Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 19 Mar '13 16:51 / 1 edit
    http://cnsnews.com/news/article/feds-spend-38-million-decrease-human-elephant-conflict


    Why give the government money when it spends it like this?

    http://cnsnews.com/news/article/27m-federal-study-why-do-lesbians-have-higher-risk-hazardous-drinking

    The US government is out of control.
  2. 19 Mar '13 16:53
    Originally posted by Eladar
    http://cnsnews.com/news/article/feds-spend-38-million-decrease-human-elephant-conflict


    Why give the government money when it spends it like this?
    Couldn't agree more. If zookeepers see the need, let them donate the money. The only elephants in the US are in zoos.
  3. 19 Mar '13 17:02
    Wait till you find out how much the spend on arms. You'll never pay taxes again!
  4. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    19 Mar '13 17:04
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Wait till you find out how much the spend on arms. You'll never pay taxes again!
    Zing!
  5. 19 Mar '13 17:23
    Originally posted by Eladar
    http://cnsnews.com/news/article/feds-spend-38-million-decrease-human-elephant-conflict


    Why give the government money when it spends it like this?

    http://cnsnews.com/news/article/27m-federal-study-why-do-lesbians-have-higher-risk-hazardous-drinking

    The US government is out of control.
    The government is swayed by interest groups, to the degree that they have political power. (Dictatorships usually aren't so swayed, certainly not by elephant huggers.) Some of those interest groups might oppose your interests and you might oppose some of theirs. It's part of what has made Amurrica great!

    Besides, saving the elephants will secure a longer term supply of ivory hanko stamps, trinkets and statuettes that are so vital to civilization as we know it.
  6. 19 Mar '13 17:59
    Originally posted by sh76
    Zing!
    We know that a major responsibility of government under the Constitution is defense. We also suspect that a lot of "defense" isn't defensive. We spend way too much on arms, but some other things have no Constitutional basis, or rational reason for the expense.
  7. 19 Mar '13 18:14
    Originally posted by normbenign
    We know that a major responsibility of government under the Constitution is defense. We also suspect that a lot of "defense" isn't defensive. We spend way too much on arms, but some other things have no Constitutional basis, or rational reason for the expense.
    In America, a rational reason for something like saving the elephants can be "We have been led to think that a majority of the citizens want it, and it's not been declared unconstitutional by SCOTUS. If the people don't really want it we will hear about it. If the gripers aren't able to mount a political campaign to defeat it, they don't dislike it enough."
  8. 19 Mar '13 18:44
    Originally posted by JS357
    In America, a rational reason for something like saving the elephants can be "We have been led to think that a majority of the citizens want it, and it's not been declared unconstitutional by SCOTUS. If the people don't really want it we will hear about it. If the gripers aren't able to mount a political campaign to defeat it, they don't dislike it enough."
    There is a difference between stuff not prohibited by the Constitution or SCOTUS, and those things that are enumerated duties of government.

    You are right that we haven't been vocal enough.
  9. 20 Mar '13 16:01
    Originally posted by sh76
    Zing!
    Liberals are pathetic.

    Spending money on national defense is a proper use of the government as defined by the US Constitution.

    I'm all for finding and getting rid of fraud in the military industrial complex, but state of the art equipment is going to cost money and hopefully save US lives.

    I know some people have difficulty seeing the difference between US lives and lives of those who attack the US, but such people are pathetic.
  10. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    20 Mar '13 18:54
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Liberals are pathetic.

    Spending money on national defense is a proper use of the government as defined by the US Constitution.

    I'm all for finding and getting rid of fraud in the military industrial complex, but state of the art equipment is going to cost money and hopefully save US lives.

    I know some people have difficulty seeing the difference between US lives and lives of those who attack the US, but such people are pathetic.
    When was the last time supercarriers and stealth jets saved American lives?
  11. 20 Mar '13 19:49
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    When was the last time supercarriers and stealth jets saved American lives?
    Stealth jets? How about the ones the flew over Iraq?

    Supercarriers? Well, when they are used they could have been used to save the guys in Lybia.
  12. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    21 Mar '13 01:51
    How does bombing Iraq save American lives?
  13. 21 Mar '13 15:53
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    How does bombing Iraq save American lives?
    It isn't the bombing that saves lives. It plane saves the life of the American who is flying it.
  14. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    21 Mar '13 16:47
    Originally posted by Eladar
    It isn't the bombing that saves lives. It plane saves the life of the American who is flying it.
    They would not be flying those missions without the stealth jet.
  15. 21 Mar '13 17:52
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    They would not be flying those missions without the stealth jet.
    If you agree with it or not, when it comes to war it saves US lives. War will come eventually.