Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    31 Dec '16 17:122 edits
    The company released a statement on Friday night saying that the malware code had been detected during a scan of a single company laptop. However, soon after publication of the Post’s story, it was revealed that the malware had only infected a utility company laptop that had no access whatsoever to the electrical grid.

    Naturally, the US media promptly ran with the story as further evidence of Russian hacking of critical US infrastructure and national interests: the WaPo wrote "Russian operation hacked a Vermont utility, showing risk to U.S. electrical grid security, officials say" (originally the article's title was "Russian hackers penetrated U.S. electricity grid through a utility in Vermont, official say" which we now know was simply (fake news), the AP added "Vermont Utility Finds Malware Code Attributed to Russians."

    According to some cybersecurity specialists, the code came from an outdated Ukrainian hacking tool. As RT notes, IT specialists that have analyzed the code and other evidence published by the US government are questioning whether it really proves a Russian connection, let alone a connection to the Russian government. Wordfence, a cybersecurity firm that specializes in protecting websites running WordPress, a PHP-based platform, published a report on the issue on Friday.

    Wordfence said they had traced the malware code to a tool available online, which is apparently funded by donations, called P.A.S. that claims to be “made in Ukraine.” The version tested by the FBI/DHS report is 3.1.7, while the most current version available on the tool’s website is 4.1.1b.

    "One might reasonably expect Russian intelligence operatives to develop their own tools or at least use current malicious tools from outside sources,” the report says.

    The second part of the analysis deals with the list of IP addresses provided by the US agencies. The report says they “don’t appear to provide any association with Russia” and “are probably used by a wide range of other malicious actors.”

    So lets gets this, NO penetration of the grid, Outdated malware and NO evidence linking the incident to the Russkies. Ouch!

    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-12-31/russian-hackers-said-penetrate-us-electricity-grid-using-outdated-ukrainian-malware
  2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    31 Dec '16 17:40
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    The company released a statement on Friday night saying that the malware code had been detected during a scan of a single company laptop. However, soon after publication of the Post’s story, it was revealed that the malware had only infected a utility company laptop that had no access whatsoever to the electrical grid.

    Naturally, the US media prom ...[text shortened]... s/2016-12-31/russian-hackers-said-penetrate-us-electricity-grid-using-outdated-ukrainian-malware
    Zerohedge? RT?

    Please.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    31 Dec '16 17:44
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Zerohedge? RT?

    Please.
    Questioning sources without contradicting support?

    Please.
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    31 Dec '16 17:54
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Questioning sources without contradicting support?

    Please.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/russian-hackers-penetrated-us-electricity-grid-through-a-utility-in-vermont/2016/12/30/8fc90cc4-ceec-11e6-b8a2-8c2a61b0436f_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_electrichack-810pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.94a32655f963
  5. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    31 Dec '16 18:102 edits
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/russian-hackers-penetrated-us-electricity-grid-through-a-utility-in-vermont/2016/12/30/8fc90cc4-ceec-11e6-b8a2-8c2a61b0436f_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_electrichack-810pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.94a32655f963
    Your report provides no evidence that it was either Russians nor Russian state sponsored hacking. Furthermore the headline has been altered from the original. Here is the original headline, a now discredited source of fake news.

    https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/815041888273186819/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
  6. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    31 Dec '16 20:03
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Your report provides no evidence that it was either Russians nor Russian state sponsored hacking. Furthermore the headline has been altered from the original. Here is the original headline, a now discredited source of fake news.

    https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/815041888273186819/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
    The Washington Post has been a highly acclaimed and reputable daily newspaper for many, many decades.

    The sources Zero Hedge and RT (Russia Today) are strongly influenced, if not controlled, by the Russian government.

    To each his own.
  7. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    31 Dec '16 20:08
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/815041888273186819/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
    By the way, who is Eric Geller?
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52855
    31 Dec '16 21:341 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Your report provides no evidence that it was either Russians nor Russian state sponsored hacking. Furthermore the headline has been altered from the original. Here is the original headline, a now discredited source of fake news.

    https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/815041888273186819/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
    So you figure the Russians are just misunderstood school boys with no intent to do harm to the west?

    Just remember, you are pretty safe from such attacks, nobody is going after Scotland grids and such.
  9. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    31 Dec '16 21:483 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So you figure the Russians are just misunderstood school boys with no intent to do harm to the west?

    Just remember, you are pretty safe from such attacks, nobody is going after Scotland grids and such.
    No, if you read the article you will understand that international espionage is a flourishing business. What I am actually saying is that the Washington Post article as it was initially presented was fake news, The Russians had not penetrated the grid and there was NO EVIDENCE that they had. The evidence that was proffered was that it was a piece of obsolete malware that anyone and I mean anyone can get from the internet and that the IP addresses could belong to anyone, but hey the Russkies did it. What a steaming pile of nonsense.
  10. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    31 Dec '16 21:521 edit
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    The Washington Post has been a highly acclaimed and reputable daily newspaper for many, many decades.

    The sources Zero Hedge and RT (Russia Today) are strongly influenced, if not controlled, by the Russian government.

    To each his own.
    This nothing more than an argument ad populum, many people acclaim it therefore it must be good. What a piece of nonsense. The Washington Post was caught fabricating fake news, the evidence is there, deny it you cannot that is why you need to compensate for it with these lame references to how good it allegedly is. I agree a highly acclaimed faker of news at which it excels.

    The BBC is government controlled and you suck that up. Have you any idea how biased and corrupt the BBC is?
  11. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    31 Dec '16 21:56
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    By the way, who is Eric Geller?
    Its in the article, I suggest you read it.
  12. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    31 Dec '16 23:232 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse to Robbie Carrobie
    So you figure the Russians are just misunderstood school boys with no intent to do harm to the west?

    Just remember, you are pretty safe from such attacks, nobody is going after Scotland grids and such.
    I don't believe that Russia's particularly motivated 'to do harm to the West'.
    I believe that Russia's motivated to stop perceived Western interference in what Russia
    regards as its rightful sphere of influence (the countries of the former USSR).

    I don't believe that Putin's as admirable as Donald Trump believes.
    I also don't believe that Putin's another Hitler, who aims to conquer Europe.

    Everyone (including supposed allies) attempts to spy upon about everyone else.
    (Israel spied upon the USA, a fact that pro-Israeli American politicians like to pretend never happened.)
    I don't share the position of 'this hacking proves Russia's evil and the USA's wonderful'.
    But the USA has the right to call out Russia for spying (or hacking) when it gets caught.
  13. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    01 Jan '17 01:13
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    This nothing more than an argument ad populum, many people acclaim it therefore it must be good. What a piece of nonsense. The Washington Post was caught fabricating fake news, the evidence is there, deny it you cannot that is why you need to compensate for it with these lame references to how good it allegedly is. I agree a highly acclaimed faker ...[text shortened]... overnment controlled and you suck that up. Have you any idea how biased and corrupt the BBC is?
    The New York Times has the story now, along with The Associated Press, Reuters, The Guardian, all the major TV networks.

    Wouldn't you be happier living in Moscow?
  14. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    01 Jan '17 04:23
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Its in the article, I suggest you read it.
    Was that a hard question?
  15. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    01 Jan '17 11:03
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Was that a hard question?
    not if you read the article its not.
Back to Top