1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 15:25
    @whodey said
    Well the last couple of years the GOP had all three branches

And what did they do? They increased spending while continuing to fund things like Planned Parenthood but not the wall.
    The cost of Trump's wall could fund Planned Parenthood for 40 years.
  2. RSA
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 16:09
    I am going to ask a question for our American writers on here because the last thing I'm an aficionado on is American politics (the switch in my brain that toggles interest in it has been flicked to "off" since sometime in 2016): To what degree is fiscal policy devolved to the individual states?

I ask because it would help answer whether states are rich because they vote for a certain party (in the case of policy being more devolved), or whether richer states just tend to vote for a certain party (in the case of more centralization).
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 16:254 edits
    @ashiitaka said
    I am going to ask a question for our American writers on here because the last thing I'm an aficionado on is American politics (the switch in my brain that toggles interest in it has been flicked to "off" since sometime in 2016): To what degree is fiscal policy devolved to the individual states?

I ask because it would help answer whether states are rich because t ...[text shortened]... or whether richer states just tend to vote for a certain party (in the case of more centralization).
    People who live in major cities are more prone to be Left wing than those who do not. The reason is simple. Cities require more government involvement to maintain, hence the tend to vote for the party that promotes more government involvement.

On a Federal level, it then behooves people to vote for big spenders.

As for Trump, he cut loopholes in the tax code for folks with high state tax states, so that they could not write off the high taxes they paid their federal taxes. This caused many in high tax liberal states to owe more taxes, which pissed off a lot of opponents of Trump., who oddly enough, promote politicians who routinely champion more social programs which require more taxes.

So yea, American politics has it's little hands in pretty much every facet of our existence.

What I will never figure out, though, it why Leftists vote for people who want to raise their taxes, and when they do they riot in places like Paris when they actually do it.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 16:55
    @ashiitaka said

I ask because it would help answer whether states are rich because t ...[text shortened]... or whether richer states just tend to vote for a certain party (in the case of more centralization).
    Federal fiscal policy, by definition, cannot be "devolved" to the states. They do have their own budgets and can issue bonds.
  5. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 19:22
    @KazetNagorra

I presume that the individual States raise some form of tax that they get to keep and spend?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree