ad hominem

ad hominem

General

Felis Australis

Australia

Moves
20 Apr 12

As someone who didn't do Latin, I'd like a free translation of this. Does it mean something like "playing the man" in football?

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
20 Apr 12

Originally posted by Kewpie
As someone who didn't do Latin, I'd like a free translation of this. Does it mean something like "playing the man" in football?
I think it's simpler than that.. But of it were like football I suppose it would be pass interference, where you climb all over the receiver rather than block the ball.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
20 Apr 12

Daily occurrence in the macho sandbox...

bhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Felis Australis

Australia

Moves
20 Apr 12

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Daily occurrence in the macho sandbox...

[b]bhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
[/b]
Thank you for that link, I really should have thought to do that myself. Duh!

Interesting that the page header says: "Personal attacks" redirects here. For the Wikipedia policy, see Wikipedia:No personal attacks.

That sounds as if the Wikipedia team think that ad hominem statements equate to attacks on the character of the person who made the original statement, doesn't it?

In your face

Moves
20 Apr 12

Thank you for that link, I really should have thought to do that myself. Duh!

Interesting that the page header says: "Personal attacks" redirects here. For the Wikipedia policy, see Wikipedia:No personal attacks.

That sounds as if the Wikipedia team think that ad hominem statements equate to attacks on the character of the person who made the original statement, doesn't it?
What would you know you idiot?

Felis Australis

Australia

Moves
20 Apr 12

😀

In your face

Moves
20 Apr 12

😵

F

Moves
20 Apr 12

Here is an example of an ad hominem post:

Your opinions have no meaning for me for they are relevant to no one but you. Its a pity you feel embittered and prefer to post statements taken out of context from disgruntled ex witnesses which you have not read. This is incontrovertible proof of your prejudice and unless you rid yourself of it, it is not I who is being controlled but you, for you seem willing to believe just about anything that fuels your prejudice, even articles quoted out of context that you have not read. Look how it has made you hateful when i feel no animosity at all, look at your negativity when i am naught but positive, look how it makes you unhappy when I am gleeful and happy to share my understanding. Its poisonous and will do you no good whatsoever, I tell you this truly, you dont need to believe me but i say it nor for my benefit, but for yours.

And if you're interested in its author's desperate attempt to argue that it WASN'T an ad hominem, it can be found here Thread 146191, page 21 onwards.

Felis Australis

Australia

Moves
20 Apr 12

I read the thread you linked to, it's heavy going. One poster makes a series of statements personally belittling another poster, then when called out as an "ad hominem" uses the process of repeated denial of the obvious truth of the statement. If I were the poster being belittled I'd certainly regard it as a personal attack.

F

Moves
20 Apr 12

I read the thread you linked to, it's heavy going.
You are obviously a sucker for punishment. No one should pay any attention to anything you say.

Felis Australis

Australia

Moves
20 Apr 12

OK, OK, I get it. 😛 Looked around a few threads in that forum, seems a bit of it goes on there.

F

Moves
20 Apr 12

OK, OK, I get it. 😛 Looked around a few threads in that forum, seems a bit of it goes on there.
Just trying to teach you about "poisoning the well" while I'm at it.

Moves
20 Apr 12
2 edits

'Spirituality' is the best forum on this site, combining as it does the qualities of many of the other forums into one big bundle of spooky fun:

The pointlessness repetitiveness of the General forum, the pompous artiness of the culture forum, the exacting geekiness of the science forum, the retardedness of the clans forum and the partisan hatred of the debates forum. Unfortunately the only attributes lacking are something from 'help' and 'ideas'.

'Thumbs up' for spirituality.

rc

Moves
20 Apr 12
1 edit

Please note that Doug Walton has argued that ad hominem reasoning is not always
fallacious
, and that in some instances, questions of personal conduct, character,
motives, etc., are legitimate and relevant to the issue, as when it directly involves
hypocrisy, or actions contradicting the subject's words.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Moves
20 Apr 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Please note that Doug Walton has argued that ad hominem reasoning [b]is not always
fallacious
, and that in some instances, questions of personal conduct, character,
motives, etc., are legitimate and relevant to the issue, as when it directly involves
hypocrisy, or actions contradicting the subject's words.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem[/b]
I guess your rant at me must be okay then.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.