1. Joined
    15 Jan '10
    Moves
    07 Feb '10 04:09
    Carthage should have! They had everything going for them-they had at least three active armies in Europe and one was a general who had had complete control of the Italian Peninsula for fourteen years. Many of Rome's allies had deserted her.
  2. silicon valley
    Moves
    07 Feb '10 04:20
    time-travelling CIA agents probly hosed them up.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    07 Feb '10 08:41
    Then we would all be speaking Carthaginian now. 🙁
  4. Joined
    15 Jan '10
    Moves
    07 Feb '10 10:241 edit
    That's not a language. First, the two major languages spoken in Rome were Latin and Greek, so you can't say anything about speaking "Roman."

The language spoken in Carthage was Punic, a derivative of Phoenician. I'm pretty sure that what we're speaking now wouldn't depend on this outcome heavily in the beginning. English is a West Germanic language, something it shares with Dutch and German. Greek and Latin have obvious influences-in the case of Latin this can be through Romance languages (descendants of Latin i.e. Italian, French, Spanish).

If Carthage had won, the language we are speaking now might have had major Phoenician influences.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    07 Feb '10 10:59
    Originally posted by Tigerfire
    That's not a language. First, the two major languages spoken in Rome were Latin and Greek, so you can't say anything about speaking "Roman."

The language spoken in Carthage was Punic, a derivative of Phoenician. I'm pretty sure that what we're speaking now wouldn't depend on this outcome heavily in the beginning. English is a West Germanic language ...[text shortened]... age had won, the language we are speaking now might have had major Phoenician influences.
    If you're going to give that kind of response to a post which is obviously not intended as a serious post, at least list the remaining West Germanic languages as well!
  6. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    07 Feb '10 11:09
    Carthage should have! They had everything going for them-they had at least three active armies in Europe and one was a general who had had complete control of the Italian Peninsula for fourteen years. Many of Rome's allies had deserted her.
    Good old Fabius Cunctator! G. Washington probably studied a lot on his strategy of avoiding major combat and relying on attrition.
  7. Standard memberexpuddlepirate
    Exaulted high possum
    here...again
    Moves
    07 Feb '10 12:55
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    If you're going to give that kind of response to a post which is obviously not intended as a serious post, at least list the remaining West Germanic languages as well!
    1. Hochdeutsch

2. Plattdeutsch

3. Dutch

4. Danish

5. Norwegian

6. Swedish

7. Icelanic

8. English

(Do I win?)
  8. Germany
    Moves
    07 Feb '10 16:412 edits
    Originally posted by expuddlepirate
    1. Hochdeutsch

2. Plattdeutsch

3. Dutch

4. Danish

5. Norwegian

6. Swedish

7. Icelanic

8. English

(Do I win?)
    No, you don't, but Wikipedia can tell you the answer. The remaining two, apart from English, Dutch and German, are Frisian, Yiddish and Afrikaans plus some minor ones (of course what constitutes a language and not a dialect is more influenced by politics than by actual differences).
  9. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    07 Feb '10 16:59
    4. Danish

5. Norwegian

6. Swedish

7. Icelanic
    These four are North Germanic languages!
  10. Standard memberexpuddlepirate
    Exaulted high possum
    here...again
    Moves
    07 Feb '10 18:24
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    No, you don't, but Wikipedia can tell you the answer. The remaining two, apart from English, Dutch and German, are Frisian, Yiddish and Afrikaans plus some minor ones (of course what constitutes a language and not a dialect is more influenced by politics than by actual differences).
    I forgot those three. If memory serves me right, and every now and then it does, Frisian is a blend of german and dutch ?
  11. Germany
    Moves
    07 Feb '10 19:37
    I forgot those three. If memory serves me right, and every now and then it does, Frisian is a blend of german and dutch ?
    (west) Frisian is similar to Dutch but a bit more similar to English than Dutch is.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    07 Feb '10 19:46
    This would have made the barbarian invasions in the Dark Ages quite interesting. It's tough to run/ride to North Africa from West Asia!
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Feb '10 20:33
    There down fall was reading the prisnors they captured their Miranda rights and letting them have a civilian trial where many were later released later overthrew Carthage.
  14. silicon valley
    Moves
    08 Feb '10 07:04
    if you think about it, wandering around in the enemy's territory for fourteen years without imposing an actual occupation sounds really stupid. isn't that what happened? i mean, you've got to lose sometime, and if you're in the enemy's jaws ...
  15. Standard memberexpuddlepirate
    Exaulted high possum
    here...again
    Moves
    08 Feb '10 08:51
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    if you think about it, wandering around in the enemy's territory for fourteen years without imposing an actual occupation sounds really stupid. isn't that what happened? i mean, you've got to lose sometime, and if you're in the enemy's jaws ...
    The anceint celts had a practice of defeat, plunder and move on. I think thevalue of that was not having the overhead and drain on the forces of an occupation. However the fault of the celts on the other hand was their lack of a unified national unity. Vercengetorix came too late as being a central ruler.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree