1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10 Feb '17 02:25
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-south-asia-38909512

This is a story about a success story in India but the BBC managed to turn it into a sad story.

They say at the beginning the inidian one horned rhino was almost exstint until the park was formed and dramatically increased numbers.

At the price rhino horn is being sold for a simple capture and trail is not enough of a deterrent to prevent potential poaching. Look at Australia and shark fin, they catch poachers, fine then and give them a few months in jail... they get out and do it again because the price they get from the sharks is a lot higher than the fine.

The BBC write that 22 people were killed in 2015 while ONLY 17 rhinos were poached. Only? Kill 100 poaching scumbags if it prevents one rhino being killed.

I've been to this park, in 2010... I took a jeep around one area of the park. The guard brought a gun with him, at the time I thought it was to protect myself from the rhinos if one attacked now I know it was to protect the rhinos from me 😵

Wonderful place though, everyone should go. Another area of the park I took an elephant around sunset and saw a baby rhino who was just a few days old. Beautiful experience.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Feb '17 18:42
    Originally posted by Trev33
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-south-asia-38909512

This is a story about a success story in India but the BBC managed to turn it into a sad story.

They say at the beginning the inidian one horned rhino was almost exstint until the park was formed and dramatically increased numbers.

At the price rhino horn is being sold for a simple capture and trail ...[text shortened]... n elephant around sunset and saw a baby rhino who was just a few days old. Beautiful experience.
    Great experience for sure. Like you said, kill the scumsucking poachers, give them a real message, killl a Rhino, we kill you.

I saw some elephants in Thailand, up country, one, I was walking down this old forest road, mainly looking at the ground and an elephant was walking down the same road right towards me. We were both startled it was clear. He slowly backed up and I slowly backed up....

Another elephant there, they used tame elephants in their Teak logging but at 3 PM the elephants say, see you later, like tomorrow🙂 and start wandering around on their own. That was how I managed to almost stumble on one. But a few minutes later, I was looking up this steep cliff, and there was an elephant scratching his side on a tree that looked no more than 4 cm in diameter, more of a sprout than a tree but it was holding his entire weight, sort of. The tree was bending quite a bit and I was wondering if there would be a broken tree and an elephant tumbling down the steep hill. He stopped short of breaking the tree and we sighed a sigh of relief we were not going to se a dead elephant, don't think it would have survive a 50 meter fall down a steep hill, like 60 degrees up steep hill. Definitely more than a 45 degree slope.
  3. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 03:41
    Did you read about the guy who was killed by an elephant recently in Thailand? They really don't treat the animals well there... this was an older elephant who apparently was in his mating prime so a bit more aggressive than usual. Flipped out when they stopped to take photos and the guy who was riding it was flown off it's back and stamped to death.

That's one of the things I like a lot more about India over Thailand, inside the parks they're generally well treated in India. In Thailand they don't seem to care, they have a t.v. channel which continually shows cock and bull fights, says it all about the culture towards animals.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 03:56
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Did you read about the guy who was killed by an elephant recently in Thailand? They really don't treat the animals well there... this was an older elephant who apparently was in his mating prime so a bit more aggressive than usual. Flipped out when they stopped to take photos and the guy who was riding it was flown off it's back and stamped to death.

That ...[text shortened]... nel which continually shows cock and bull fights, says it all about the culture towards animals.
    I saw cock fights there, bloody affairs. Bull fights I never saw. Two bulls in heat actually fighting each other?
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 08:26
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I saw cock fights there, bloody affairs. Bull fights I never saw. Two bulls in heat actually fighting each other?
    The cock fights here for what I've seen aren't as bloody as the ones in Peru. the tied ravors to the legs so often both birds end up dying. Her the flights last a lot longer though...

In heat? I have no idea but they actually go after each other. I just saw it on t.v., don't mind watching chickens fight in person a couple if times in ny lufe but not sure I'd like to see a couple of bulls so after each other.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree