1. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 06:34
    Originally posted by trev33
    i saw this so much in colombia, rich old man with a younger (plastic surgery enhanced) wife who is pretty much waiting for her husband to die to pick up an even fatter check than she's living on now.
    Rich old men are frequently perfectly well aware that their young wives are gold diggers - and perfectly comfortable with the arrangement. Generally, if there is no abuse, I see nothing morally wrong with either gold digging or prostitution so long as both parties are aware of the agreement. However with prostitution there is a strong potential for abuse so it either needs to be carefully controlled or outlawed.

When it comes to sexual favors at work that is not only abuse but a form of corruption and thus is both morally wrong and should always be illegal.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 07:02
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Usually the woman. As I mentioned earlier, prostitution is often outlawed because of the potential for abuse.
    the woman is not a victim of prostitution. the woman is a victim of slavery, abuse, drugs etc. prostitution in itself is simply offering sex for money.

otherwise any any activity could be outlawed because of external reasons. i believe in many cases prostitution is outlawed because of moral issues. and that it is a pain to regulate properly.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 15:451 edit
    What the heck?

I say legalize prostitution.

Regulate it. Tax it. Police it. Confine it to red light districts. Outlaw it within X feet/meters of schools, etc. etc. etc.

But why make crimes out of things that don't really hurt people?
  4. Blighty
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 22:29
    Originally posted by sh76
    What the heck?

I say legalize prostitution.

Regulate it. Tax it. Police it. Confine it to red light districts. Outlaw it within X feet/meters of schools, etc. etc. etc.

But why make crimes out of things that don't really hurt people?
    I agree with you in most respects on this issue, except the spelling of legalise! 😉

If its legalised, controls can be put into place, checking the age of the service providers, provision of protective equipment (a rubberised hard hat - so to speak), regular health checks..........

The cost of providing the services should be able to be reduced - no fear of arrest, no need to be in hideous locations- credit cards accepted.........

The revenue to the Government would increase, through taxation, the ability of the workers to better themselves, buy property legally, have all the trappings that so many aspire too.

Venues (brothals) should need permits to trade, and these permits can have restrictions as to location (not near schools or whatever else is determined), they could be mixed use, so a restaurant followed by a post meal exercise session could be possible........

On the downside, there would always be individuals who's taste is for something more exotic (read - sick perves) and for those the legalised system would not cater. If they are unable to fight their own demons then stiffer punishments for transgretions should be in place.

Just a thought.
    Kind regards
    Surtism
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Oct '09 06:05
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    the woman is not a victim of prostitution. the woman is a victim of slavery, abuse, drugs etc. prostitution in itself is simply offering sex for money.

otherwise any any activity could be outlawed because of external reasons. i believe in many cases prostitution is outlawed because of moral issues. and that it is a pain to regulate properly.
    I high proportion of prostitutes become victims of abuse without slavery, or drugs being involved. The problem is that the act of sex takes place in a private environment with a stranger. We are generally advised never to get into such a situation for any reason whatsoever, yet with prostitution it is more or less a requirement.
    The slavery side of it is on many levels - from pimps who merely take advantage of women to outright slavery.

I fully agree that a straightforward cash for sex transaction does not really have a victim, but it is usually outlawed because of the potential for abuse as well as the moral issues.
    One reason drugs are outlawed is that there is evidence that drug use leads to increased crime. Taking a drug in the privacy of your own home may be considered your own problem, but if you then go out and steal to pay for your habit, it becomes every bodies problem.
    Tobacco use is highly addictive and harmful to your body, but generally not outlawed because it does not lead to crime.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree