1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 13:141 edit
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100819/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_iraq_americans_head_home

There will be some flare-ups now and again, I'm sure. But it will be interesting to see whether the country remains more or less stable. It will be nice that we may actually get some fair reporting on this issue because:

- The left is interested in seeing peace to vindicate Obama's decision to withdraw
    - The right is interested in seeing peace to vindicate Bush's decision to invade

So, maybe, on this one issue, we won't see as many headless Chicken Littles screaming about how every incident of violence in Iraq means the end of civilization.
  2. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 13:17
    Originally posted by sh76

There will be some flare-ups now and again, I'm sure. But it will be interesting to see whether the country remains more or less stable. It will be nice that we may actually get some fair reporting on this issue because:

- The left is interested in seeing peace to vindicate Oba ...[text shortened]... ittles screaming about how every incident of violence in Iraq means the end of civilization.
    I don't mean to piss down your back and tell you it's raining, but the truth is that there are still plenty of troops in Iraq.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 13:24
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    I don't mean to piss down your back and tell you it's raining, but the truth is that there are still plenty of troops in Iraq.
    Yes, but they're there merely in advisory roles to train Iraqi troops and police. The combat troops have withdrawn.
  4. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 13:25
    Yes, but they're there merely in advisory roles to train Iraqi troops and police.
    Do you actually believe that?
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 13:27
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    Do you actually believe that?
    That's what is being reported and I have no specific reason to doubt it.
  6. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 13:29
    That's what is being reported and I have no specific reason to doubt it.
    Ok then. But if you dig just a little bit deeper you'll find a lot of reasons to doubt it.
  7. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 14:01

- The left is interested in seeing peace to vindicate Oba ...[text shortened]... ittles screaming about how every incident of violence in Iraq means the end of civilization.
    Do you think that some/many on the left and right may just want peace and thatis their motivation?
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 14:08
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Do you think that some/many on the left and right may just want peace and thatis their motivation?
    People perhaps want peace; but in the media and with many politicians, if violence means political points, well, that's what they're gonna look for.
  9. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 14:13
    People perhaps want peace; but in the media and with many politicians, if violence means political points, well, that's what they're gonna look for.
    Well, politicians usually don't have real beliefs. They just have what they think will get them campaign contributions and votes.

Wow. Sometimes I am surprised by how jaded I am sometimes.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 14:34
    Well, politicians usually don't have real beliefs. They just have what they think will get them campaign contributions and votes.

Wow. Sometimes I am surprised by how jaded I am sometimes.
    A couple of weeks ago, I was speaking to a friend, Fred, we'll call him, who's a local town councilman. He's supporting a local development project because his political ally in high places is supporting it.

So, he's arguing with some guy about the project, repeating all of his clichés in support of the project, etc. All of a sudden, the other guy gets into it and ticks off a litany of reasons why the project is a bad idea. He's talking for 2 minutes and when he's done, Fred smiles, looks at him and says "Fred for Town Council" and walks away.

We're really proud of him; he's a true politician.
  11. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 16:34

Is that truly something to be proud of?
  12. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 17:24
    No. And you're not jaded, just reporting the unfortunate facts about practically all our politicians.
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 17:54
    I was being 60% sarcastic. "Proud" in the sense of "awww... how cute; just like a real politician."
  14. silicon valley
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 22:19
    A couple of weeks ago, I was speaking to a friend, Fred, we'll call him, who's a local town councilman. He's supporting a local development project because his political ally in high places is supporting it.

So, he's arguing with some guy about the project, repeating all of his clichés in support of the project, etc. All of a sudden, the other guy gets into ...[text shortened]... or Town Council" and walks away.

not much of a ring to it, but i bet it gets a lot more votes than "sh76 for Town Council".
  15. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 23:08
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    No. And you're not jaded, just reporting the unfortunate facts about practically all our politicians.
    There are definitely some politicians that I think have some real principle. They are a dying breed due to various interests that no one seems to have the real will to change.

It is more profitable to sell your principles.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree