1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 12:51
    Apparently freedom of speech does not apply to soldiers. Does this cross a line?

http://theweek.com/article/index/246321/the-army-really-doesnt-want-soldiers-reading-about-the-nsa-leaks
  2. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 14:15
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Apparently freedom of speech does not apply to soldiers. Does this cross a line?

http://theweek.com/article/index/246321/the-army-really-doesnt-want-soldiers-reading-about-the-nsa-leaks
    They do not have the same freedoms civilians have.
  3. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 14:431 edit

No, it does not cross the line. The military has been censoring news to and from our armed forces rank and file since before WW2. Sometimes in the case of genuine national security interests, this makes sense, sometimes it does not, but this is business as usual for the military. It's one of the realities of life in the armed forces. If you take their pay...you do it THEIR way!
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 16:22
    Originally posted by bill718
    No, it does not cross the line. The military has been censoring news to and from our armed forces rank and file since before WW2. Sometimes in the case of genuine national security interests, this makes sense, sometimes it does not, but this is business as usual for the military. It's one of the realities of life in the armed forces. If you take their pay...you do it THEIR way!
    I guess the military fears truth. That is why they must keep their pawns ignorant. That is what makes their pawns useful tools to be sacrificed.

"Military men are dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns for foreign policy." ~ Henry Kissinger ~ January-February 2003 edition of Eagle Newsletter
  5. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 17:06

A non-story. It only pertains to DOD computers to avoid spillage (classified material ending up on unclassified computers).

A place of employment is free to dictate how you use their equipment.
  6. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 17:10
    I guess the military fears truth. That is why they must keep their pawns ignorant. That is what makes their pawns useful tools to be sacrificed.

"Military men are dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns for foreign policy." ~ Henry Kissinger ~ January-February 2003 edition of Eagle Newsletter
    You're an idiot. I'm on active duty right now.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/
  7. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 18:40

I disagree. The military does lots of dumb things, but it's soldiers are not
    as dumb as you think.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 18:44
    The US military doesn't use Pawns. Our front rank is made up of Knights.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 19:24
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    You're an idiot. I'm on active duty right now.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/
    You are a stupid pawn and you don't know it because you are in denial. Patriotism is the best tool to turn you into a expendable tool of imperialism. Nobody invaded us but you think invading others is defense. 🙄
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 19:25
    Originally posted by bill718
    I disagree. The military does lots of dumb things, but it's soldiers are not
    as dumb as you think.
    Tell Kissinger that.
  11. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 19:43
    You are a stupid pawn and you don't know it because you are in denial. Patriotism is the best tool to turn you into a expendable tool of imperialism. Nobody invaded us but you think invading others is defense. 🙄
    Nice non-response. You're talking about things you have absolutely no clue about.

Supposedly the US Army is trying to keep us from accessing public information, but you have no idea how freaking retarded that notion is. I just SHOWED you that we have every bit of access to information that you do.

The military blocks access to classified materials from their ***own*** network so that spillage doesn't happen. If classified material ends up being accessed on a unclassified laptop, that computer then has to be wiped clean at the S6 shop.

It ONLY pertains to government computers, and only government computers. Most soldiers don't even use a computer at work, but we ALL have these little things called iPhones and home computers and Internet cafés and stuff like that.

Your claim they're trying to keep us from learning about the prism program is so amazingly stupid I don't know whether to laugh or cry. In fact, I recently sent one of my soldiers to the promotion board. One of the topics they get questioned on at the board's current events. He was specifically asked about the prism controversy and was expected to know about it. They not only allow, they expect us to keep up with current events.

If you are going to exude such a condescending attitude towards soldiers, you may want to start by knowing what the hell you're talking about. Because right now you look like a flat-out idiot.
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 19:54
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Nice non-response. You're talking about things you have absolutely no clue about.

Supposedly the US Army is trying to keep us from accessing public information, but you have no idea how freaking retarded that notion is. I just SHOWED you that we have every bit of access to information that you do.

The military blocks access to classified mat ...[text shortened]... ing what the hell you're talking about. Because right now you look like a flat-out idiot.
    Then why are they censoring anything if it can be accessed? You are contradicting yourself. They can't censor everything but they can try to minimize access and that is the point. Just because you know doesn't mean everybody in the army knows.

Tell me why censorship is happening at all. If it is not then tell us the article is false information.

Do you support PRISM? Be honest.
  13. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 20:101 edit
    Then why are they censoring anything if it can be accessed? You are contradicting yourself. They can't censor everything but they can try to minimize access and that is the point. Just because you know doesn't mean everybody in the army knows.

Tell me why censorship is happening at all. If it is not then tell us the article is false information.

Do you support PRISM? Be honest.
    Reading is fundamental. It's in my post.

"The military blocks access to classified materials from their ***own*** network so that spillage doesn't happen. If classified material ends up being accessed on a unclassified laptop, that computer then has to be wiped clean at the S6 shop."

Edit: And by the way, it's not false information. It's a bunch of tool bags who have no idea about the complexities of the military getting a hard on and drawing conclusions from every bit of information, which happens aaalllll the time.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jul '13 23:381 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    04 Jul '13 01:46
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Oh, for crying out loud. You do know I'm active military, right?

When you go to the link (that us military guys can't go to) the image is a bunch of hands holding a picture of Snowden.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree