1. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    18 Aug '11 06:38
    On Monday, one man was arrested for planning a water gun fight on Facebook.

a woman from Manchester who did not take part in the riots received a five-month sentence for wearing a pair of stolen shorts her roommate gave her

http://mashable.com/2011/08/16/london-riots-men-sentenced/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Mashable%2FSocialMedia+%28Mashable+%C2%BB+Social+Media+Feed%29

How is this justice?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Aug '11 06:58
    Originally posted by Thequ1ck

a woman from Manchester who did not take part in the riots received a five-month sentence for wearing a pair of stolen shorts her roommate gave her

http://mashable.com/2011/08/16/london-riots-men-sentenced/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Mashable%2FSocialMedia+%28Mashable+%C2%BB+Social+Media+Feed%29

How is this justice?
    The water gun incident was arrest only probably as a precaution due to screening picking up on various words in his messages. More important is the discussion around message screening I would think.

As for the woman who was jailed for 5 months for receiving goods stolen during the riots; I would advise her: If you don't want to fall foul of the authorities then don't receive stolen goods, especially when they were obtained through the worst case of civil disorder in living memory.
  3. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    18 Aug '11 07:49

How is this justice?
    It's not justice.

A woman gets 5 months in prison for receiving a pair of stolen shorts, which cost £10-20 (i'm guessing)?! And all those MP's who were caught pilfering hundreds of thousands, i'll say that again for dramatic effect HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of our tax payers money, remain in their jobs and have the gall to lecture us about our 'sick' society.

When the rich rob that's okay, when the poor rob..........chuck the book at them.
  4. Joined
    01 Sep '08
    Moves
    18 Aug '11 09:04
    Compared to MEPs, our MPs look like schoolboys nicking sweets from the tuck shop. No recession for them. The salary they pay themselves and the obscene amount of expenses they claim is scandalous. They also vote themselves annual increases, despite the fact that the rest of us are expected to tighten our belts, and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it. How many of us get our salary plus a daily bonus for actually turning up for work ? GET US OUT OF EUROPE !!!!! No wonder kids think that taking something for nothing is no big deal. Look at the example they are being set. Our politicians are scumbags.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    18 Aug '11 09:08
    Originally posted by ayceebee
    Compared to MEPs, our MPs look like schoolboys nicking sweets from the tuck shop. No recession for them. The salary they pay themselves and the obscene amount of expenses they claim is scandalous. They also vote themselves annual increases, despite the fact that the rest of us are expected to tighten our belts, and there is absolutely nothing we can do abou ...[text shortened]... or nothing is no big deal. Look at the example they are being set. Our politicians are scumbags.
    Of course there is something you can do about it, vote for MEPs who don't award themselves "scandalous" amounts.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    18 Aug '11 14:16
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    It's not justice.

A woman gets 5 months in prison for receiving a pair of stolen shorts, which cost £10-20 (i'm guessing)?! And all those MP's who were caught pilfering hundreds of thousands, i'll say that again for dramatic effect HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of our tax payers money, remain in their jobs and have the gall to lecture us about our 'sick' soci ...[text shortened]... ty.

When the rich rob that's okay, when the poor rob..........chuck the book at them.
    Prison's a good way to advance your criminal career.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    18 Aug '11 14:32

How is this justice?
    Well, the masks are off now. Guess what: citizens are peons.

Had a quiet week?
  8. Joined
    01 Sep '08
    Moves
    18 Aug '11 16:00
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Of course there is something you can do about it, vote for MEPs who don't award themselves "scandalous" amounts.
    You obviously don't understand. It doesn't matter who you vote for. The whole disgusting and obscenely expensive institution is run by people who are not elected to their posts by us, and they are as corrupt as any politicians that you will find anywhere in the world. When I recently found out exactly how much these pigs with their noses in the trough cost us annually, I couldn't believe it.
  9. Germany
    Moves
    18 Aug '11 16:05
    You obviously don't understand. It doesn't matter who you vote for. The whole disgusting and obscenely expensive institution is run by people who are not elected to their posts by us, and they are as corrupt as any politicians that you will find anywhere in the world. When I recently found out exactly how much these pigs with their noses in the trough cost us annually, I couldn't believe it.
    Actually, the degree of corruption of politicians varies greatly across political systems and societies. Would you seriously argue that, for example, an Afghan politician is equally likely to be corrupt as a Norwegian one? Likewise, you can't really compare an average Italian or Greek politician to a Swedish or Finnish one. As for the "cost", yes there is a lot of waste but I think we can all agree the EU makes its member states far more than it costs.
  10. Joined
    01 Sep '08
    Moves
    18 Aug '11 16:36
    Actually, the degree of corruption of politicians varies greatly across political systems and societies. Would you seriously argue that, for example, an Afghan politician is equally likely to be corrupt as a Norwegian one? Likewise, you can't really compare an average Italian or Greek politician to a Swedish or Finnish one. As for the "cost", yes there ...[text shortened]... of waste but I think we can all agree the EU makes its member states far more than it costs.
    You display a very rosey view of Scandinavian politicians. My point was that EU beaurocrats run the system to benefit themselves, and for many years accountants have refused to sign off the accounts that they produce annually because they are so full of holes you could sieve cabbage through them. Year on year politicians have lied about their Countrys' financial security, and now that the truth is out they are dragging us all down. Scumbags.
  11. Germany
    Moves
    18 Aug '11 16:42
    You display a very rosey view of Scandinavian politicians. My point was that EU beaurocrats run the system to benefit themselves, and for many years accountants have refused to sign off the accounts that they produce annually because they are so full of holes you could sieve cabbage through them. Year on year politicians have lied about their Countrys' financial security, and now that the truth is out they are dragging us all down. Scumbags.
    "They" are dragging "us" down? Who are they and us?
  12. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    18 Aug '11 19:13
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Well, the masks are off now. Guess what: citizens are peons.

Had a quiet week?
    Citizens are for peeing on more like.
  13. Joined
    01 Sep '08
    Moves
    18 Aug '11 20:13
    "They" are dragging "us" down? Who are they and us?
    I don't think that, in the normal course of things, you are someone I would choose to have a conversation with, so I will make this my last reply to you.
  14. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    18 Aug '11 20:13
    Bankers loot the Treasury, MPs fiddle their expenses . . . and then the establishment turns on deprived young people in England’s inner cities and calls them criminals. The August disturbances weren’t riots: they were the revolt of the working class.

http://www.newstatesman.com/uk-politics/2011/08/pilger-police-british-young

Right on, John.
  15. Germany
    Moves
    18 Aug '11 20:40
    I don't think that, in the normal course of things, you are someone I would choose to have a conversation with, so I will make this my last reply to you.
    Sorry, didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree