1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Mar '15 15:38
    2015 RHP Prose Competition (Especially Memorable Lines)

Entry 1 Frankie "And now my heart aches as I think of those missed opportunities I had, to hug her, kiss her cheek and tell her what a fabulously funny friend she had been. To let her know that I had felt so proud to be called Frankie's friend."

Entry 2 - 2031: A Space Odyssey "He was sitting at his desk--an unremarkable thing for most humans who ever lived, but somewhat challenging in the zero-g environment of the Clarke as it closed in on the narrow F ring of Saturn. Hook and loop pads held the cyberneticist's body to his thinly-cushioned seat. His forehead wrinkled in concentration, he puzzled over some recent oddities in the behavior of the onboard computer. Food had been burned in the galley's robo-oven. LEDs in lighting strips had smoked and then winked out from buss overvolts. The ship had rolled and yawed slowly at unplanned times."

Entry 3 Billy "The painful truth is as I sit here at my Desk, I never made it to the funeral never got to the cremation, I lost it, Angela is coming back to England in June this year Bill was born June sixth, We are all taking a trip to Whitby Bills favourite place and we will scatter his ashes into the North Sea

........Death is sad

....... especially for the living."

Entry 4 - remmieno3 "She sat at her desk as Professor Penderghast chased the hooded figure through the ‘pea soup’ smog of London’s back alleys to the familiar accompaniment of a Remmington No 2 click clacking in the background. There was a knock at the door, Joyce could not prevent herself from panicking every time this happened but recovering her composure she turned off the recording she had made of herself typing on Remmie and minimalized the word processor screen on her laptop. The hardest part of the deception was learning how to break the occasional cable on a Remmington No2."

Entry 5 - Castle "The gate opened and Sir Godfrey proved to be a young man, as had been Sir Jack’s impression from his voice. He swung the wooden cylinder towards the priest, who quite dexterously caught it. He opened the wooden encasing to find the piece of parchment, adorned with a heavy seal. After he began to read his smile grew and Sir Jack decided that he would punish him for his insolence later on."

Entry 6 - The Life of Detective Deluse “See ya sucker!” said Deluse as he stepped out the front door. The bullet from a block away struck Deluse in the chest. He fell lifeless on the cement.

His dead fish eyes stared straight up at me as I stood over him. “I did not do this.” I said as I slowly crushed the cigarette under my shoe. In the distance Billy and Miguel continued their struggle for the gun."

Entry 7 - Coming Home isn't always welcome "After i arrived home, I walked round to the back garden following the smell of homemade sausage casserole; I don’t think I even had my eyes open as I entered the back door into the kitchen. I put my briefcase on the kitchen table as the door to the lounge opened and I heard an ear piercing scream. Jane stood there with a look of terror in her eyes as she stumbled back against the wall screaming for dear life before she slid down the wall, hands clenched against her face within seconds two more people shot through the door, my brother, Chris, and my best friend, Phil. Jane finally stopped screaming but was now pressed into the corner with apparent fear and the guys still in a frozen state of shock, fear and confusion. I was in a similar state, and did not dare move. After a few moments I had to break the silence..."

Entry 8 - The Phone Call "Her IQ will be among the highest in the world, that much we already know. Alice is so proud! I am so proud! She will be capable of things we can’t even imagine now. Alice coming downstairs, finishing dressing, no bulge showing yet but the implant is already doing its job. She is brimming with joy knowing what is in store for baby Annie."

Entry 9 - The Butterfly "We showed up at the appointed time, knowing what was coming. This was the early 1950s and THE STRAP was the punishment as a deterrent for such nonsense. Ronnie said, "Thanks fellas but I did it not you guys." We all got it that day, five on each hand and some of us got it on other occasions too but when all was said and done Lynn's butterfly was freed."

Entry 10 - The Three Kings "We sat at the bar intending to have a couple and then go over to my apartment behind the beauty salon on South Park. I lived closest. I ordered up our traditional Christmas drink of tequila shots. Many years ago we’d run through the ritual of lemon and salt but that part of our tradition was gone. “To your health!”, Skins said knowing that the last thing tequila was was for your health. “Last night I was over at Terry’s, she wouldn’t let me in. I had presents for her and the kids and she called the cops when I started kicking the door. When I left I threw the gifts all over the front lawn. They were still there when I walked by the house on my way over here”. Terry was Skins wife."

Entry 11 - Lilac "Below a stained glass window I lay. Draped in a sheet of white voile lilies, bathed in a prism of colours. I wait for you. Formally trussed in a white dress to my breathless throat. Dressed for my last dance, my last performance...."

"You whisper things I do not understand. Tell me you are sorry and how you wish I were here. You kiss my waxen forehead, rest your palm along my cheek. Try to warm me for a moment then try again. But I am cold and I am gone. Then you am I and you are here alone with your timeless memories of me. Willing me to move and rise up from this place. Willing me to tell you it is all a dream. Wanting to breath your life into my chest. Wishing you could bring my broken heart back to life.

But I have flown. Long before you ever heard I had gone. So you sit at your desk and write your pointless words, to resurrect me for a moment only to let me fall again back into the mist of time forever."
  2. Joined
    15 Apr '05
    Moves
    04 Mar '15 18:34
    This is a nice addition!
  3. Joined
    18 Apr '06
    Moves
    04 Mar '15 21:31
    Thank you for organising this again

Votes from the badbadger over on blitz:

1 pt to Billy

3 pts to 2031: A space oddessy

and my 5 points go to : The Life of Detective Deluse
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    04 Mar '15 22:50
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]2015 RHP Prose Competition (Especially Memorable Lines)

Entry 1 Frankie "And now my heart aches as I think of those missed opportunities I had, to hug her, kiss her cheek and tell her what a fabulously funny friend she had been. To let her know that I had felt so proud to be called Frankie's friend."

Entry 2 - 2031: A Space Odys ...[text shortened]... rds, to resurrect me for a moment only to let me fall again back into the mist of time forever."
    Memorable to whom, Bobby? You just can't resist interfering, can you?

Can't you just allow other readers to choose their favorites without interjecting your own
    randomly selected passages? Save the reviews until the contest is over.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Mar '15 01:34
    Originally posted by mike169
    This is a nice addition!
    Thanks, mike169. Really has been one of our best prose competitions. -Bob
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    05 Mar '15 09:42
    first choice: Lilac
    second: Frankie
    third: Castle
  7. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    05 Mar '15 09:43
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Thanks, mike169. Really has been one of our best prose competitions. -Bob
    Good on you Bob
  8. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    05 Mar '15 13:16
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Where did you find the original?
    Not that the person on that website claims originality:

http://home.utah.edu/~msm25/Funnies/jerk.html
  9. Joined
    15 Apr '05
    Moves
    05 Mar '15 15:32
    I thought that was nice. Anyone can post their favorite lines if they like. I sure don't mind!
  10. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    05 Mar '15 15:42
    Originally posted by mike169
    I thought that was nice. Anyone can post their favorite lines if they like. I sure don't mind!
    Nor I.
  11. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    06 Mar '15 16:14
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Nor I.
    or I the reformed Bager
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Mar '15 17:51
    Originally posted by redbadger
    or I the reformed Bager
    Did you say Deformed?πŸ™‚
  13. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    06 Mar '15 17:53
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Did you say Deformed?πŸ™‚
    I think so and the circus called too.
  14. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    06 Mar '15 17:55
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    I think so and the circus called too.
    got cast as the singing detective and the Elephant man......choices?
  15. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    06 Mar '15 17:56
    Originally posted by redbadger
    got cast as the singing detective and the Elephant man......choices?
    Too tough for me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree