1. Germany
    Moves
    07 Aug '11 20:29
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    NO WE MUST BE #1 😠
    Near the top of the list are some small oil-producing states and tax havens.

1 Luxembourg 108,832
    2 Norway 84,444
    3 Qatar 76,168
    4 Switzerland 67,246
    5 United Arab Emirates 59,717
    6 Denmark 56,147
    7 Australia 55,590
    8 Sweden 48,875
    9 United States 47,284
    10 Netherlands 47,172
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    07 Aug '11 20:301 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Near the top of the list are some small oil-producing states and tax havens.

1 Luxembourg 108,832
    2 Norway 84,444
    3 Qatar 76,168
    4 Switzerland 67,246
    5 United Arab Emirates 59,717
    6 Denmark 56,147
    7 Australia 55,590
    8 Sweden 48,875
    9 United States 47,284
    10 Netherlands 47,172
    You're lucky you're below us. You've just given us targets. Time to make them asplode!

EDIT - Worked for us in the 20th century...
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Aug '11 20:301 edit
    Well, it could be fifth or so, with some reforms, but 9th is still very good especially considering the population of the US (China, for example, is 94th on the same 2010 IMF list), and hardly "sucky".
    We are still suffering from economic problems and until those problems are fixed and we see the kind of growth that we're used to seeing(I think somewhere around 5% ), our economy will be 'sucky'.

In any case, I still don't see anyone talking about funding the war. It is something I guess most people don't wish to talk about.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    07 Aug '11 20:35
    Originally posted by Eladar
    We are still suffering from economic problems and until those problems are fixed and we see the kind of growth that we're used to seeing(I think somewhere around 5% ), our economy will be 'sucky'.

In any case, I still don't see anyone talking about funding the war. It is something I guess most people don't wish to talk about.
    Expecting 5% annual growth as a norm is bizarre and, frankly, stupid.

The GOP currently seems rather opposed to funding expenses.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Aug '11 20:46
    The average US quarterly growth rate from 1947 to 2011 is 3.28%, so I don't see how a 5% growth rate is out of the question.

I don't think that the GOP would be against raising money to fund the war. The GOP would lose a lot of support if they were to oppose a tax to pay for the war.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    07 Aug '11 20:52
    The average US quarterly growth rate from 1947 to 2011 is 3.28%, so I don't see how a 5% growth rate is out of the question.

I don't think that the GOP would be against raising money to fund the war. The GOP would lose a lot of support if they were to oppose a tax to pay for the war.
    And yet many GOP lawmakers who vehemently opposed doing exactly that got voted into office in 2010.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Aug '11 20:54
    And yet many GOP lawmakers who vehemently opposed doing exactly that got voted into office in 2010.
    That's because they are as stupid as Obama. They think they got elected because of their ideas, not as a reaction to Obama.
  8. Joined
    06 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Aug '11 21:13

Of course a persistent 5% growth per year is out of the question. The richer a country becomes, the harder it will be to have a high percentage growth. 1947 USA was dirt poor compared to 2011 USA, so don't hope for similar growth rates.
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    08 Aug '11 03:23
    Expecting 5% annual growth as a norm is bizarre and, frankly, stupid.

The GOP currently seems rather opposed to funding expenses.
    "The GOP currently seems rather opposed to funding expenses."

We've just given an unlimited credit card to an addicted government. The problem is not revenue. It is spending.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Aug '11 21:02
    Norm,

I'm glad you chimed in. Is there also a problem with fighting a war without raising the funds to fight it? Yes, part of the problem is that we have too much social spending, but the other is an unfunded war!

What do you think about raising a special tax to actually pay for the war? Once the funds have been raised, the tax automatically expires.
  11. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    10 Aug '11 05:32
    I find it rather strange that no one is talking about how GW started (and Obama continues) wars that are unfunded!

Our soldiers risk their lives, but no one is being asked to foot the bill. No one is being asked to contribute to the war. I find that rather strange.

Why has no one figured out exactly how much we've spent on these wars (Lybia included) ...[text shortened]... a 1% national sales tax that will expire once the total cost for the wars has been collected.
    What on earth are you babbling about?

http://costofwar.com/en/

I'd post the figure, but it's a running count.
    I think you'll need to sell a kidney to help your country out, pal.
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Aug '11 06:36
    The economy is sucky, but a 1% sales tax won't hurt it.

As for our weapons being no good, all I can say is that I hope not. But then again, perhaps Germany and France have a better military.
    Raising the sales tax will not help the economy.

The sales tax is regressive in the sense that it burdens the poor because they spend a higher percentage of their income than the wealthy.
  13. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    10 Aug '11 06:381 edit
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    What on earth are you babbling about?

http://costofwar.com/en/

I'd post the figure, but it's a running count.
    I think you'll need to sell a kidney to help your country out, pal.
    The war in Lybia is costing th USA 2-3 million daily, we fund 75 % of that action,, oh did I call it a war,, DOH..now lets get right over to Somalia too, where the situation is much worse,, maybe, just maybe some other country can get there first..Holland?
    Oh wait most of Europe is going down the sewer.
    In times like these we circle the wagons and recover ourselves, before we can help the rest of this planet.... been doing it for too many years now....
    Most of the people of Holland owe the USA more than a kidney..... as do the French.
  14. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    10 Aug '11 08:20
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    Most of the people of Holland owe the USA more than a kidney..... as do the French.
    Do they? Why do I owe the US anything, let alone a valued piece of my anatomy?
    Mhmmm?
    Why? What has the US done for me lately, buddy?

Now, before you answer, think. Because if you mention WWII I will mention the war of independance.
  15. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    10 Aug '11 18:06
    I find it rather strange that no one is talking about how GW started (and Obama continues) wars that are unfunded!

Our soldiers risk their lives, but no one is being asked to foot the bill. No one is being asked to contribute to the war. I find that rather strange.

Why has no one figured out exactly how much we've spent on these wars (Lybia included) ...[text shortened]... a 1% national sales tax that will expire once the total cost for the wars has been collected.
    I'm actually with you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree