Aug '16 12:54
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Congratulations you found one guy.

The "sharp increase" in those applying for Israeli citizenship is a bit exaggerated:

There are now recurring reports of young Golan Druze applying for Israeli citizenship, breaking with the firm anti-Israel stand taken by the community over the past half century. However, most of these reports seem overstated, giv ...[text shortened]... to strengthen its illegal occupation of the Golan Heights. That is very typical of that regime.
    The Mayor is the largest Druze town in the area is a rather significant "one guy."

In any case, if you were King of the world, what would you propose happen to the Golan as of this moment? Is it a good idea to give it to Syria just now? Is it capable of governing itself as an independent state?
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    01 Aug '16 12:58

[quote]A leader of the Druze population of the Golan Heights disputed the assertion of a United Nations committee that accused Israel of imposing economic and social hardships on his community.

Dulan abu-Saleh, the mayor of Majdal Shams, the largest Druze town in the Golan, told Makor Rishon that the U.N. Economic and ...[text shortened]... non-Jews in the Golan's ardent desire is to go back to becoming Syrian territory right now. LOL!
    great. you have one opinion. how many more do you need to balance out the thousands that denounce what israel is doing in Palestine?

or maybe if there is one opinion that agrees with your preconceived opinion, you don't need to look at the other facts?
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Aug '16 12:59
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    great. you have one opinion. how many more do you need to balance out the thousands that denounce what israel is doing in Palestine?

or maybe if there is one opinion that agrees with your preconceived opinion, you don't need to look at the other facts?
    See my post above.
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    01 Aug '16 13:001 edit
    See my post above.
    i saw it. you didn't address my point or no1's in the slightest. a mayor doesn't count as thousands of opinions to the contrary.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Aug '16 13:02
    The Mayor is the largest Druze town in the area is a rather significant "one guy."

In any case, if you were King of the world, what would you propose happen to the Golan as of this moment? Is it a good idea to give it to Syria just now? Is it capable of governing itself as an independent state?
    It's Syrian territory so it should be returned to Syria. Israel's annexation of the Heights and building of Jewish settlements after destroying villages and farms was contrary to international law. See UN Security Council Resolution 497 for details.
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    01 Aug '16 13:04
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    It's Syrian territory so it should be returned to Syria. Israel's annexation of the Heights and building of Jewish settlements after destroying villages and farms was contrary to international law. See UN Security Council Resolution 497 for details.
    "It's Syrian territory so it should be returned to Syria."
    it was syrian territory. now it is a territory inhabited by people that should decide who they want to belong to.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Aug '16 13:181 edit
    Apparently two years ago, the Druze in the Golan Heights requested that polling stations be put up there so they could vote in the Syrian Presidential election. It was conceded in the Israeli press that:

According to estimates, no surprises are expected should the Druze in the Golan Heights vote, as the majority intends to vote for Assad.

"If they let us take part in the elections, I will choose Assad," said a local resident from the town of Majdal Shams. "Assad is the suitable leader, he can defend the country from the plot against Syria, behind which stand Israel and the United States, and Arab countries like Saudi Arabia and Qatar. Assad is a wholesome, strong individual, which is why we need a leader like him."

A resident from the Druze town of Buq'ata added that "almost all the residents of the Golan Heights support Assad. He's the only candidate I'll choose if they let us participate in the elections. Even if we don't take part, we will support him from afar as we believe in his righteous way."

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4522851,00.html

Are mayors in the Golan Heights elected?

EDIT: I found the answer to my question:

Even the mayor of Majdal Shams is appointed by Israeli authorities.

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/26426-syrians-in-the-golan-heights-stuck-between-sectarian-war-and-unjust-occupation

Not very surprising he has nice things to say about Israel, is it?
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Aug '16 13:22
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    "It's Syrian territory so it should be returned to Syria."
    it was syrian territory. now it is a territory inhabited by people that should decide who they want to belong to.
    It remains Syrian territory. Israel ethnically cleansed it and then sent up Jewish settlements there:

The population of the Golan Heights prior to the 1967 Six-Day War has been estimated between 130,000 and 145,000, including 17,000 Palestinian refugees registered with UNRWA.[142] Between 80,000[97] and 130,000[98] Syrians fled or were driven from the heights during the Six-Day War and around 7,000 remained in the Israeli-held territory in six villages: Majdal Shams, Mas'ade, Buq'ata, Ein Qiniyye, Ghajar and Shayta.[98]
    Israel demolished over one hundred Syrian villages and farms in the Golan Heights.[143][144] After the demolitions, the lands were given to Israeli settlers.[145]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golan_Heights
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Aug '16 13:42
    See my post above.
    See the Edit to my post above.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Aug '16 13:49

So in summary, relying on this man's opinion as representative of what the Golan Heights' Druze think is like relying on Captain Renault's public statements in determining the political opinions of the man on the street in a certain North African city circa 1942.
  13. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    01 Aug '16 18:02

I'm a bit ignorant on the details here, but this seems similar to the situation in Hong Kong. If the non Jews in the Golan area do go back and become part of Syria, they may not like it very much once they do, although I doubt there will be any "umbrella protests" in the desert.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree