1. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 14:53
    So I was invited to a dinner in Korea Town. The reason for the choice of restaurant was a particular fish that the served with the barbeque on request. I wasn't given the details, but I was assured it was very tasty.

Enter the dish in question - pieces of freshly filleted fish on a large plate (an eel type fish). A glass of green alcohol was sitting beside the head of the fish which was sitting at the head of the dish, at it were.

It took a few seconds to register that the head (and a small portion of the neck) was moving. It became the talking point of the table, and some pictures were taken. The fish was put on the BBQ, and the head was STILL alive!!!. I took the green drink and motioned towards the fish head...the waitress nodded. So I put the poor buger out of it's misery.

Not much you can do in that situation. To swoon like a manchild would've made me look like a fool, as would walk out. Can't say the fish wasn't fresh, that's for sure.
  2. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 14:58
    Originally posted by @huckleberryhound
    the head was STILL alive!!!
    bite the head first...
  3. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 15:06
    Originally posted by @rookie54
    bite the head first...
    The head wasn't eaten.

Looked it up, not unknown in places like Korea and Japan.
  4. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 15:26
    The head wasn't eaten.

on a universal scale of one to ten, how was yer dinner???
  5. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 15:27
    I took the green drink and motioned towards the fish head...the waitress nodded. So I put the poor buger out of it's misery.
    was the green drink poured on the fishhead, or did you have it drink the poison???
  6. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 15:44
    It's fishy but true,
    I think the movement is only reflexive,
    I never want to see it or think about ift
  7. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 16:10
    Originally posted by @rookie54
    was the green drink poured on the fishhead, or did you have it drink the poison???
    Poured. I poured it a beer in the same glass after the fact.
  8. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 16:11
    Originally posted by @coquette
    It's fishy but true,
    I think the movement is only reflexive,
    I never want to see it or think about ift
    I won't post the video I took then.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 Jun '18 03:50
    So I was invited to a dinner in Korea Town. The reason for the choice of restaurant was a particular fish that the served with the barbeque on request. I wasn't given the details, but I was assured it was very tasty.

Enter the dish in question - pieces of freshly filleted fish on a large plate (an eel type fish). A glass of green alcohol was si ...[text shortened]... made me look like a fool, as would walk out. Can't say the fish wasn't fresh, that's for sure.
    This disgusting practice has been outlawed in Taiwan.
  10. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    05 Jun '18 04:561 edit
    The head wasn't eaten.

My dad did a lot of fishing and eels were a regular part of our diet. They were eaten a few
    hours after being caught with a hook and I remember the cut up pieces flexing on the plate
    the moment they were salted. This was after they had been skinned and gutted.

We all like to think that the creatures we eat are humanely farmed and slaughtered
    but the reality is that most of them have a pretty miserable time and we know that.
  11. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    05 Jun '18 05:08
    Originally posted by @drewnogal
    My dad did a lot of fishing and eels were a regular part of our diet. They were eaten a few
    hours after being caught with a hook and I remember the cut up pieces flexing on the plate
    the moment they were salted. This was after they had been skinned and gutted.

We all like to think that the creatures we eat are humanely farmed and slaughtered
    but the reality is that most of them have a pretty miserable time and we know that.
    Quite common for fish to be bludgeoned on the head at the local wet market, and scaled before purchase. And I can tell you a story about a donkey I saw walked to market but didn't walk home. Cultural difference is what it is, but in future I will politely decline fish at BBQ just in case.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 Jun '18 06:13
    Quite common for fish to be bludgeoned on the head at the local wet market, and scaled before purchase. And I can tell you a story about a donkey I saw walked to market but didn't walk home. Cultural difference is what it is, but in future I will politely decline fish at BBQ just in case.
    If the dish you had is what I think it is it is a fairly modern invention and involves
    deliberately keeping the fish alive by wrapping the head in cold cloth while
    the body is cooked. It is just for "entertainment" - does nothing for the cooking.
  13. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    05 Jun '18 07:061 edit
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    If the dish you had is what I think it is it is a fairly modern invention and involves
    [b]deliberately
    keeping the fish alive by wrapping the head in cold cloth while
    the body is cooked. It is just for "entertainment" - does nothing for the cooking.[/b]
    No. The fish was filleted and pieces raw on the plate.

For those who don't mind watching, here is the dish...

YouTube

(At least it should be)
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    05 Jun '18 11:501 edit
    I recall as a boy scout that a snake once crawled into our camp. We caught it, skinned and gutted it, cut it into chunks, and fried it. The cut-up pieces turned themselves over in the pan. Pure reflex no doubt. Tasted like chicken. No green poison though.
  15. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    05 Jun '18 23:17
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    I recall as a boy scout that a snake once crawled into our camp. We caught it, skinned and gutted it, cut it into chunks, and fried it. The cut-up pieces turned themselves over in the pan. Pure reflex no doubt. Tasted like chicken. No green poison though.
    That sounds like an interesting lesson in life and I imagine that all of it was eaten?
    I have a saying which is if one of God’s creatures has lost it’s life to end up on our
    plate none of it should ever end up in the waste bin.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree