1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Apr '21 05:47
    May 2013 I was flying from Moscow to Novosibirsk in Siberia. It was a particularly clear sky at 37,000 feet and out of my seat window I captured a stunning vista of the moon above the horizon.

Here’s the contentious thing; I could make out the curvature of the earth! I got the photo with the horizon dead centre of the optical axis and when drawing a line from edge to edge the horizon is on fact visible curved on the photo.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Apr '21 06:06
    @divegeester
    Best things you’ve seen

The harbour at Kristiansand, Norway, after a 37 hour crossing from Harwich on the roughest seas I've ever seen.
  3. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    04 Apr '21 07:36
    Jerzy Dudek saving a penalty in the Ataturk Stadium in Istanbul May 2005.

(Bonus Trivia: It didn't happen on the date shown in the record books, extra time took the match beyond midnight in Istanbul.)
  4. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    04 Apr '21 08:131 edit
    Climbing a mountain in the Philippines. Up thru the river and waterfalls to the deep swimming pond at the top. And exploring the Japanese caves there near Mt. Pinatubo. Jumping/skydiving on a sunset load over Space Center Fl. w/a cold beer in my jumpsuit. Jumping with the space shuttle taking off.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Apr '21 09:081 edit
    The Border Hotel in Kirk Yetholm in Scotland after an unavoidable 45 km trek across the Cheviot Hills from Byrness in England, seen as being the end of the 430 km Pennine Way path whose southern end is in Edale, Derbyshire, about 14 days of walking away. It was long enough ago - 39 years - for the owner of the Border Hotel [a sight for sore eyes and sore feet] to be still giving walkers who'd just completed the "PW" a free pint of beer. I don't know if that philanthropic tradition continues. I completed it 41 years ago as well but was too young to be served alcohol on that occasion!
  6. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    04 Apr '21 09:20
    Yosemite in the winter
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 Apr '21 09:51
    Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany. Taken up to in in a wagon drawn by horses. Breath-taking view.

YouTube
  8. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    04 Apr '21 15:59
    the smile on the face of the child who has just been fed
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Apr '21 19:14
    @rookie54 said
    This is a great post.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Apr '21 19:23
    @rookie54 said
    Could you describe this particular experience you have had?
  11. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    05 Apr '21 01:35
    @divegeester said
    Could you describe this particular experience you have had?
    once it was a great-niece, prolly 3, i gave her permission to eat chocolate cake with her fingers

several hundred times it was kids at the community center, in line with their plates and sporks

once it was a daughter, the first time we allowed her to eat spaghetti by herself

no, that time it was me grinning
  12. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    05 Apr '21 03:15
    This. It’s my dad, 25 years after his initial diagnosis of Parkinson’s Disease, shooting a solid gold grouping.

YouTube
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Apr '21 03:37
    @rookie54 said
    This has a distinct whiff of schmaltz signalling about it. Hope I'm wrong.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Apr '21 04:382 edits
    @fmf said
    This has a distinct whiff of schmaltz signalling about it. Hope I'm wrong.
    Here's a schmaltzy one:

My wife was very ill in the run-up to giving birth to our first child. She spent a month in hospital while planned induced premature-birth deliveries were postponed every couple of days as her condition stabilized.

She finally gave birth after the full nine months. Henry was born by caesarean section and I was waiting very nervously in the corridor ~ as Japanese hospital rules would have it.

I had rather freaked myself out by isolating myself from the other humans in that corridor [mostly hospital supplies salesmen] having made an odd decision to listen to tumultuous ominous abstract trombone jazz music from Sweden very loud in my earphones for an hour.

So I was fragile, to say the least, as the double door swung open and tiny Henry in an incubator on wheels was whisked past me on his way to the ICU.

Like so many newborn babies, he looked like Winston Churchill, but, despite that, his little face, at that moment, was one of the best things I'd ever seen.
  15. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    05 Apr '21 12:01
    @fmf said
    Here's a schmaltzy one:

My wife was very ill in the run-up to giving birth to our first child. She spent a month in hospital while planned induced premature-birth deliveries were postponed every couple of days as her condition stabilized.

She finally gave birth after the full nine months. Henry was born by caesarean section and I was waiting very nervously in the corridor ...[text shortened]... chill, but, despite that, his little face, at that moment, was one of the best things I'd ever seen.
    Like you, though not as harrowing by any stretch of the imagination, the birth of my children. 😍

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree