Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 May '15 19:38
    Went with some friends, many different guns , pistols/rifles/shotguns, made a day of it..
    Swapped info about favorite reloads, did some chronograph tests of what our cartridges were doing versus what we thought they should be, and had a great time.
    It's an American hobby, sport, and pastime going back two hundred years and we don't want to lose that right.
    Why is that so hard to understand for Europeans and liberals?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 May '15 20:27
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    Went with some friends, many different guns , pistols/rifles/shotguns, made a day of it..
    Swapped info about favorite reloads, did some chronograph tests of what our cartridges were doing versus what we thought they should be, and had a great time.
    It's an American hobby, sport, and pastime going back two hundred years and we don't want to lose that right.
    what did you shoot?
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    20 May '15 20:44
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    what did you shoot?
    My guess would be paper targets.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    20 May '15 20:58
    Who did you shoot?
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    20 May '15 21:17
    Originally posted by sh76 to Fishhead111
    Who did you shoot?
    Whom.
  6. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y3ngvdp2
    Moves
    20 May '15 22:16
    What do you think of the biker shootout?
  7. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    20 May '15 22:16
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Whom.
    Wrong!
  8. Zugzwang
    Moves
    20 May '15 23:591 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Wrong!
    Normbenign again arrogantly draws attention to his ignorance of English grammar.
    How much would Normbenign (a believer in laissez-faire capitalism) like to bet on it?
    And Normbenign's friends and admirers should feel free to bet large amounts of their
    own money in backing him.
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    21 May '15 02:001 edit
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Normbenign again arrogantly draws attention to his ignorance of English grammar.
    How much would Normbenign (a believer in laissez-faire capitalism) like to bet on it?
    And Normbenign's friends and admirers should feel free to bet large amounts of their
    own money in backing him.
    That would depend on the country in which the English is spoken, and in the USA even the region or State would make a difference.

How would either of us collect on such a bet?

I can picture a cop in NYC, or New Orleans questioning a suspect: "Whom did you shoot?" and everyone in the room hysterical with laughter. Grammar in English is generally altered by common usage. We no longer use terms like "shew", or "doth" which showed up regularly in 17th and 18th century writings and speech.
  10. Zugzwang
    Moves
    21 May '15 02:452 edits
    That would depend on the country in which the English is spoken, and in the USA even the region or State would make a difference.

How would either of us collect on such a bet?

I can picture a cop in NYC, or New Orleans questioning a suspect: "Whom did you shoot?" and everyone in the room hysterical with laughter. Grammar in English is generally alte ...[text shortened]... s like "shew", or "doth" which showed up regularly in 17th and 18th century writings and speech.
    With his usual dishonesty, Normbenign desperately attempts to cover up the fact that he's dead wrong.
    Not even Sh76 himself has attempted to argue that my grammatical correction was mistaken.

In Sh76's sentence, the formal grammatical distinction between 'who' and 'whom' does
    *not* 'depend upon the country in which the English is spoken'. Given that Sh76's an
    American, I assumed that the context here is *standard American English in writing*.
    Now I suppose that Normbenign could find some grammatically ignorant Americans
    (like himself) who might say, 'Who did you shoot?' in *casual speech*, but that's
    *irrelevant* to its grammatical incorrectness in *formal writing*. Contrary to what
    Normbenign (who's nearly illiterate) desperately wants to believe, grammatical questions
    are not settled by asking the 'lowest common denominator' of English speakers.

Is Normbenign disappointed that none of his fellow right-wing white Americans (who may
    hate me almost as much he does) have hastened to offer to bet their life savings upon
    the proposition that he must be right and I must be wrong on a question of English grammar?
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    21 May '15 05:26
    Did they have the opportunity to shoot back?
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 May '15 08:38
    I do understand that you don't want to loose that right. What I don't understand is your desire to hold on to that right despite all the negative consequences. I too would love to play around with guns sometimes. But if that means allowing criminals easy access to guns then I will happily forego that opportunity.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 May '15 08:45
    I would never use 'whom' in actual conversation whether it is 'correct grammar' or not. I might use it in writing as there are sentence structures I would write but never speak where whom sounds better.
    I would certainly say 'who did you shoot?' and not 'whom'.
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    21 May '15 11:011 edit
    Because a gun’s primary function is to kill and we are – or at least I am – a little baffled by your fascination with this. I would also be somewhat worried when an entire country just loves to play with a guillotine.

I wonder how much of this “love” for the gun stems from the feeling of having power, if only temporally.
  15. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    21 May '15 12:58
    Wrong!
    D is correct. "Whom" would have been the proper term.

I was trying to humorously echo RC's post; and somehow, "who" sounded like a better follow up to his "what" than did "whom," but, never mind, I guess.

😕