Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Subscriber divegeester
    Nice suit...
    26 Dec '14 08:34
    I find it hard to believe that this hasn't been brought up in here before, so apologies if it has, but apparently the US government has a patent on the latest strain of Ebola.

    http://www.google.com/patents/US20120251502

    Why would a government patent a virus?
  2. 26 Dec '14 18:56
    You patent what you invented in order to stop others from profiting from the same invention using the result of your work and effort.

    I really don't see how this applies to a virus, since presumably you can't patent what you didn't invent. Otherwise I would patent the game of Chess.
  3. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    26 Dec '14 20:28
    ABSTRACT

    Compositions and methods including and related to the Ebola Bundibugyo virus (EboBun) are provided. Compositions are provided that are operable as immunogens to elicit and immune response or protection from EboBun challenge in a subject such as a primate. Inventive methods are directed to detection and treatment of EboBun infection.
  4. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    26 Dec '14 22:39
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I find it hard to believe that this hasn't been brought up in here before, so apologies if it has, but apparently the US government has a patent on the latest strain of Ebola.

    http://www.google.com/patents/US20120251502

    Why would a government patent a virus?
    To prevent any other agent claiming a patent and thus blocking scientific work.
  5. Subscriber divegeester
    Nice suit...
    26 Dec '14 23:49
    Originally posted by finnegan
    To prevent any other agent claiming a patent and thus blocking scientific work.
    How can someone patent something they did not invent?
  6. 27 Dec '14 18:43
    This is a decent article on it, but it still does not answer everything.

    http://www.ibtimes.com/us-government-wants-patent-ebola-virus-heres-why-thats-good-thing-1719681
  7. Subscriber divegeester
    Nice suit...
    29 Dec '14 13:59 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    This is a decent article on it, but it still does not answer everything.

    http://www.ibtimes.com/us-government-wants-patent-ebola-virus-heres-why-thats-good-thing-1719681
    It seems there is a whole spectrum of conspiracy theories surrounding this and I would like to add one more... there is nothing better to cover up some Governmental misbehaviour than a good conspiracy theory.

    I think the way to get at least close to the truth in theses matters is to firstly look at the extremes and consider what is most likely; for example the extremes here could be:

    A) there is nothing untoward going on the US government patent on the Ebola virus is merely to prevent the "other lot" using our data. Hmmm.

    B) the government is part of an illuminati scheme to reduce the world population to 500,000,000 by next Thursday.

    Somewhere between these extremes lies the truth. Probably.
  8. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    29 Dec '14 15:47
    Calm down people. They patented some process not the virus.
  9. Subscriber divegeester
    Nice suit...
    29 Dec '14 16:22
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Calm down people. They patented some process not the virus.
    Spoil sport.


    Are you sure....?
  10. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    29 Dec '14 17:54
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Spoil sport.


    Are you sure....?
    See the abstract I quoted above.