Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    11 Nov '11 16:04
    Has anyone noticed that 90% of the posts on this forum these days are by Americans? KN and a few of the other excepted, of course, what has driven away all the Europeans?

I mean we're barely even discussing the Greek debt mess, the Italian PM succession the crisis of the euro, etc.

Are Herman Cain's sexual exploits and Joe Pa's silence really more compelling than those stories?
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    11 Nov '11 16:07
    They can't afford internet any more.
  3. 11 Nov '11 16:09
    Originally posted by sh76
    Has anyone noticed that 90% of the posts on this forum these days are by Americans? KN and a few of the other excepted, of course, what has driven away all the Europeans?

I mean we're barely even discussing the Greek debt mess, the Italian PM succession the crisis of the euro, etc.

Are Herman Cain's sexual exploits and Joe Pa's silence really more compelling than those stories?
    Maybe they are afraid of rubbing Americans the wrong way in the hopes of a bail out from them.
  4. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    11 Nov '11 16:10
    They're scared the USA will invade.
  5. 11 Nov '11 16:14
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    That's why I left The Hague.
  6. 11 Nov '11 16:16
    Today, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, and Uganda. Tommorrow, the world!!!

Of course, when the US takes over Europe and go bankrunpt China will own everything.

Just say'in.
  7. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    11 Nov '11 16:36

They realize that talking to American right wingers is a complete waste of time.
  8. 11 Nov '11 16:49

They can't take my conspiracy theories. I drove them all away.
  9. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    11 Nov '11 17:11
    I'll bet they get tired of the all America all the time nature of the discussions here. The topics the Americans bring up are mostly about American politics, and any non-American topic gets little attention from the Americans because all our news media covers is American politics and we don't know jack about what's going on in the rest of the world enough to engage in an informed discussion.

Take FMF for example, a Brit living in Indonesia, a highly populated and recently war torn Muslim country where the government has a democratic mandate and faces all kinds of challenges. The efforts to pursue democracy there by those who truly believe in democracy must be very interesting and probably heroic at times. But were FMF to bring up a topic on Indonesia would any of us ugly Americans know enough about what's going on there to engage in a substantive discussion with him. Is it worth his time?

The only discussion we've had about Indonesia I can remember recently was started by Whodey and was about smoking primates. Why? Probably because that's the only thing about Indonesia in American media coverage, and thus the only thing Whodey knows about Indonesia except that it is a long way East of the United States. I remember one of the words FMF used to describe his feelings about that thread was "alienating".
  10. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    11 Nov '11 17:17 / 2 edits
    I made a Zambia thread.

Spirituality is getting more diverse. Take a look over there.

Maybe they are just too slothful and indolent to post here any more.
  11. Standard member RevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    11 Nov '11 17:24

I Pass by Sir, I pass by, rarely seeing something I'm relatively au fait with to comment on. Just look at the threads here, ' never heard of most of the 'characters' mentioned..too one dimensional and let's face it, if you're not with the 'in crowd' here then your comments are more than merely overlooked, invariably they are ignored..
  12. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    11 Nov '11 17:27
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    I Pass by Sir, I pass by, rarely seeing something I'm relatively au fait with to comment on. Just look at the threads here, ' never heard of most of the 'characters' mentioned..too one dimensional and let's face it, if you're not with the 'in crowd' here then your comments are more than merely overlooked, invariably they are ignored..
    This coming from someone who instructs everyone to ignore his posts in his profile
  13. 11 Nov '11 17:28
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    [b]The only discussion we've had about Indonesia I can remember recently was started by Whodey and was about smoking primates.
    As you can see, I made a heroic attempt to bridge the gap but was only met with derision.

What attempts have you make Sleepyguy?
  14. 11 Nov '11 17:32
    Maybe they are just too slothful and indolent to post here any more.
    Maybe they are so worried about being stereotyped as being "slothful and indolent" that they've had to stop wasting time posting here...

Actually, truth is that I'm just a lot busier at work than I was when I started posting.
  15. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    11 Nov '11 17:39
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    I don't think that's true. Do people really look at the name of the poster when deciding whether to respond or to they look at the content of the message? Maybe a little bit the former but I posit more of the latter.