1. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    31 Jan '16 21:35
    Apparently the NSA in an internal memo boasted that they had cracked Israeli drones and could see everything the Israeli drone handlers could. The allegations come from Snowden's leak. The Israeli minister Yuval Steinitz said that he wasn't surprised as the Americans spy on everyone.

Aside from the issue of ethics in International Relations this does raise the question of how secure a drone is. It is a little difficult to hack a human pilot so that he turns round and bombs his own people. With a drone this appears to be possible, with the added problem that the hackers need not automatically be state players, or, even if they are, feel obliged to obey the normal rules of war regarding strategic bombing since the propaganda advantage of an apparent own goal would probably outweigh any concerns about enemy civilians and one would have to prove that it was the enemy that did it. The future of aerial warfare seems to be going in the direction of drones so I wonder what people think.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-35440523
  2. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    31 Jan '16 21:38
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Apparently the NSA in an internal memo boasted that they had cracked Israeli drones and could see everything the Israeli drone handlers could. The allegations come from Snowden's leak. The Israeli minister Yuval Steinitz said that he wasn't surprised as the Americans spy on everyone.

Aside from the issue of ethics in International Relations this doe ...[text shortened]... of drones so I wonder what people think.

Seeing what they see is one thing but if one nation hacks anothers drones and is able to fire a weapon from it, then it looks like an open door to false flag attacks.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    31 Jan '16 23:23
    Iran hacked a US drone so this is nothing new
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 03:47
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Iran hacked a US drone so this is nothing new
    Possibly, I've heard different versions of what happened, including that the Iranians didn't crack the security as such but jammed it's communication with it's home base or fed it incorrect GPS information causing "controlled flight into terrain", although since Iran presented the airframe the latter is unlikely as it was in one piece. There are three essential differences, the first is that Iran and the US are hostile to one another, whereas Israel is an ally. The second is that this is not an isolated incident but has been going on for nearly 20 years. The third is that they seem to have had complete access to at least the outbound communications, so they have the potential for much more control.
  5. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 05:48
    Originally posted by DeepThought

Aside from the issue of ethics in International Relations this doe ...[text shortened]... of drones so I wonder what people think.

The NSA thinks it has to know everything that's going on. I suppose this information could be of some value, but I wonder if this is really the highest and best use of our tax money.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree