Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 23 Mar '10 01:37
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWuX2s7h55A&feature=popular

    Not everyone is down and out, in desperate need of insurance..
    Should they be forced to buy it... curious
  2. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    23 Mar '10 02:17
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWuX2s7h55A&feature=popular

    Not everyone is down and out, in desperate need of insurance..
    Should they be forced to buy it... curious
    Nobody ever anticipates getting sick or injured.
  3. 23 Mar '10 02:19
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Nobody ever anticipates getting sick or injured.
    It's ok.. They'll just eat well and eat superfoods when they get sick.
  4. 23 Mar '10 02:36
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    It's ok.. They'll just eat well and eat superfoods when they get sick.
    I can see their point, in some ways..... I had to really bite hard on that 1000.00 per month COBRA bill. Covered for 18 months = 18K
    That's so much money, one thinks he could bank it, and run the gauntlet, live on the edge.
    If it was just me, I would just roll the dice, but with kids and wife,, no way.
    How would I live with that??
  5. 23 Mar '10 02:55
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    I can see their point, in some ways..... I had to really bite hard on that 1000.00 per month COBRA bill. Covered for 18 months = 18K
    That's so much money, one thinks he could bank it, and run the gauntlet, live on the edge.
    If it was just me, I would just roll the dice, but with kids and wife,, no way.
    How would I live with that??
    The thing is though, they aren't seeing it as taking a chance. They see modern medicine as being harmful and that if they just eat well then they'll cure/prevent any and all diseases and that's just not true.

    They have been lucky in that they haven't gotten any serious health problems and eating well has surely helped.

    Sure, if you are young and healthy ... run the gauntlet and live dangerously. The thing is, you still know that the best thing for you if you get sick is to go to a hospital and not to eat an apple.
  6. 23 Mar '10 12:57
    I don't think you are mentally healthy if you don't want to get treated if you get sick. So the people in the OP seem to be contradicting themselves.
  7. 23 Mar '10 15:43
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWuX2s7h55A&feature=popular

    Not everyone is down and out, in desperate need of insurance..
    Should they be forced to buy it... curious
    They step off a curb at the wrong time and you and I pay for it. It is about time they take responsibility for their own lives.
  8. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    23 Mar '10 15:49
    Who cares?

    "The new law will eventually extend health insurance
    cover to more than 30 million Americans who currently
    do not have any."

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8583350.stm
  9. 23 Mar '10 16:38 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWuX2s7h55A&feature=popular

    Not everyone is down and out, in desperate need of insurance..
    Should they be forced to buy it... curious
    The harsh reality of life is that most of those "healthy people" will eventually develop some sort of pre-existing condition. And at that time, most of those people will suddenly become VERY interested in getting insurance - but they will discover that no one wants to cover them because they are now a "high risk" for the insurer.

    Even if you put all of these people with "pre-existing conditions" into a big "high-risk" pool and require insurance companies to offer them all coverage, there's still no way for an insurer to profitably cover these people, at least not without charging premiums that are so high that no one can afford to pay them.

    There are two ways to deal with this. One approach is for the government to levy a tax and use the proceeds to give an insurance company a generous subsidy for each person from this high risk group that signs up. This would allow the insurer to offer everyone in the pool an affordable premium.

    The other way is to require healthy people to enter the pool. The cost of providing insurance to the average person in the pool then becomes low enough for an insurer to be able to cover everyone in the pool. (Or you can combine these two and give everyone a choice of either getting insurance or paying taxes)

    A totally different approach (which was rejected) would be to create a public option (such as an expansion of Medicare) where the government would directly provide coverage to everyone in that high risk pool that the insurance companies don't want to cover.
  10. 23 Mar '10 16:38
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Who cares?

    "The new law will eventually extend health insurance
    cover to more than [b]30 million Americans
    who currently
    do not have any."

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8583350.stm[/b]
    I think that may be the very thing some people are complaining about. Maybe that age when you are invincible? Why should we pay for insurance, when we'll never grow old? We exersize, eat well, have never been sick,,, pooh!
    They both looked younger than me.
    ya know what I want? DENTAL INSURANCE... all my teeth are gone, from opening beer bottles with them.
    But in the same frame, how long is eventually?
  11. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    23 Mar '10 16:40 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWuX2s7h55A&feature=popular

    Not everyone is down and out, in desperate need of insurance..
    Should they be forced to buy it... curious
    Personally, I wouldn't have cared and don't care now, if health insurance is mandatory. It's strictly to protect the profits of the health insurance industry and they've been raping the public for 20 years. I hope one of those Republican state AG lawsuits actually wins and the mandatory provision is struck while the other measures like no denials for pre-existing conditions, etc. are enforced. Serve the SOBs right.
  12. 23 Mar '10 16:55
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Personally, I wouldn't have cared and don't care now, if health insurance is mandatory. It's strictly to protect the profits of the health insurance industry and they've been raping the public for 20 years. I hope one of those Republican state AG lawsuits actually wins and the mandatory provision is struck while the other measures like no denials for pre-existing conditions, etc. are enforced. Serve the SOBs right.
    All of those conservatives and GOPs who do not want to see an eventual move to single payer should be doing everything possible to make sure that the plan that just got passed works. Despite all the histrionics, the reality is that the federal government chose NOT to takeover the healthcare financing system.

    The plan allows the health insurance industry to continue playing it's current role, with some taxes and subsidies thrown in. The GOP and conservatives should make sure that competition is maximized in all markets, and that regulations are enacted and enforced in such a way that everyone is indeed able to get access to affordable insurance that truly covers what needs to be covered. Because if this ends up being what no1 expects it to end up being, there's likely going to be a lot of pressure to enact a single payer plan or something equally noxious to the insurance industry.
  13. 23 Mar '10 17:02
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    All of those conservatives and GOPs who do not want to see an eventual move to single payer should be doing everything possible to make sure that the plan that just got passed works. Despite all the histrionics, the reality is that the federal government chose NOT to takeover the healthcare financing system.

    The plan allows the health insurance industr ...[text shortened]... pressure to enact a single payer plan or something equally noxious to the insurance industry.
    ok, I'm wondering about illegal aliens.
    Are they covered now, at the expense of the tax payers?
    What are your thougths?
  14. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    23 Mar '10 17:03
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    ok, I'm wondering about illegal aliens.
    Are they covered now, at the expense of the tax payers?
    What are your thougths?
    The bill specifically bans them from the exchanges and subsidies.
  15. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    23 Mar '10 17:17 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    All of those conservatives and GOPs who do not want to see an eventual move to single payer should be doing everything possible to make sure that the plan that just got passed works. Despite all the histrionics, the reality is that the federal government chose NOT to takeover the healthcare financing system.

    The plan allows the health insurance industr pressure to enact a single payer plan or something equally noxious to the insurance industry.
    10 Republican State AGs are just waiting for Obama to sign to file suit on the basis that the federal government requiring someone to buy health insurance is unconstitutional.

    http://www.usinsuranceonline.com/news/article/10-states-will-sue-over-health-care-bill-passage-19682945

    I'll be rooting for them; I'm sure the bill has a boiler plate "severability" clause meaning that if one part is struck the rest is unaffected. A win and the health insurance companies take a bath. Cool.

    EDIT: Already done: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36001783/ns/politics-health_care_reform/

    Get 'em boys! Run these private companies out of business so we can have the single payer system the country needs!