1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Apr '14 20:12
    Originally posted by finnegan
    America might like to try another version of democracy.

For a start, it might like to reverse the Supreme Court decisions that grant inappropriate rights and privileges to corporations and that permit unlimited financial manipulation in politics.

But even if all that were a fantasy, it would be a fine thing if ordinary Americans abandoned their ideological blinkers.
    You are making a point I only hinted at. It would take a makeover of the psychology of large numbers of Americans to bring about a change in the power structure. The existing power structure has no interest in that. If anything, the trend is toward less education, less inquisitiveness, less rationalism, less citizen involvement in civic affairs, etc. We'd need a blockbuster Snowden event to stir that up.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Apr '14 20:201 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    19 Apr '14 21:231 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    You are making a point I only hinted at. It would take a makeover of the psychology of large numbers of Americans to bring about a change in the power structure. The existing power structure has no interest in that. If anything, the trend is toward less education, less inquisitiveness, less rationalism, less citizen involvement in civic affairs, etc. We'd need a blockbuster Snowden event to stir that up.
    The English education system was similarly hamstrung by the process starting in 1988 under Thatcher with an Education Reform Act. The education minister of the time has written that he was surprised to get away with his vicious attack on the teaching profession. That has subsequently been built on to achieve an education system in which for example there is virtually no preparation to understand politics.

If we have reason to hope, it may be in the power of new media to spark off different thinking. However that can cut every way including promoting weird faery dust.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Apr '14 23:28
    Originally posted by finnegan
    The English education system was similarly hamstrung by the process starting in 1988 under Thatcher with an Education Reform Act. The education minister of the time has written that he was surprised to get away with his vicious attack on the teaching profession. That has subsequently been built on to achieve an education system in which for example there is ...[text shortened]... rk off different thinking. However that can cut every way including promoting weird faery dust.
    Are the students in England still allowed to cuss out their teachers only once a day?
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Apr '14 00:42
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    thats exactly what I am saying.
    Lies!!

Just so you know, I've e-mailed the White House and alerted Obama about what you are saying about him. 😠
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Apr '14 19:343 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    Lies!!

Just so you know, I've e-mailed the White House and alerted Obama about what you are saying about him. 😠
    the gigs over, out ya go, you are powerless to effect any change! its time to face the facts whoders, new boss same as the old boss! you were better off under the tyranny of the British! America is a failed state.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '14 20:13
    the gigs over, out ya go, you are powerless to effect any change! its time to face the facts whoders, new boss same as the old boss! you were better off under the tyranny of the British! America is a failed state.
    Exactly. Looks like it is about time for another Revolution.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Apr '14 20:24
    Originally posted by Eladar
    why what makes you think this one will achieve any more than the last one?
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '14 20:26
    Over time things change. Yes, even if we had a successful revolution that will only be a temporary victory. Every so often evil will take over and need to be replaced. It is the nature of things and is why it is called a revolution.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '14 20:31
    Can't you see? It'll usher in a libertarian utopia.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Apr '14 20:321 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    Can't you see? It'll usher in a libertarian utopia.
    I see, how vewy vewy awesome! I am a bit of a Luddite myself but have no problem with libertarians or librarians or Agrarians!
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Apr '14 20:39
    Over time things change. Yes, even if we had a successful revolution that will only be a temporary victory. Every so often evil will take over and need to be replaced. It is the nature of things and is why it is called a revolution.
    every so often, like when the opposition is in power?
  13. Germany
    Moves
    20 Apr '14 20:55
    Absolutely. An army of angry, obese, old men with hunting rifles against the US army. I'd love to see that!
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Apr '14 15:19
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Absolutely. An army of angry, obese, old men with hunting rifles against the US army. I'd love to see that!
    The US army is sworn to uphold the Constitution. This is why Obama needs his other army. It is quite likely the US army will join the old men.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Apr '14 15:20
    every so often, like when the opposition is in power?
    The opposition is always in power. We get to choose between two establishment candidates. Either way, we lose.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree