1. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    04 Apr '24 15:57
    Something on the lighter side to argue about...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/billionaire-fights-dock-boat-water-090840830.html

"For the past several years, homeowner Michael Bozutto has been battling [North Palm Beach, FL] for the right to park his 164-foot Westport, dubbed Honey, behind a home he owns at 932 Shore Drive."

"Village officials warned Bozzuto he can't park Honey at 932 Shore Drive because boats can only be parked on docks behind houses that are occupied by the homeowner."

"But village rules do not define the word "occupied." For instance, the rules do not state that occupied means the house is a residence where the owner lives. Village rules also contain no restrictions on the size of boats that can be kept at private docks.

"After years of pushing back against what he believes are fuzzy rules, Bozzuto in March filed a lawsuit against the village."
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Apr '24 21:16
    @spruce112358
    Sounds like he didn't want to grease the wheels with a bit of hush money🙂

My home lot is about 80 X 130ish feet, even hypotenuse it would stick out 20 feet on both ends.
  3. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    05 Apr '24 00:371 edit
    @spruce112358 said

"For the past several years, homeowner Michael Bozutto has been battling [North Palm Beach, FL] for the right to park his 164-foot Westport, dubbed Honey, behind a home he owns at 932 Shore Drive."

"Village officials warned Bozzuto he can' ...[text shortened]... ack against what he believes are fuzzy rules, Bozzuto in March filed a lawsuit against the village."
    A good case to possibly apply an old legal adage..."Coming to the nuisance", explained here.
    And I looked at a few articles about the main draw, being homes with boats at the front lawn, so anyone there should have to be aware of, and to accept, that being the way of life. The only stickler is going to be how 'big' a boat is, to the extent that it encroaches on the space, the privacy, or the feeeeeeeeeeeeellllllings of the neighbors.
    I will watch it unfold, a bailiwick of mine.

Coming to the nuisance refers to a legal doctrine which prevents a party from claiming nuisance if said nuisance was present, and the party knew of that nuisance before they acquired the property subject to the nuisance. Historically, coming to the nuisance functioned as a complete bar to a nuisance action.
  4. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    05 Apr '24 02:59
    @spruce112358 said

"Village officials warned Bozzuto he can' ...[text shortened]... ack against what he believes are fuzzy rules, Bozzuto in March filed a lawsuit against the village."
    Occupied by the owner, seems to be the deal breaker here then.

And that doesn’t leave much wiggle room. It clearly states: you can park your boat if the home owner is occupying the house. So, if the home owner is out buying groceries… move the boat.

A few things though: it seems rather impracticle.
    And “parking” one’s boat? Really?
    Don’t you dock or moor a boat?
    Berth?

Damn. Little do I know about boats.
  5. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    05 Apr '24 03:32
    @shavixmir said

And that doesn’t leave much wiggle room. It clearly states: you can park your boat if the home owner is occupying the house. So, if the home owner is out buying groceries… move the boat.

Berth?

He goes and buys groceries and he has to move the boat.

Sad.
  6. Joined
    09 Sep '10
    Moves
    05 Apr '24 04:02
    Dude's got boat and moat problems and I'm just happy to be eating salted peanuts.

Funny our little world.
  7. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    05 Apr '24 10:55
    @shavixmir said

Berth?

Boating has it's own terms. A rope is a 'line.' 'Parking' is 'docking'. Tying the boat to something like a dock or a fixed anchor with a line is mooring. Dropping an anchor is ... anchoring.

A 'parking space' is a berth or slip.

Looked at from above, this guy wants to moor his boat along a long pier on one side of the property. That's a nice mooring spot for a long boat. The main issue should be, how much of the channel is he taking up?

I see that a Westport 164 has a width (called the 'beam' ) of 9.17m (29' ) and the channel there is 133' wide. So he takes up 22%. I think that's not outlandish. UNLESS the channel there hasn't been dredged and everyone has to hug his dock to get out.

She's definitely the queen of that 'hurricane hole' - I don't see any other boats her size around.

Personally, I'd say the house occupancy rule is nonsense. In Florida, with a boat that size, your main worry is when will the next hurricane hit (June to November) - and it seems that's a good spot to tie up.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree