Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 10 May '16 02:40 / 1 edit
    In the last six elections, 19 states and Washington, DC have voted for the Democrat every time. Their total electoral votes add up to 242, just 28 away from the necessary 270 to win.

If Clinton wins Florida, which has 29 electoral votes, game over.

In the same six elections, 13 states have voted for the Republican every time. Their electoral votes only add up to 102. That puts the Republican 168 electoral votes short.

How can this ever be overcome?
  2. 10 May '16 03:07 / 1 edit
    Me thinks a big surprise come Nov. And yor math is a bit off. Can you say BUSH?
  3. 10 May '16 11:19
    Originally posted by kquinn909
    Me thinks a big surprise come Nov. And yor math is a bit off. Can you say BUSH?
    Bush barely won in Florida, which is one of the criteria for the GOP to win the White House as I stated.

Bush essentially decimated the GOP with his liberal policies, such as massive entitlements, wars abroad, massive spending, lack of immigration control, appointing what turned out to be a flaming lib in justice Roberts, etc.

Washington politics is too one sided and rigged, as Bernie Sanders or Trump would say. No true words have ever been spoken, which may be the only words they speak that are the truth.
  4. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    10 May '16 12:12
    Originally posted by whodey
    Bush barely won in Florida, which is one of the criteria for the GOP to win the White House as I stated.

Bush essentially decimated the GOP with his liberal policies, such as massive entitlements, wars abroad, massive spending, lack of immigration control, appointing what turned out to be a flaming lib in justice Roberts, etc.

Washington politics is too ...[text shortened]... No true words have ever been spoken, which may be the only words they speak that are the truth.
    Besides, Bush wasn't even the president, Chaney was, directing things in the back rooms.

Bush was a puppet.
  5. 10 May '16 12:24
    Hispanics and blacks now make up over 30% of the US population and that figure is increasing all the time. As a group they vote overwhelmingly democrat. (For blacks it's 100% for all practical purposes).
    Add to that the percentage of whites that vote democrat and I don't see a Republican president anytime in the future unless something really weird happens.
    I think that was the Democrat game plan all along when they pushed the 1965 immigration act through.
  6. 10 May '16 14:55
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Besides, Bush wasn't even the president, Chaney was, directing things in the back rooms.

Bush was a puppet.
    You are the puppet, repeating that crap.
  7. 10 May '16 15:15
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    Hispanics and blacks now make up over 30% of the US population and that figure is increasing all the time. As a group they vote overwhelmingly democrat. (For blacks it's 100% for all practical purposes).
    Add to that the percentage of whites that vote democrat and I don't see a Republican president anytime in the future unless something really weird happ ...[text shortened]... ink that was the Democrat game plan all along when they pushed the 1965 immigration act through.
    I wonder how long blacks will keep allowing Democrat politicians to promise them change, and not hold them to account?

The truth is that Southern Democrats were the force that held back blacks. They keep voting for their slave masters.
  8. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    10 May '16 23:57
    In the last six elections, 19 states and Washington, DC have voted for the Democrat every time. Their total electoral votes add up to 242, just 28 away from the necessary 270 to win.

In the same six elections, 13 states have voted for the Republican every time. Their electoral votes on ...[text shortened]... up to 102. That puts the Republican 168 electoral votes short.

The short answer is "yes" there will be. All it would take is another terror attack, or a hiccup in the economy, and swing voters will go running for the right wing. The Democrats have the edge now, no doubt, but I'm sorry to say American's as a whole are not the sharpest tools in the shed. There will be another republican president.
  9. Standard member vivify
    rain
    11 May '16 00:19 / 4 edits
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I wonder how long blacks will keep allowing Democrat politicians to promise them change, and not hold them to account?

The truth is that Southern Democrats were the force that held back blacks. They keep voting for their slave masters.
    This is a dumb statement, given how fervently the GOP has tried to block Obama from accomplishing anything: the record number of filibusters, the government shut down, blocking Obama from picking a Justice...etc., etc., etc.

How do you expect Democrats to provide "change" when your party does this? On top of this, isn't it conservatives who oppose affirmative action, something signed into law by Democrats? And isn't Republicans who criticize Democrats for giving "handouts", to the poor, many of whom are black?

It's amazing. Conservatives block Democrats from accomplishing anything, and then criticize Democrats for not accomplishing anything.
  10. 11 May '16 06:28
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    Add to that the percentage of whites that vote democrat and I don't see a Republican president anytime in the future unless something really weird happ ...[text shortened]... ink that was the Democrat game plan all along when they pushed the 1965 immigration act through.
    George W. Bush won about 40% of the Hispanic vote - it is only after the GOP started focusing more heavily on "border security" (read: wetbacks out) that their share of the Hispanic vote dropped dramatically. Many Hispanics are devout Christians so there is much ground to be gained for the GOP simply by putting less emphasis on appeasing the xenophobic part of their electorate which is likely to vote GOP anyway. Many in the GOP already realize this, of course, but the interests of the GOP as a party and individual Congressmen who might face primary challenges from others with a more xenophobic platform do not always coincide.
  11. 14 May '16 18:19 / 3 edits
    I doubt it, almost all the people in the 18-30 spectre are voting for democrats, with the argument: why work when you can have "free" money?
    "yeah tax the rich" Then the rich will leave and that weakens the economy
    "free college" really, do i really trust you to pull that off, in the United States of America ??!! you two dem candidates have a HUUUGE history of accomplishing good radical changes!
    "abortions; this is my life, i can do whatever i want, not a biggie" nope
    and minorities, latinos, blacks, LGBT, lazy minded people, those minorities are increasing exponentially, specially the last one mentioned.

the world is generating a loooot of democrats

i can only wonder how can republicans win ground on this...
  12. 14 May '16 18:26
    Originally posted by n59690
    I doubt it, almost all the people in the 18-30 spectre are voting for democrats, with the argument: why work when you can have "free" money?
    How many people in the "18-30 spectre (sic)" have you heard giving this argument?
  13. 15 May '16 10:30

In the same six elections, 13 states have voted for the Republican every time. Their electoral votes on ...[text shortened]... up to 102. That puts the Republican 168 electoral votes short.

just flipping a couple of states changes everything
  14. Standard member Amaurote
    No Name Maddox
    15 May '16 11:45 / 2 edits

Dissolve and call for PR. The GOP is now three or four parties - a racist and xenophobic element who hate immigrants and Muslims, an element of actively anti-science religious obsessives, a libertarian faction and a neocon group who favour a larger, more oppressive state and an aggressive foreign policy. All of these factions have a strong bedrock of support and would logically do much better if they were forming loose ad hoc alliances with one another after polling instead of pretending they shared some kind of half-baked mission.

One thing I will say :you can forget about defeat this November being another Goldwater moment. This won't be the trigger for thirty years of ideological backlashism, it'll be unremitting disaster for Republicans. They will be forever toxified by close association with an utter buffoon, just as they're already embarrassed on foreign talkshows by people who ask them whether they believe in evolution.

One thing the Dems should not do this time is make the mistake of over-estimating Donald Trump, or think that he's some kind of Goldwater-in-waiting; on the contrary they should be nailing every Republican candidate firmly to his statements and profile every chance they get, all the way to polling day.
  15. 15 May '16 16:58 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    This is a dumb statement, given how fervently the GOP has tried to block Obama from accomplishing anything: the record number of filibusters, the government shut down, blocking Obama from picking a Justice...etc., etc., etc.

How do you expect Democrats to provide "change" when your party does this? On top of this, isn't it conservatives who oppose affi ...[text shortened]... ocrats from accomplishing anything, and then criticize Democrats for not accomplishing anything.
    That is the system the founders set up. Whether the opposition party is R or D, doesn't matter.

Gaining nominal control of both houses and the Presidency doesn't grease the skids for any old party legislation. There is opposition in both parties to what the majority wants.

Of course the GOP fervently opposes Obama. Did the Dems do less to slow up Dubya? That's why we have opposition parties.