1. Joined
    24 Jun '13
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 11:42
    Hello there!

I'm a bloody chess amateur but I want to improve my skills so I'm willing to invest time and money in order to do that. So I came down to two options to invest in:

Either CHESS MENTOR from the chess.com website,
    or a CHESS ENGINE like Shredder or Hiarcs (I am a Mac user).

I already use Stockfish as chess engine and I own a couple of books, so I'm tending to the chess mentor but I haven't done my decision yet.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this to help me decide. Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers!
    DW.
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 14:04
    You could always try playing a few games on the site.
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 14:06
    Originally posted by deltawhiskey
    Hello there!

I'm a bloody chess amateur but I want to improve my skills so I'm willing to invest time and money in order to do that. So I came down to two options to invest in:

Either CHESS MENTOR from the chess.com website,
    or a CHESS ENGINE like Shredder or Hiarcs (I am a Mac user).

I already use Stockfish as chess engine and I own a couple ...[text shortened]... ve to hear your thoughts on this to help me decide. Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers!
    DW.
    Probably a mentor is better for the weak player, for a good player it could be difficult to find a good mentor.
  4. Joined
    24 Jun '13
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 14:42
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Probably a mentor is better for the weak player, for a good player it could be difficult to find a good mentor.
    Thanks for your responses! But I meant the chess mentor learning software which the site offers, not an actual chess player as my mentor 😉 do you know it? it has mostly good reviews
  5. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 14:51
    Originally posted by deltawhiskey
    Thanks for your responses! But I meant the chess mentor learning software which the site offers, not an actual chess player as my mentor 😉 do you know it? it has mostly good reviews
    I'll be your mentor. However, you'll be asked to forsake your current life for a life of servitude and supplication while under my tutelage. A small price to pay for guaranteed results. When I'm done, I'll have the Polgar Sisters down on their knees for you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree