1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    07 Mar '13 03:21
    Is the CPI being reported in a fair way?

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/12/19/1172060/-Understating-the-CPI-101-or-Starving-Grandma#

How high should the stock market be if it was adjusted for inflation prior to the Boskin/Greenspan adjustment to CPI calculation?
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    07 Mar '13 18:59
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Is the CPI being reported in a fair way?

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/12/19/1172060/-Understating-the-CPI-101-or-Starving-Grandma#

How high should the stock market be if it was adjusted for inflation prior to the Boskin/Greenspan adjustment to CPI calculation?
    I make little or no effort to make sense of the CPI. It is another government generated data which doesn't really mean much due to the manipulation factor.

Seems I recall reading sometime in the last twelve months that housing and energy were not being counted in the CPI. WTF?
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    07 Mar '13 19:52
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I make little or no effort to make sense of the CPI. It is another government generated data which doesn't really mean much due to the manipulation factor.

Seems I recall reading sometime in the last twelve months that housing and energy were not being counted in the CPI. WTF?
    Right.

Other economic figures are messed up if you calculate the old way. If you adjust the stock market to inflation by calculating before the Boskin/Greenspan adjustment to CPI it would have to be a lot higher to reach a true record high.

People who are invested in TIPS are losing money to the real inflation rate.
    Treasury bonds are not worth buying.
    Gold was a better investment than all 3 of the above.
    Social Security checks have less buying power each year.
    GDP is not accurate either.

Austrian school economics may add up well without these manipulations for all we know. Perhaps Peter Schiff and Ron Paul will be vindicated in the end.
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    08 Mar '13 20:33
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Right.

Other economic figures are messed up if you calculate the old way. If you adjust the stock market to inflation by calculating before the Boskin/Greenspan adjustment to CPI it would have to be a lot higher to reach a true record high.

People who are invested in TIPS are losing money to the real inflation rate.
    Treasury bonds are not worth ...[text shortened]... manipulations for all we know. Perhaps Peter Schiff and Ron Paul will be vindicated in the end.
    The guru of Austrian school economics has to be Mises. All of the interventionist theories collapse under his logical and surgical incisions. In the end, all of the mixed economy theories come down to central planning and are contradictory and fail logically of their own contradictions.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    08 Mar '13 20:45
    Originally posted by normbenign
    The guru of Austrian school economics has to be Mises. All of the interventionist theories collapse under his logical and surgical incisions. In the end, all of the mixed economy theories come down to central planning and are contradictory and fail logically of their own contradictions.
    Newton was the best alchemist.
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    08 Mar '13 20:53
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Newton was the best alchemist.
    What does that have to do with economics?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree