World impact of Jesus

World impact of Jesus

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
26 Dec 13
1 edit

Originally posted by phil3000
Whose safety was /is he responsible for ?
Why should he be held responsible for any ones safety.

p

Moves
26 Dec 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Why should he be held responsible for any ones safety.
I would like to believe in him but what exactly does he do ?

rc

Moves
26 Dec 13

I would like to believe in him but what exactly does he do ?
He is a teacher, he teaches spirituality.

P

Moves
26 Dec 13

Originally posted by whodey
What has been and continues to be the world wide impact of Jesus?

Is there anyone comparable?
I think I would probably place Muhammad above Jesus in terms of current world impact.

In Jesus' favor would be the raw number of followers (a quick google search shows around 2.0 billion or so Christians vs. Islam having around 1.5 billion).

In Muhammad's favor: he appears to have been much more successful during his lifetime at gaining converts. Islam was the major religion in the Arabian Peninsula before Muhammad died, while Christianity was not the major religion in the Roman Empire until about 3 centuries after Jesus, after Constantine became Emperor in the early 300's. As a result of this relatively long time frame, the rise of Christianity was much more of a group effort. Constantine and many of the early Christians like Paul deserve much of the credit for the rise of Christianity.

So even though Islam has fewer followers than Christianity, Muhammad was more personally responsible for the rise of Islam than Jesus was for the rise of Christianity, and that places Muhammad above Jesus in terms of impact.

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
26 Dec 13

Robin Hood
Lol, takes from the 99% and gives to the 1%.

w

Moves
27 Dec 13
1 edit

Originally posted by PatNovak
I think I would probably place Muhammad above Jesus in terms of current world impact.

In Jesus' favor would be the raw number of followers (a quick google search shows around 2.0 billion or so Christians vs. Islam having around 1.5 billion).

In Muhammad's favor: he appears to have been much more successful during his lifetime at gaining converts. Isla ...[text shortened]... Jesus was for the rise of Christianity, and that places Muhammad above Jesus in terms of impact.
But Mohammad and his followers claim to have been a fan of Jesus as well.

Conversely, most Christians I know are not fans of Mohammad.

P

Moves
27 Dec 13

That is an interesting point I hadn't really considered. My understanding of Islam is pretty limited, but I think they view Jesus' importance maybe somewhere along the lines that Christians would view Moses or some other fairly major prophet.

It is a counterfactual, so it is impossible to know. But my sense is that the number of Christians today would be largely unchanged if any one individual (other than Jesus) was removed from the Bible. By the same token, I think removing Jesus from the Quran would probably leave the membership numbers of Islam similarly unchanged. Hopefully, there is someone on the board more knowledgeable than I am about Islam that can address this better.

Moves
27 Dec 13

To hear some Christians talk, Satan is just as real and holds greater sway at present than either of them. Else, why will it take a return and great battle to rectify things?

p

Moves
27 Dec 13

Originally posted by JS357
To hear some Christians talk, Satan is just as real and holds greater sway at present than either of them. Else, why will it take a return and great battle to rectify things?
It's all part of the great story .

rc

Moves
27 Dec 13

It's all part of the great story .
With the world cup coming up you'll be in need of a few miracles Phil!

p

Moves
27 Dec 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
With the world cup coming up you'll be in need of a few miracles Phil!
Well Robbie , I sent a prayer to Jesus about helping England in the world cup and he told me " That my friend is beyond even my greatest of miracle's "🙁

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
28 Dec 13

What has been and continues to be the world wide impact of Jesus?

Is there anyone comparable?
I would have to say it is someone who is reviled by both Christians and Moslems. Judging from all the evil things attributed to this person by both religions I think Satan wins hands down. 😀

w

Moves
30 Dec 13
1 edit

Originally posted by caissad4
I would have to say it is someone who is reviled by both Christians and Moslems. Judging from all the evil things attributed to this person by both religions I think Satan wins hands down. 😀
I would have to disagree. Satan is attributed with things we detest and Jesus the things we love. That is why pretty much every religion, and even secularists, hold him in such great esteem.

Jesus showed us leadership. He showed us the true definition of leadership.

Matthew 20:25 "You know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them. But it shall not be so among you; but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister. And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant. Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many."

This shows us the true definition of leadership. It is leadership by example and not from self service. Jesus showed the world that leadership need not come from being educated, from being wealthy, but rather from simply being engaged in serving mankind and God. Men such as Ghandi have followed this example, and they can attest to its power.

To think that a poor uneducated Jew became the most influential person the world has ever known, and he did not even so much as write about himself.

Moves
30 Dec 13
1 edit

I would have to disagree. Satan is attributed with things we detest and Jesus the things we love. That is why pretty much every religion, and even secularists, hold him in such great esteem.

Jesus showed us leadership. He showed us the true definition of leadership.

Matthew 20:25 "You know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them ...[text shortened]... influential person the world has ever known, and he did not even so much as write about himself.
So you are to say that the world impact of Jesus is greater than the world impact of Satan. Are there any measures of this? After all, the majority are nonbelievers, and among the believers, there are those that condemn one another, and there is the promise of a great battle. Why a great battle, if Jesus has greater impact without the need for one? It's simple, admit Satan has at present, greater world impact.

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
02 Jan 14

Originally posted by JS357
So you are to say that the world impact of Jesus is greater than the world impact of Satan. Are there any measures of this? After all, the majority are nonbelievers, and among the believers, there are those that condemn one another, and there is the promise of a great battle. Why a great battle, if Jesus has greater impact without the need for one? It's simple, admit Satan has at present, greater world impact.
Very true. The OP asked for greatest influence and Our Great Lord Satan is a major influence in both Christianity and Islam. It seems you can't listen to a religious broadcast without hearing about "that dirty old devil".