2 Versus 3-Dimensional

General

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
06 Mar 08
3 edits

2 Versus 3-Dimensional

Transitioning from five plus decades of over the board play to a small 2-dimensional screen has been and still is an ongoing challenge.

Impaired vision and limited keyboard dexterity also aggravate the situation. Late summer identified three options: (1) Shoot if you must

this old blond head (quit the site). (2) Keep on persisting and try to become somewhat more efficient within my obvious inefficiency

(struggle along). (3) Think outside the bun (find a creative way to actually become efficient). Went with number three. Trotted out my

old wooden (lead weighted) Staunton pieces and worn beige and green vinyl board. After the first 8-10 opening moves, as the position

complicates, I now often set up the game in order to be able to physically handle the pieces and play around with next move options

from both sides of the board. Fully realize doing so accomodates an established comfort zone rather developing a new one but it does

seem to help the decision process and minimize eyesight blunders. Being able to imagine an opponent in my living room is another nice

unanticipated benefit. Just wondered if I was alone with this 'dinosaur freaky' solution or if there may be others who, also, take the time to

actually push wood around... for the same or different reasons.

Thanks for your suggestions and comments. -gb 🙂

P.S. Remember one game (think it was with Mickey Knox) in which I actually sent a feedback about the pink coloration instead of green...
few minutes later realizing my attempted move ignored the fact that my king was still in check. Sent a follow up feedback of apology.
Believe that evening was the moment of truth in terms of identifying options.

i
SelfProclaimedTitler

Moves
06 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
2 Versus 3-Dimensional

Transitioning from five plus decades of over the board play to a small 2-dimensional screen has been and still is an ongoing challenge.

Impaired vision and limited keyboard dexterity also aggravate the situation. Late summer identified three options: (1) Shoot if you must

this old blond head (quit the site). (2) Kee ... for the same or different reasons.

Thanks for your suggestions and comments. -gb 🙂
Your posts always seem interesting but even if I am pretty eloquent in my language, your posts are too much for my English skills. 🙁

Anyway, pushing the wood is much more satisfying for me than looking at shiny LCD screen. It is not about being dinosaurus, part of the chess beauty is a bit hedonistic, playing with nice old fashioned wooden set and pieces which make that beutiful sound whan they are changing their square is what I like the most about the game.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
06 Mar 08

Originally posted by ivan2908
Your posts always seem interesting but even if I am pretty eloquent in my language, your posts are too much for my English skills. 🙁

Anyway, pushing the wood is much more satisfying for me than looking at shiny LCD screen. It is not about being dinosaurus, part of the chess beauty is a bit hedonistic, playing with nice old fashioned wooden set and pie ...[text shortened]... that beutiful sound whan they are changing their square is what I like the most about the game.
Hadn't thought much about the tactile sense... but believe you're right.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
06 Mar 08

Originally posted by ivan2908

Anyway, pushing the wood is much more satisfying for me than looking at shiny LCD screen. It is not about being dinosaurus, part of the chess beauty is a bit hedonistic, playing with nice old fashioned wooden set and pie ...[text shortened]... that beutiful sound whan they are changing their square is what I like the most about the game.
?

It's mostly like reading a Tolkien 4 page description of scenery

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.