1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 17:01
    VAT is a regressive tax. I don't approve of it.
  2. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 18:49
    Originally posted by FMF
    We're not going to have a VAT in America. [Unless the Republicans take control again - it is their secret fantasy, right up there with ending Social Security (tho Lord knows how most of them will live once that and Medicare are cut.)] They run around screaming about the debt while they allow billions to be scooped out of the treasury for their corporate friends. I was happy to hear them moaning about about the billion dollars that AT&T was going to have to actually pay in taxes now that the health insurance bill has ended some sweet accounting tricks. They sky is always falling when your head is bumping against your colon and Krauthammer is example number one for that. The fact that he passes for "intelligent" on the right is all that need be said about the sorry state of the Republican party. A health insurance bill gets passed that most mainline Democrats wouldn't walk across the street to spit on because it mostly contains crap that the Republicans have been giving lip service to for years and then the Republicans run into the streets full of fear about the deficit (they can say that with a straight face?!) and start predicting that some evil thing that they've advocated for years might happen? I would call this whole thread a waste of time if it was not just the umpteenth time I've heard this bull. Somebody get a shovel, please.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 19:58
    Originally posted by FMF
    On the plus side, however, it's easy to enforce and hard to evade. I think there should be a decent VAT, say 20%, combined with a highly progressive income taxation that picks up somewhere after the minimum wage.
  4. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 20:10
    Just a note on taxes.. Today in the year 1958 Elvis Presley was formally inducted in to the Army. This cost the US government 500K in lost tax revenues.....
    The needs of the many surpass the needs of the few.

UP, we can change this in time..... we have to make votes count. After all, we still live in the best country in the world. The split in opinion on the Health care, should not be taken with a grain of salt. The time will come, for those with patience.
    One nation, under God.
  5. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 04:26
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    We're not going to have a VAT in America. [Unless the Republicans take control again - it is their secret fantasy, right up there with ending Social Security (tho Lord knows how most of them will live once that and Medicare are cut.)] They run around screaming about the debt while they allow billions to be scooped out of the treasury for their corporate ...[text shortened]... if it was not just the umpteenth time I've heard this bull. Somebody get a shovel, please.
    "We're not going to have a VAT in America. [Unless the Republicans take control again - it is their secret fantasy,..." -TerrierJack

Apr 6, 2010
    President Obama's advisor Paul Volcker today said that the U.S. should consider raising taxes and implementing a value-added tax.

"Volcker, answering a question from the audience at a New York Historical Society event, said the value-added tax "was not as toxic an idea" as it has been in the past and also said a carbon or other energy-related tax may become necessary.

Though he acknowledged that both were still unpopular ideas, he said getting entitlement costs and the U.S. budget deficit under control may require such moves. "If at the end of the day we need to raise taxes, we should raise taxes," he said."

SEPTEMBER 29, 2009,
    The U.S. should consider a tax on carbon or a value-added tax if it can’t tackle the deficit by cutting government spending, former Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker said in an interview to be aired Tuesday and Wednesday on PBS.

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2009/09/29/volcker-carbon-tax-vat-should-be-on-the-table/tab/article/
  6. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 09:10
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    "We're not going to have a VAT in America. [Unless the Republicans take control again - it is their secret fantasy,..." -TerrierJack

Apr 6, 2010
    [b]President Obama's advisor Paul Volcker today said that the U.S. should consider raising taxes and implementing a value-added tax.

"Volcker, answering a question from the audience at a New York ...[text shortened]... sj.com/economics/2009/09/29/volcker-carbon-tax-vat-should-be-on-the-table/tab/article/[/b]
    Yeah, you're so right, 'cause Paul Volker not only speaks for every Democrat, he also secretly rules the world. Seriously, you got any more orifices to pull rabbits from? I stand by my original statement. A VAT is the wet-dream of just about every Midwest Republican congressional semi-pro golfer - and no one else in the whole country.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree