1. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    23 Jun '15 13:55
    Originally posted by vivify
    https://youtu.be/Y8J7Ug_0N6A?t=1m36s

Please watch the above link before responding. It has some profanity, but is little more than 2 minutes long.

Considering factors like standard of living, median household income and crime rates, what is the greatest country in the world?
    Could it be that no nation/state is really good? Perhaps the question ought to be which is the least bad?
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Jun '15 13:59
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Actually, Switzerland has opted into many key EU treaties, including the Schengen area (open borders) and freedom of movement of labour. So while citizenship may not be easily obtained (that holds for just about every EU country, by the way), other EU citizens can freely move to Switzerland and work there.
    So I guess this means they will be going down the tubes as well.

One more country and its a party!! 😵
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    23 Jun '15 13:59
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    We could start with a global basic income.
    Ugh!
  4. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    23 Jun '15 14:25
    I vote for measures that include how easy it is to get an education, freedom to choose your occupation, social safety nets and tax laws that ensure access to basic needs like health care, food and shelter while promoting free enterprise. I'm guessing countries with a healthy, growing middle class have less internal social strife. They also probably have less billionaires who can buy their governments.
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    23 Jun '15 15:00
    It depends on what you are looking for precisely and what you would value in particular. But, broadly speaking, Northern European countries tend to rank best followed by honorable mentions for countries like Canada, Australia, Switzerland, Japan and a few others. If you would particularly value, say, women's emancipation and rights, then Northern Europe ...[text shortened]... e Deep South is perhaps closer to some better-performing former Soviet bloc nations like Poland.
    Actually, one of the great virtues of the United States today is its variety of cultures,lifestyles and economic opportunity. To a greater or lesser extent, most European nations tend to be more monolithic, with fewer choices.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Jul '15 02:26
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Actually, one of the great virtues of the United States today is its variety of cultures,lifestyles and economic opportunity. To a greater or lesser extent, most European nations tend to be more monolithic, with fewer choices.
    That is the great virtue every American believes but unfortunately it is untrue.
    Social mobility is even worse in US than in UK and far worse than the rest of Europe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socio-economic_mobility_in_the_United_States
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 Jul '15 02:35
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    That is the great virtue every American believes but unfortunately it is untrue.
    Social mobility is even worse in US than in UK and far worse than the rest of Europe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socio-economic_mobility_in_the_United_States
    I see someone gave this a thumbs down without reply.
    is that because they dislike the truth or don't believe it but have no reply?

The fact is, for American citizens, the US is not the land of opportunity.
    Born rich - stay rich.
    Born poor - stay poor.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    05 Jul '15 02:431 edit
    I see someone gave this a thumbs down without reply.
    is that because they dislike the truth or don't believe it but have no reply?

The fact is, for American citizens, the US is [b]not
    the land of opportunity.
    Born rich - stay rich.
    Born poor - stay poor.[/b]
    BS

My grandfather landed in New York with the shirt on his back after having escaped to Britain during the war with the Nazis on his tail.

He worked his butt off to give my father a better opportunity, but my father's childhood would clearly be described as lower middle class.

My father worked his butt off to give me a better opportunity. My childhood could be be described as middle middle class.

I work my butt off to get my children a better opportunity. My children's childhoods could best be described as something like middle/upper-ish middle class.

"Born poor - stay poor" is hogwash; a soothing canard for people who couldn't advance due to bad luck or poor effort.
  9. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    05 Jul '15 02:56
    Originally posted by sh76
    BS

My grandfather landed in New York with the shirt on his back after having escaped to Britain during the war with the Nazis on his tail.

He worked his butt off to give my father a better opportunity, but my father's childhood would clearly be described as lower middle class.

My father worked his butt off to give me a better opportunity. My childhood ...[text shortened]... r" is hogwash; a soothing canard for people who couldn't advance due to bad luck or poor effort.
    We've heard this one from you before, and I agree, it is there if you want it, regardless of the stats you can create opportunities, seize on opportunities and take advantage of opportunities in the US.

And it happens to this day, there are success stories, I have a few anecdotes of workmates from the Philippines living comfortably in the US now. From a very humble start (a village with no power or water) It did take hard work, it is possible.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    05 Jul '15 07:30
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    We've heard this one from you before, and I agree, it is there if you want it, regardless of the stats you can create opportunities, seize on opportunities and take advantage of opportunities in the US.
    Indeed. There just happen to be more and easier opportunities to develop one's talents in certain other places. This is obviously what wolfgang59 is alluding to.
  11. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    05 Jul '15 09:04
    Indeed. There just happen to be more and easier opportunities to develop one's talents in certain other places. This is obviously what wolfgang59 is alluding to.
    Please refer to wolfgangs supposed 'fact'.

wolfgang:
    "The fact is, for American citizens, the US is not the land of opportunity.
    Born rich - stay rich.
    Born poor - stay poor."

Such a hurry to try to get a shot in, oops, blew a hole in his foot.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 Jul '15 12:21
    BS

My father worked his butt off to give me a better opportunity. My childhood ...[text shortened]... r" is hogwash; a soothing canard for people who couldn't advance due to bad luck or poor effort.
    I am not disputing that the US was the land of opportunity.

I am talking about now
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 Jul '15 12:23
    Originally posted by Wajoma

And it happens to this day, there are success stories, I have a few anecdotes of workmates from the Philippines living comfortably in the US now. From a very humble start (a village with no power or water) It did take hard work, it is possible.
    Of course someone from a poor country can migrate to a rich country and do well.

I am talking about social movement by citizens.
    It just doesn't happen to the extent we are told.
  14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    05 Jul '15 17:11
    I am not disputing that the US was the land of opportunity.

I am talking about now
    There are countless rags to riches stories in the US of recent vintage, especially during the dot com boom.

KN's point that there are European countries with better social mobility is no doubt accurate, but you overstated your case there a little.
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Jul '15 00:42

KN's point that there are European countries with better social mobility is no doubt accurate, but you overstated your case there a little.
    I don't think I overstated my case.
    I admitted to being surprised that US social mobility was worse than UK.
    Europe is better but not perfect.

It would be interesting to see stats from the 50s and 60s when I believe US
    would top the list. It is a shame that so many Americans are living in the past.
    US is now more class-ridden than most Western countries.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree