1. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 20:46
    One of these days I am going to buy a pack of cigarettes just to see what I have been missing out on all these decades. 😛

The Rolling Stones and the Beatles were often photographed with cigarette in hand or in mouth, which probably contributed to the cool factor. In the 1970s a number of kids smoked just outside the chain-link-fence perimeter of our high school. Some were quite popular kids, while some others among them were wannabes who probably imagined they were (or should have been) popular.

Adults were permitted to smoke outdoors on public school campuses back then. To this day I associate cigar and pipe smoke with high school football games, where fans in the stands would light up as the spirit moved them. Cigarettes could be advertised on radio and TV in the USA up until maybe sometime in the 1970s or 1980s. I recall the catchy jingle that went, "Happiness is the taste of Kent."

If you smoke, at what age did you start? Do you have brand loyalty? Do you ever roll your own to save money? Did you smoke in the school lavatory? Have you tried to quit?
  2. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 22:11

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 05:27
    I never felt the need, thank goodness.

But my parents didn't smoke either, so it never seemed a natural thing to do.

This made it relatively easy to avoid the peer pressure in high school, too.

I was lucky, I didn't need an intimate exposure to it to make it seem disgusting to me, it already was.
  4. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 05:371 edit
    Father smoked, mother didn't (respectable women didn't in those days). I took it up at 17 to try to break the nailbiting habit, dropped it within a few weeks because I didn't have a wellpaid job and nailbiting was cheaper. I wouldn't call myself an ex-smoker, it was just an experiment, never got to enjoy it or become addicted. First husband was a smoker, I've avoided them ever since. Easy now in Australia, smoking has become the "low-class" thing to do, and nobody wants to admit being one of THOSE, do they?
  5. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 12:331 edit
    I smoke Belmont Milds which is the ubiquitous Toronto brand. Started at 19. Ironically, it was probably the last drug I tried after years of experimenting with more illicit ones. Still smoke to this day 15 years later. I've tried to quit many times but have never succeeded, likely because I've never really wanted to quit.
  6. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 13:01
    Originally posted by Zamboner
    I smoke Belmont Milds which is the ubiquitous Toronto brand. Started at 19. Ironically, it was probably the last drug I tried after years of experimenting with more illicit ones. Still smoke to this day 15 years later. I've tried to quit many times but have never succeeded, likely because I've never really wanted to quit.
    Your last comment is the clue. YOU have to want to quit. No amount of pressure from without will do it. I smoked for 25 years. I quit 2 times (both times for 2 years) and went back for reasons of stress. I remember saying that when the cost of a pack went to $0.75 I'd quit. Then it was when it hits $1.00/pack....nope, the price didn't matter (when I started smoking they were $0.27/pack). When I did finally quit I remember telling my family and friends that this is my last pack and then this is my last smoke and finally this is the last puff and I was done. That was 26 years ago. It's very, very hard to give up but once you really want to it was quite easy. I put on a few pounds (10) that I haven't been able to shred but I sure feel a lot better. I was the kind of smoker who had a cigarette lit before my feet hit the floor in the morning. Good luck to all who still smoke just remember YOU have to be the one who WANTS to quit.
  7. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 13:55
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Good luck to all who still smoke just remember YOU have to be the one who WANTS to quit.
    And if you want a reason, here's a good one:

I don't need this anymore.
  8. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 14:08
    Agree with you both. The main impetus for me attempting to quit over the years has been to save money and because it is unhealthy but I have always enjoyed it too much to make it stick.
  9. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 15:36
    Originally posted by Zamboner
    Agree with you both. The main impetus for me attempting to quit over the years has been to save money and because it is unhealthy but I have always enjoyed it too much to make it stick.
    The day will come.

Mine didn't turn up until I was 48.

Hope yours comes sooner.
  10. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 16:03
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    The day will come.

Mine didn't turn up until I was 48.

Hope yours comes sooner.
    Money or economy isn't good enough a reason, I think. I started smoking when I was 14 and stopped at 49. All it takes is a conviction to say "no more" - your health should be that reason.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 16:422 edits
    My dad smoked 4 packs a day for decades, quit cold turkey at age 60. I never started and am glad of that. The reason I never started was due to a biology class in HS.

They had this demo of a freshly killed cow lung from some meat processing plant. When the demo started, the lung looked very pink and healthy. They hooked it up to a cigarette smoking machine, had it tied in to the tubes with strings.

They then put a single cigarette on a clamped tube and lit it and it drew air in through the cigarette into the lung. When the cigarette was burned out, the lung had turned this awful shade of black with black stuff dripping out. That made a life long anti smoker out of me instantly.

They should show that demo to every HS class IMHO.
  12. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 18:02

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Joined
    06 Feb '13
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 18:09
    Smoking's disgusting and it is selfish to all the nearby people. Wouldn't marry a smoker. NEVER
  14. In your face
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 21:222 edits
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II

If you smoke, at what age did you start? Do you have brand loyalty? Do you ever roll your own to save money? Did you smoke in the school lavatory? Have you tried to quit?
    I started smoking cannabis before cigarettes surprisingly, when I was 16. At 18 I started smoking the odd 'social cigarette' in pubs and was soon hooked. I gave up smoking when I was 30 (I'm now 36) and have never looked back. Oh yes and most of my smoking years I smoked rolling tobacco as it cost me £5 for a pouch of Golden Virginia, which lasted me all week.
    I still miss having a cigarette now and then; with a pint, with a brew or waiting for a bus/train on a wet day, all still give me the urge to roll one up.
  15. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 21:27
    Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
    I started smoking cannabis before cigarettes surprisingly, when I was 16. At 18 I started smoking the odd 'social cigarette' in pubs and was soon hooked. I gave up smoking when I was 30 (I'm now 36) and have never looked back. Oh yes and most of my smoking years I smoked rolling tobacco as it cost me £5 for a pouch of Golden Virginia, which lasted m ...[text shortened]... th a brew or waiting for a bus/train on a wet day, all still give me the urge to roll one up.
    Hoooraaaay it's smoked sausage.

All we need now is smokey bacon.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree