1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    24 Oct '17 08:17
    I thought this only happened in 1 or 2 backward hillbilly states!

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-41727495/why-does-the-us-have-so-many-child-brides
  2. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    24 Oct '17 08:48
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    I thought this only happened in 1 or 2 backward hillbilly states!

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-41727495/why-does-the-us-have-so-many-child-brides
    Shocking. I had no idea that the USA was such a disaster.
    Such a neglect of child protection and human rights.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Oct '17 14:14
    Originally posted by @drewnogal
    Shocking. I had no idea that the USA was such a disaster.
    Such a neglect of child protection and human rights.
    We had a case where one of my son's had kids and the mother left him and took the kids with. So she got a BF who we found out was beating the 3 yo kid. We found bruise marks all over his little body and turned the dude in to child welfare services and they took the kid to a doc who photographed extensive bruise marks all over his body. The conclusion: Not bad enough to pursue. NEXT CASE.

That IS the level of child protection here in the US.
  4. Gothenburg
    Moves
    24 Oct '17 18:47
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    We had a case where one of my son's had kids and the mother left him and took the kids with. So she got a BF who we found out was beating the 3 yo kid. We found bruise marks all over his little body and turned the dude in to child welfare services and they took the kid to a doc who photographed extensive bruise marks all over his body. The conclusion: Not bad enough to pursue. NEXT CASE.

That's really terrible. There are daily reports about abused women and children, both in my country and other places. They are mostly men guilty of these things and men covering up for them. The more I read, the sadder I get. These things are not something new, they have always existed - can they be stopped?
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Oct '17 20:07

Two words: lead pipe.
  6. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    25 Oct '17 05:05

I'm sorry to hear that. It sounds like a paternal grandparent's worst worry. Here the abusive parent would have been charged and possibly sentenced. The child would immediately be placed on the child protection register and the mother given an order not allow the partner into the home or risk having the child removed to a place of safety. However, things do go wrong occasionally and that's when the inadequate staffing and funding of social services gets mentioned.
  7. Gothenburg
    Moves
    25 Oct '17 07:12
    Originally posted by @drewnogal
    I'm sorry to hear that. It sounds like a paternal grandparent's worst worry. Here the abusive parent would have been charged and possibly sentenced. The child would immediately be placed on the child protection register and the mother given an order not allow the partner into the home or risk having the child removed to a place of safety. However, things ...[text shortened]... asionally and that's when the inadequate staffing and funding of social services gets mentioned.
    We too have laws to prevent child brides and cruelty to women and children. Some neighbourhoods are close-knit, traditions strong and there is a belief that culture is superior to the Swedish laws. There are no formal records of men marrying young girls or their ages and no transparency. This is a relatively new social problem and maybe we don't always have the right people to deal with these things. Child abuse is not new and still it happens.
  8. Gothenburg
    Moves
    25 Oct '17 07:16

A nightmare for grandparents, sonhouse. I sincerely hope the boy and his siblings are safe now.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree