1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 00:551 edit
    Originally posted by Lundos
    So a bit below the average wage in Denmark. Is this considered at lot in the US?
    No, it's below average here too.

2013 numbers:

Median US income: $51,939
    Not sure about the mean, but it's well over $60k
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 00:56
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    It is a solid middle class professional income. Nothing exceptional.
    $45,300 for a family is lower middle class. If both spouses work, that's a different story.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 01:10
    Originally posted by sh76
    $45,300 for a family is lower middle class. If both spouses work, that's a different story.
    According to an article I saw, his wife works for the Ferguson PD.

I'd say $45,300 for a 28 year old is a decent salary. It was also reported that he worked security jobs; he called in for one the night of the shooting.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 01:11
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I don't doubt that shootings are rare in Denmark. Cops in the US used to carry six shooters as well, but in many cases cops would be outgunned by drug dealers with Glocks here.

I have no idea of Wilson's marksmanship. It all changes in a life threatening situation. Most people in the US have no wish to even visit Denmark. Years ago, I read an article which made the point that even Swedes have some difficulty visiting Denmark.
    Wilson wasn't "outgunned" by the unarmed Brown.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 01:141 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    According to an article I saw, his wife works for the Ferguson PD.

I'd say $45,300 for a 28 year old is a decent salary. It was also reported that he worked security jobs; he called in for one the night of the shooting.
    Yes, a double such salary plus something extra on the side and suddenly you're doing nicely.

I wouldn't want to try to support a family with a couple of kids on $43,500 though.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 01:191 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    Yes, a double such salary plus something extra on the side and suddenly you're doing nicely.

I wouldn't want to try to support a family with a couple of kids on $43,500 though.
    I'd bet most people in Ferguson with two kids have to.

EDIT: Median household income is about $37,000. Twenty two percent of people in Ferguson live below the poverty line. http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/12/us/5-things-ferguson-missouri/
  7. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 01:52
    Wilson wasn't "outgunned" by the unarmed Brown.
    You well know that is irrelevant.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 01:54
    I'd bet most people in Ferguson with two kids have to.

EDIT: Median household income is about $37,000. Twenty two percent of people in Ferguson live below the poverty line. http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/12/us/5-things-ferguson-missouri/
    Based on data from the Congressional Research Service, cumulative spending on means-tested federal welfare programs, if converted into cash, would equal $167.65 per day per household living below the poverty level. By comparison, the median household income in 2011 of $50,054 equals $137.13 per day. Additionally, spending on federal welfare benefits, if converted into cash payments, equals enough to provide $30.60 per hour, 40 hours per week, to each household living below poverty. The median household hourly wage is $25.03. After accounting for federal taxes, the median hourly wage drops to between $21.50 and $23.45, depending on a household’s deductions and filing status. State and local taxes further reduce the median household’s hourly earnings. By contrast, welfare benefits are not taxed.

http://www.budget.senate.gov/republican/public/index.cfm/2012/12/total-welfare-spending-equates-to-168-per-day-for-every-household-in-poverty

Looks like the poor of Ferguson are making more than some would like to admit.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 02:07
    Originally posted by Eladar
    [b]Based on data from the Congressional Research Service, cumulative spending on means-tested federal welfare programs, if converted into cash, would equal $167.65 per day per household living below the poverty level. By comparison, the median household income in 2011 of $50,054 equals $137.13 per day. Additionally, spending on federal welfare benefits, if co ...[text shortened]... d-in-poverty

Dividing total spending on a program by the number of beneficiaries and then comparing it with the actual money received by others is a misleading apples to orange comparison. A lot of the money doesn't go to the individual beneficiaries and a lot of what would be included (say health care benefits) are not included in the median wage of the others.

Even someone as foolish as you can't possibly believe that welfare benefits (naturally you are assuming every poor person in Ferguson gets said benefit which is surely false) make those who receive them better off than the average household. Or maybe you are that foolish.
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 02:101 edit
    Dividing total spending on a program by the number of beneficiaries and then comparing it with the actual money received by others is a misleading apples to orange comparison. A lot of the money doesn't go to the individual beneficiaries and a lot of what would be included (say health care benefits) are not included in the median wage of the others.

E ...[text shortened]... ake those who receive them better off than the average household. Or maybe you are that foolish.
    It is still a pretty cushy life for someone who doesn't have to get up and go to work ever. Oh, except to go to the mailbox, and check cashing shop.
  11. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 06:36
    I have no idea of Wilson's marksmanship. It all changes in a life threatening situation. Most people in the US have no wish to even visit Denmark. Years ago, I read an article which made the point that even Swedes have some difficulty visiting Denmark.
    Most people in the US probably don't even know about Denmark.

Well, don't trust everything you read. Fx, I just read that the leader of the opposition in Poland, Jaroslaw Kaczynski, said that pedophilia was legal in Denmark, which is, of course, a complete and utter lie.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 07:39
    [b]Based on data from the Congressional Research Service, cumulative spending on means-tested federal welfare programs, if converted into cash, would equal $167.65 per day per household living below the poverty level. By comparison, the median household income in 2011 of $50,054 equals $137.13 per day. Additionally, spending on federal welfare benefits, if co ...[text shortened]... d-in-poverty

That must be why many try to avoid taking a job. One of my sons told me that there are a few people that routinely come in asking if they have any job openings and if none are available they request he fill out a paper that they were there looking for a job. He said a couple times, even though there was still no openings, he told them there was to see what they would say. They quickly told him they were just checking and left.
  13. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 07:46
    It is still a pretty cushy life for someone who doesn't have to get up and go to work ever. Oh, except to go to the mailbox, and check cashing shop.
    Except for one thing Norm,

...it's called a conscience.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 08:01
    You have to live in Ferguson.
    I will gladly move once I get the job.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 08:02
    If you want to get the job, try applying.
    I thought I just did. Or is whodey not authorized to offer the job on the internet?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree