1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Sep '21 14:18
    @shallow-blue said
    Never ate a single sandwich in those years?
    I know a lady that lived of quorn for 20 years or so...she fainted at work ended up in hospital and now has to have a b12(i think) every 3 months she now eats meat but cant absorb the b12 properly.
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    14 Sep '21 14:26
    @badradger said
    I know a lady that lived of quorn for 20 years or so...she fainted at work ended up in hospital and now has to have a b12(i think) every 3 months she now eats meat but cant absorb the b12 properly.
    I was taking the needle form of b12 every month, now it is every other month. I was told many people have issues not getting enough b12.

-VR
  3. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    14 Sep '21 15:09
    @badradger said
    I tried being vegan until I discovered this was one of the deficiencies associated with it. Lots of vegans buy Nutritious Yeast Flakes sprinkled onto meals or soups.
  4. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    14 Sep '21 15:10
    @shallow-blue said
    Because they're neither flesh nor fish.
    Explain yourself fancy-pants.
  5. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    14 Sep '21 16:18
    @badradger said
    🤔😲 They play bingo in hospitals over there? I suppose it’s to keep people’s minds off why they are there in the first place.👍
  6. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    14 Sep '21 16:18
    @drewnogal said
    How do you know he wears fancy pants?🤔😲
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 Sep '21 17:40
    @drewnogal said
    I'm just wearing pantalons de Nîmes, madam. Nothing fancy about them.

But since you ask:

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/neither+fish+nor+flesh
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 Sep '21 17:44
    @drewnogal said
    I tried being vegan until I discovered this was one of the deficiencies associated with it. Lots of vegans buy Nutritious Yeast Flakes sprinkled onto meals or soups.
    Quite a lot of vegans get their B12 from sources that are either au fond not actually vegan, or if they are, quite a bit more damaging to the environment than if they were. Humans aren't built for veganism.

Mostly vegetarianism is doable. Complete vegetarianism is hard, unless you're lucky enough to have a hardy constitution and live in a rich country (or live in a poor country and expect to die at 35 whether or not you eat meat, poor sod). Veganism? No. We didn't evolve for that.
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 Sep '21 17:52
    @very-rusty said
    Yes, but there would be meat in it.

Does that cut me out?
    That means you're an omnivore. You ate bread, ergo, plant material, ergo, you are not a carnivore. Omnivores eat animals and plants. As is proper for a primate like a human.

Proportions may vary. Some humans eat a lot of animal-based foor and only a little plant-based food. Some eat a lot of veggies and an egg or a bit of cheese now and then. But eating only plants, no animal-derived food at all, is nearly impossible for humans, and staying healthy while doing so completely impossible; while eating only animal-based food will kill you soon enough.

And yes, I know about the Inuit. They cheat: they eat the stomach contents of herbivores they catch. Or used to, historically. Now they just eat their veggies. And yes, I know about people who claim that their cats are vegan. Those cats live a long, healthy five years with only the diarrhɶa to show for it. Any cat lover may now recoil in horror; even I, who hate cats, hate vegan cat owners more.
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    14 Sep '21 19:51
    @shallow-blue said
    That means you're an omnivore. You ate bread, ergo, plant material, ergo, you are not a carnivore. Omnivores eat animals and plants. As is proper for a primate like a human.

Proportions may vary. Some humans eat a lot of animal-based foor and only a little plant-based food. Some eat a lot of veggies and an egg or a bit of cheese now and then. But eating [i]only ...[text shortened]... w for it. Any cat lover may now recoil in horror; even I, who hate cats, hate vegan cat owners more.
    Well I eat both so I guess that would make me both according to your reasoning.

-VR
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 Sep '21 20:43
    @very-rusty said
    Well I eat both so I guess that would make me both according to your reasoning.
    No, that's just my point. Eating both makes you an omnivore - no more a carnivore nor a vegan a.k.a. ruminant.
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    14 Sep '21 20:45
    @shallow-blue said
    No, that's just my point. Eating both makes you an omnivore - no more a carnivore nor a vegan a.k.a. ruminant.
    OK, I'll eat anything I am still allowed to eat.....LOL....

-VR
  13. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    14 Sep '21 21:49
    @drewnogal said
    Have a lovely day Badger.

Now WHY were the Pescatarians excluded from the list?
    Pescatarians, breate-airins etc.
    Special diet
  14. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    14 Sep '21 21:511 edit
    @shallow-blue said
    Are dogs omnivorous?
    Pretty sure cats are carnivores, but will snack on greens.
  15. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    14 Sep '21 22:58
    @shallow-blue said
    Quite a lot of vegans get their B12 from sources that are either au fond not actually vegan, or if they are, quite a bit more damaging to the environment than if they were. Humans aren't built for veganism.

Mostly vegetarianism is doable. Complete vegetarianism is hard, unless you're lucky enough to have a hardy constitution and live in a rich country ( ...[text shortened]... expect to die at 35 whether or not you eat meat, poor sod). Veganism? No. We didn't evolve for that.
    I agree, I tried it because of familial high cholesterol and a need to stop my Statin medication which gave me side effects. Being vegan made me very skinny and I then read about possible deficiencies in certain amino acids and Omega 3. I now eat oily fish and dairy produce of the lower saturated fat type and avoid foods which contain artificial trans fats or are high in sugar. I’m hoping this will help?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree