1. silicon valley
    Moves
    08 Mar '10 19:071 edit
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    the last big earthquake up here, only around 70 people died, out of pop. three million in the bay area. most of the dead were under pancaked dual-layer freeways, i think.
    63 fatalities

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Loma_Prieta_earthquake#Injuries_and_fatalities

Fifty-seven of the deaths were directly caused by the earthquake; six further fatalities were ruled to have been caused indirectly.[2] In addition, there were 3,757[3] injuries as a result of the earthquake—400 severely hurt.[1] The highest number of fatalities, 42,[12] occurred in the City of Oakland because of the failure of the Cypress Street Viaduct on the Nimitz Freeway (Interstate 880), where a double-deck portion of the freeway collapsed, crushing the cars on the lower deck. One 50-foot (15 m) section of the San Francisco – Oakland Bay Bridge also collapsed, leading to the single fatality on the bridge.[4]

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree