1. Joined
    17 Apr '03
    Moves
    03 Jan '17 18:05
    Just had the misfortune to play this guy, after annihilating him the old fashioned honest way he spent the next 20 moves checking me with no hope of mating but just to prevent me winning.
    Some of the lesser honourable players might say this is part of the game, me if I'm beat I accept it.
    So you've been warned of you play him
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    03 Jan '17 18:161 edit
    Originally posted by mr frosty
    Just had the misfortune to play this guy, after annihilating him the old fashioned honest way he spent the next 20 moves checking me with no hope of mating but just to prevent me winning.
    Some of the lesser honourable players might say this is part of the game, me if I'm beat I accept it.
    The dishonor is all yours.

Perpetual check is a well-known legitimate drawing mechanism in chess. You did not "annihilate" him as you thought, but rather blew the win by failing to protect your own King.

Edit: evidently, you were not aware of the 3-fold repetition rule and failed to claim the draw!
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    03 Jan '17 18:24
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 Jan '17 18:26
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    The dishonor is all yours.

Perpetual check is a well-known legitimate drawing mechanism in chess. You did not "annihilate" him as you thought, but rather blew the win by failing to protect your own King.

Edit: evidently, you were not aware of the 3-fold repetition rule and failed to claim the draw!
    Agreed.
    Had an opportunity to pick up an extra queen with a rook sacrifice but let it go.
    S/he took the next best route with no other play.
  5. Joined
    17 Apr '03
    Moves
    03 Jan '17 18:47
    Dishonourable ? ...when I'm beat I accept it, whether it's a well known way to force a draw or not it's not my way. Good luck to the lad/lass as she/he got the points .
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    03 Jan '17 18:49
    14 years here and you do not understand the game!

Shame on you.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    03 Jan '17 18:50
    Dishonourable ? ...when I'm beat I accept it, whether it's a well known way to force a draw or not it's not my way. Good luck to the lad/lass as she/he got the points .
    If a draw is possible then you are not beat!
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    03 Jan '17 18:58
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    03 Jan '17 18:59
    Your misconception is that you think being "beat" is simply losing a lot of material. Checkmate is the goal of the game. Any "advantage" that fails to produce checkmate is no advantage at all.

Apparently your "way" is illogic and falling to grasp the significance of the rules of the game. 🙄
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    03 Jan '17 19:17
    Have seen GMs play perpetual check. Not to do so would be illogical. (Especially in a game of logic).

I appreciate that when you are on the receiving end of perpetual check it may feel like your opponent is doing something dishonourable, but actually that are just trying to salvage a draw from a potentially lost game. Allowing your opponent the opportunity to put you in perpetual check was, I'm afraid to say, your mistake and it really makes no sense to blame him for that.
  11. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    03 Jan '17 19:21
    I feel your pain. BUT
    This defeat will be of far more benefit to you
    than a win would have been.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    03 Jan '17 20:37
    Wise words from Mr Frosty:

love chess and always try to learn from each game.
    i will not cheat, use books or any type of computer help.
    i will be polite and friendly but if you don`t want to communicate i understand.
    i will claim games unless flag is showing.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '17 02:16
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    14 years here and you do not understand the game!

Shame on you.
    I've only been here 10 or so years but I don't see anything changing in the next 4.
  14. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    04 Jan '17 02:34
    Thanks for the warning. I will NEVER play against you.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Jan '17 13:32
    Chill out mr Frosty. 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree