1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    28 Oct '17 16:052 edits
    This has been one of life's little mysteries. I've seen people go through some very strange contortions trying to get ketchup out of a bottle, they shake it violently and nothing happens, until at last half the bottle sprays out onto their fries, than all over the restaurant table and down their shirt. The upside down bottles that sit upright on their caps are only slightly better. This is just one if life's mysteries. Others are: Why do they put braille dot pads on drive thru ATM's? Why do overlook and over see mean opposite things? Can snakes sit? Why do people spend 10 min. rearranging the dishwasher to fit in one last plate instead of taking 1 min. to wash the plate?

There are many things in life that may never be solved. 😛
  2. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Oct '17 17:56
    Originally posted by @mchill
    This has been one of life's little mysteries. I've seen people go through some very strange contortions trying to get ketchup out of a bottle, they shake it violently and nothing happens, until at last half the bottle sprays out onto their fries, than all over the restaurant table and down their shirt. The upside down bottles that sit upright on their caps a ...[text shortened]... aking 1 min. to wash the plate?

I once dropped a jar of ketchup on my foot. It caused immense pain To ma toes.

😞

(Wish I hadn't posted that 'joke.' - The power I guess of Heinz sight).
  3. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    28 Oct '17 18:521 edit
    This has been one of life's little mysteries. I've seen people go through some very strange contortions trying to get ketchup out of a bottle, they shake it violently and nothing happens, until at last half the bottle sprays out onto their fries, than all over the restaurant table and down their shirt. The upside down bottles that sit upright on their caps a ...[text shortened]... aking 1 min. to wash the plate?

From Wikipedia:

Commercial tomato ketchup has an additive, usually xanthan gum, which gives the condiment a pseudoplastic or "shear thinning" property -- more commonly known as thixotropic. This increases the viscosity of the ketchup considerably with a relatively small amount added -- usually 0.5% -- which can make it difficult to pour from a container. However, the shear thinning property of the gum ensures that when a force is applied to the ketchup it will lower the viscosity, enabling the sauce to flow. A common method to getting ketchup out of the bottle involves inverting the bottle and shaking it or hitting the bottom with the heel of the hand, which causes the ketchup to flow rapidly. A technique involves inverting the bottle and forcefully tapping its upper neck with two fingers (index and middle finger together). Specifically, with a Heinz ketchup glass bottle, one taps the 57 circle on the neck. This helps the ketchup flow by applying the correct shearing force. These techniques work because of how pseudoplastic fluids behave: their viscosity (resistance to flow) decreases with increasing shear rate. The faster the ketchup is sheared (by shaking or tapping the bottle), the more fluid it becomes. After the shear is removed the ketchup thickens to its original viscosity.

Ketchup is a non-Newtonian fluid, meaning that its viscosity changes under stress and is not constant. It is a shear thinning fluid, which means its viscosity decreases with increased shear stress. The equation used to designate a Non-Newtonian fluid is as follows: {\displaystyle \eta =\tau /{\dot {y}}} {\displaystyle \eta =\tau /{\dot {y}}}. This equation represents apparent viscosity where apparent viscosity is the shear stress divided by shear rate. Viscosity is dependent on stress. This is apparent when you shake a bottle of tomato sauce/ketchup so it becomes liquid enough to squirt out. Its viscosity decreased with stress.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '17 19:02
    Use a knife.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    28 Oct '17 22:15

"Why do they put braille dot pads on drive thru ATM's"
    so a blind person can be driven there by someone and withdraw money.

"I've seen people go through some very strange contortions trying to get ketchup out of a bottle"
    more convenient than turning a jar upside down and half of it spilling on your fries.
  6. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    29 Oct '17 01:09
    Same thing here but a full bottle of Knob Creek bourbon from top shelf of freezer. Stuck my foot out to save it. Broken foot. Didn't feel any pain after a few mins.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree