1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    17 Aug '21 21:13
    @drewnogal said
    There are jokes and there are jokes. I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it Rusty 😉
    Thanks drewnogal, but I never 'lose sleep' over things that happen on here.

Perhaps I just didn't get the JOKE?

-VR
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Aug '21 00:471 edit
    @shallow-blue said
    No... Swiss fondue.
    Well, yeah, but that's just melted cheese, not anywhere near hot enough to actually bake anything in.
  3. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    18 Aug '21 01:541 edit
    My late aunt was big into fondue when it was in style, 1969-73. She made steak fondue, little bits of tenderloin, cheese fondue, you could dip little biscuits or bits of soft pretzels, chocolate fondue we dipped cookies or doughnut holes.
    After that it just sat on top of the refrigerator.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Aug '21 06:52
    @gambrel said
    My late aunt was big into fondue when it was in style, 1969-73. She made steak fondue, little bits of tenderloin, cheese fondue, you could dip little biscuits or bits of soft pretzels, chocolate fondue we dipped cookies or doughnut holes.
    People are still into fondue. I mean it's not as insanely popular as it was back then, but in the right circles, it's still a "thing". I mean, what's not to like about fondue?
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Aug '21 09:48
    Wow, three down thumbs for fondue.

Come on, I didn't think there were that many who hated fondue in the whole world.
  6. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    18 Aug '21 12:03
    @gambrel said
    In about 1968 I took my then girlfriend to an “upscale” restaurant. She ordered beef fondue, saying she’d never had any kind of fondue. I forget why but the waiter brought her all the necessary ingredients but lagged behind on the oil filled pot. She asked how one proceeded. I said you screwed a piece of meat and cook it over the flame. She proceeded to do just that. A moment later the waiter appeared with the pot of oil. My girlfriend looked quizzically at him asking what it was for. He explained. She looked embarrassed and the waiter said, “Oh madame, that happens more often than you’d believe”. He was obviously much more suave than I.
  7. Standard memberVelns
    Latvian Trickster
    Krell lab
    Moves
    28 Aug '21 09:28
    @great-big-stees said
    In about 1968 I took my then girlfriend to an “upscale” restaurant. She ordered beef fondue, saying she’d never had any kind of fondue. I forget why but the waiter brought her all the necessary ingredients but lagged behind on the oil filled pot. She asked how one proceeded. I said you screwed a piece of meat and cook it over the flame. She proceeded to do just that. ...[text shortened]... d, “Oh madame, that happens more often than you’d believe”. He was obviously much more suave than I.
    1968? Gosh those were the days, the days when a fondue was “upscale”.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Sep '21 20:32
    @kevin-eleven said
    Perhaps you should take this time to reflect on the fact that you were handed a forum ban, whereas @Suzianne was not (as far as I know).
    Perhaps we are reflecting on who PAID Russ to ban you?
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    17 Sep '21 21:37
    @suzianne said
    Wow, three down thumbs for fondue.

Come on, I didn't think there were that many who hated fondue in the whole world.
    Who are these fondue haters? Let them reveal themselves and be held accountable. Mind you I get quite a lot of thumbs down these days, and I don't even have to mention fondues....
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Sep '21 23:36
    @indonesia-phil said
    Who are these fondue haters? Let them reveal themselves and be held accountable. Mind you I get quite a lot of thumbs down these days, and I don't even have to mention fondues....
    Three thumbs down just for asking for the fondue haters to reveal themselves.

Or could there be another reason.
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    20 Sep '21 06:39
    @divegeester said
    Three thumbs down just for asking for the fondue haters to reveal themselves.

Or could there be another reason.
    Probably not so much the post as the poster. Perhaps they don't like the fact that you and I have been through fire and brimstone together, have had our disagreements, and yet are firm friends.

Let's see how many that gets....

By the way, just as an additional controversial note; fondue.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Sep '21 04:461 edit
    @indonesia-phil said
    Probably not so much the post as the poster. Perhaps they don't like the fact that you and I have been through fire and brimstone together, have had our disagreements, and yet are firm friends.

Let's see how many that gets....

By the way, just as an additional controversial note; fondue.
    Haha 7 thumbs down for that, nice nice.

Predictions…

Suzianne will be along shortly to berate you for destroying the website and associating with someone who is driving posters away by “evisceration” and character assassination” and of course paying Russ to get my “enemies” banned from the site.

Ghost of a Duck might also be along to vicariously give me the Silent Treatment by offering you a hobnob and calling you “Sir”, but if you trigger him he might threaten you the data protection act. (never heard anything from your lawyer by the way Ghosty).

Redbadger will be along (after a long lie in) looking for few green thumbs by calling me a nasty name and subsequently proclaiming himself the “winner” of something in his mind and of being a “dive destroyer”.

Very Rusty will undoubtedly be along … with some window-licking jejune banalities, a sprinkling of laugh emojies, a few “LOL”s, lots tears of bitterness, regret and hate for leaving Metallica, and for some reason will sign all his vacuous cringeworthy posts with his initials.

Woofpoof might make an appearance, post something randomly oblique and unrelated but hinting at an insult in my direction, get 6 thumbs up and a couple of people replying and pretending they “get it”.

PS Thanks for your stoicism and rl friendship.
  13. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    21 Sep '21 08:261 edit
    @divegeester said
    Haha 7 thumbs down for that, nice nice.

Predictions…

Suzianne will be along shortly to berate you for destroying the website and associating with someone who is driving posters away by “evisceration” and character assassination” and of course paying Russ to get my “enemies” banned from the site.

Ghost of a Duck might also be along to vicariously give me the Sile ...[text shortened]... people replying and pretending they “get it”.

PS Thanks for your stoicism and rl friendship.
    And rusty will start wringing his hands over how concerned he is about Handy and has anyone heard anything.
  14. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    21 Sep '21 09:20
    Ah, but nobody expected me to confess to a deep seated hatred of fondue stemming from an accident in my early childhood whilst attempting to swim in molten cheese. I've dreamt of forming the fondue resistance ever since and now our numbers are growing. You may still feel safe melting cheese in the safety of your home, but are you??
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Sep '21 09:55
    @relentless-red said
    Ah, but nobody expected me to confess to a deep seated hatred of fondue stemming from an accident in my early childhood whilst attempting to swim in molten cheese. I've dreamt of forming the fondue resistance ever since and now our numbers are growing. You may still feel safe melting cheese in the safety of your home, but are you??
    Haha! I confess to actually having a fond memory of fondues and being quite impressed by the concept when I first enjoyed one. I loved this idea of cooking bitesized pieces of meat at your own table in hot oil, although I do wonder if these days the H&S police would permit a bowl of hot cooking oil on a domestic table.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree