1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Feb '14 11:23
    Wondered what people thought of them, last a long time? How long to get used to them? Do they help people with backache? What is your experience with those things?
  2. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    19 Feb '14 14:53
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Wondered what people thought of them, last a long time? How long to get used to them? Do they help people with backache? What is your experience with those things?
    I have experience with memory foam pillows and the're great. I can't sleep (or sleep badly) with regular pillows and the memory foam are great.

As for duration: I have mine for a few months now (4 or 5 months) and they're just like on their first day.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Feb '14 15:02
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    I have experience with memory foam pillows and the're great. I can't sleep (or sleep badly) with regular pillows and the memory foam are great.

As for duration: I have mine for a few months now (4 or 5 months) and they're just like on their first day.
    Maybe it's time to consider a memory foam mattress now. We looked into them like 5 years ago and they were around US $600 for california king which is the size of our bed but we just got one with a top comforter cover, both for $130 or so. I was surprised they are selling that cheaply now.

Time will tell as to the quality though. My wife is in hospital and has not had a chance to try it yet but I tried it but my sleep was interrupted, was very tired coming home from work and went to bed as soon as I got home and slept like a log for about 5 hours then saw the foam was fully extended.

(it came in a box that was only a couple of feet across, it was totally squashed, doubled over and run into a cylinder about 18 inches by 24ish inches, like REALLY squashed, it took a couple of days for it to recover its full size, so put it on the bed after that 5 hour sleep, so maybe that was not a good test, will know better tomorrow and over the weekend)
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Feb '14 18:08
    Maybe it's time to consider a memory foam mattress now. We looked into them like 5 years ago and they were around US $600 for california king which is the size of our bed but we just got one with a top comforter cover, both for $130 or so. I was surprised they are selling that cheaply now.

Time will tell as to the quality though. My wife is in hospital ...[text shortened]... 5 hour sleep, so maybe that was not a good test, will know better tomorrow and over the weekend)
    It sounds like you are talking about a "topper" that goes on top of the existing mattress.

Even if not...

We have a "topper" about 2" thick on the bed in our guest bedroom. Our infrequent guests like it a lot. We haven't slept on it. It may require getting a deeper fitted bottom sheet if you use fitted ones.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Feb '14 19:29
    If you're one of these people that "sleep hot" (I have a fan running in my bedroom while I sleep all through the year, even in winter), then an entire memory foam mattress is a horrible idea. Pillow, yeah, even a "mattress topper", yeah I can see these things, but with a memory foam mattress, I sweat like a pig on them, you wake up feeling like you peed the bed. Then if the cats all snuggie around you at night, then it's like sleeping in a sauna. I find them uncomfortable in the extreme because of this. If you're always cold in bed, though, it might make more sense for you.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Feb '14 19:52
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    If you're one of these people that "sleep hot" (I have a fan running in my bedroom while I sleep all through the year, even in winter), then an entire memory foam mattress is a horrible idea. Pillow, yeah, even a "mattress topper", yeah I can see these things, but with a memory foam mattress, I sweat like a pig on them, you wake up feeling like you peed th ...[text shortened]... xtreme because of this. If you're always cold in bed, though, it might make more sense for you.
    Always thought you would be hot in bed Suzianne! 😲
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Feb '14 21:40
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Always thought you would be hot in bed Suzianne! 😲
    Very funny... 30 secs after I posted that I was wondering how long it would take... hehe.
  8. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    20 Feb '14 01:04
    My memory foam doesn't remember anything. It's a rip off.
  9. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    20 Feb '14 07:03

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Feb '14 21:311 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    It sounds like you are talking about a "topper" that goes on top of the existing mattress.

Even if not...

We have a "topper" about 2" thick on the bed in our guest bedroom. Our infrequent guests like it a lot. We haven't slept on it. It may require getting a deeper fitted bottom sheet if you use fitted ones.
    Yes, it is a topper, 4 inch in our case. I had to stay close to work last night due to ice on the roads by our house so I have not had a full night sleep to check it out. I am in fact one who gets cold at night, I like lots of blankets and it did come with a thick comforter I guess that helps with the hots.
    My wife is the opposite of me, likes the window open in winter and overhead fan running full blast. I hope she still likes it. I would hate to have to throw it away after spending 140 bucks, even if that is a lot cheaper than a whole mem mattress.

We got it mainly because she has bad back problems. I am lucky in the health department, I can sleep on an ice rink floor🙂
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Feb '14 23:551 edit
    Yes, it is a topper, 4 inch in our case. I had to stay close to work last night due to ice on the roads by our house so I have not had a full night sleep to check it out. I am in fact one who gets cold at night, I like lots of blankets and it did come with a thick comforter I guess that helps with the hots.
    My wife is the opposite of me, likes the window o ...[text shortened]... e has bad back problems. I am lucky in the health department, I can sleep on an ice rink floor🙂
    I suspect she'll like the mattress pad better than a whole memory foam mattress. The pads are still a little warm, but they are comfy.

Edit: 4" is not bad for $140. The Costco near me has a 3" one for $130, so I think you did okay.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree