1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    24 May '15 05:241 edit
    This subject may belong in the spirituality section, but I wanted to get a few opinions here. I've been doing Hatha Yoga, and a few min. of meditation a day for my health for a few months. I've lost a few pounds, and feel better overall. My question is, since Yoga has it's roots in India, is there a basic conflict between Yoga and Judaism or Christianity? I've heard some Jews and Christians say "No" but others disagree. Any thoughts?
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    24 May '15 06:14
    Originally posted by bill718
    This subject may belong in the spirituality section, but I wanted to get a few opinions here. I've been doing Hatha Yoga, and a few min. of meditation a day for my health for a few months. I've lost a few pounds, and feel better overall. My question is, since Yoga has it's roots in India, is there a basic conflict between Yoga and Judaism or Christianity? I've heard some Jews and Christians say "No" but others disagree. Any thoughts?
    Just realize that "some Christians" or some people of any belief system, will curse you for relying on any other source of guidance, or comfort, or whatever, in addition to or stead of, their own chosen source.

You can't please everyone. Do what helps you.

The above is unnecessary, as you already know it.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 May '15 08:30
    Its a very interesting subject and I suspect that ultimately it will depend on your conscience and what you hope to achieve. Much of what I can see on the internet termed , 'yoga', is no more than stretching exercises with no religious or spiritual connotations and yet for others it has a deep spiritual significance and their motivations may be entirely different than relaxation and meditation which of course foments a conflict of interests for the discerning.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 May '15 08:50
    It all depends on what your meditation involves. If there are religious aspects to it, or magical aspects to it, there may be a conflict. If you keep your meditation (and any other practices) entirely secular then there should be no conflict.

Sam Harris promotes secular forms of meditation. Although he himself is anti-religion, the meditation he promotes is not.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 May '15 02:481 edit
    No matter what your religion, the human body and mind benefit from focused calming (as well as calming focus) exercises. Do what works is the best advice.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 May '15 10:23
    You may want to consult your government leaders before making your decision.

After all, they know far better how to live your life than anyone else on the planet.
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    29 May '15 13:05
    is there a basic conflict between Yoga and Judaism?
    Depends.

How much money can you make out of yoga?
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    01 Jun '15 22:561 edit
    If you treat Yoga simply as a sort of sport, then it is compatible with any and every religion.

However, Yoga is essentially a spiritual discipline. Training the body is its means of training the mind for spiritual ends. It is not exclusive and is therefore compatible with Judaism &/or Christianity, at least from the Hindu perspective. Judaism and Christianity tend to be exclusivist religions, and so may not be compatible with Yoga from their perspective.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree