1. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    17 Sep '12 23:45
    From an outsider, who really can't figure out the US electoral system:

is it the President, who seems to be blamed for anything and everything, yet doesn't seem to have a party (or group) to support him?

or the House of Representatives, which seems to be the body who proposes legislation, yet doesn't seem to have the power to enact it?

or the Senate, which seems to have the power to block anything anyone else does, yet doesn't seem to be able to initiate anything?

or private enterprise (Big Business), which seems to spend an awful lot of money buying politicians?

Can anyone point me to a succinct explanation of how it all comes together? (as distinct from a treatise on how it's supposed to work, I mean.)
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    18 Sep '12 00:07
    The President can send in the Marines without asking Congress (he must inform them within two days or something). That's a lot of power right there.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    18 Sep '12 00:26
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    From an outsider, who really can't figure out the US electoral system:

is it the President, who seems to be blamed for anything and everything, yet doesn't seem to have a party (or group) to support him?

or the House of Representatives, which seems to be the body who proposes legislation, yet doesn't seem to have the power to enact it?

or the Sena ...[text shortened]... it all comes together? (as distinct from a treatise on how it's supposed to work, I mean.)
    Big business contributes huge amounts of what can only be termed as 'bribes' to the campaigns of all major political figures. Candidates are wholly dependent upon these bribes and will always prostrate themselves before big business in an obsequious manner. Therefore big business has the most power. The object of such a government is to enact the agenda of big business while maintaining the illusion that big business is subservient to a democratic majority.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree