1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 May '21 00:53
    What are your strongest memories from childhood, with a little background if you are happy to share?
  2. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    11 May '21 00:59
    @divegeester said
    What are your strongest memories from childhood, with a little background if you are happy to share?
    Why do you ask, and would you be willing to share first?
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 May '21 01:01
    @kevin-eleven said
    Why do you ask, and would you be willing to share first?
    It’s a topic for discussion in the general forum. Nobody has to say anything they don’t want to.
  4. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    11 May '21 01:032 edits
    @divegeester said
    It’s a topic for discussion in the general forum. Nobody has to say anything they don’t want to.
    So you're fishing for private information without offering any yourself.

P.S. -- Your "persona" presents itself with these profile words: "violent delights have violent ends" -- but even though I was also a fan of HBO's Westworld (or at least of its trailers' promises), perhaps some might hesitate to provide deeply personal stories to such a mill.
  5. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    11 May '21 01:25
    @divegeester said
    Nevertheless, I'll share this:

When I was about 4 years old, my Uncle Hans vanished a D-cell battery from his hand and made it appear in the drawer of a nearby chest.

Hans wasn't his real name, but he was a friend of my family and my Godfather. He had a glass eye and drove a Mercedes. One of my first regrets is that I called him an oaf for making me take a nap.
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    11 May '21 07:01
    @divegeester said
    When I did my education as counselor, I was told that if you want to work with early memories and the client can't remember you can ask them to invent an early childhood memory and it would work just fine.

That might be my strangest experience in relation to early childhood memories.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 May '21 07:08
    @kevin-eleven said
    So you're fishing for private information without offering any yourself.

P.S. -- Your "persona" presents itself with these profile words: "violent delights have violent ends" -- but even though I was also a fan of HBO's Westworld (or at least of its trailers' promises), perhaps some might hesitate to provide deeply personal stories to such a mill.
    It’s just an innocent thread about strong childhood memories.

Paranoia can be a mental disorder, you should consider getting help.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 May '21 07:14
    I would say one of my strongest childhood memories was one of a period (but only for a period) of isolation, sadness and loneliness due to absent parents; for differing reasons, accountabilities and outcomes.

Another strong memory was the wonderment at seeing my baby sister for the first time.

And a third would be the joy and freedom of cycling in the countryside with my friend.
  9. Gothenburg
    Moves
    11 May '21 07:152 edits
    @divegeester said

I remember an early occasion when my father picked me up from kindergarten on his bike - I sat behind him - and the bike suddenly stopped because my foot was stuck between the spokes in the wheel. My father was very unhappy about this and bought me a little plastic turtle that could turn its head from side to side, and I think it made me a little happier.
  10. Gothenburg
    Moves
    11 May '21 07:35
    @torunn said
    I remember an early occasion when my father picked me up from kindergarten on his bike - I sat behind him - and the bike suddenly stopped because my foot was stuck between the spokes in the wheel. My father was very unhappy about this and bought me a little plastic turtle that could turn its head from side to side, and I think it made me a little happier.
    This incident has stayed in my memory for 70+ years, not because of the pain but seeing my father so worried is what I recall most.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 May '21 07:58
    @divegeester said
    I remember being stung by a bee for the first time in Mevagissey. It buzzed around my ice cream cone for a bit but then went up the leg of my blue shorts and, seemingly due to the efforts to remove him, he stung me on my thigh.

A little background that I am happy to share:

We had a light blue 1500 cc Simca estate car at that time.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 May '21 08:02
    @divegeester said
    And a third would be the joy and freedom of cycling in the countryside with my friend.
    We'd go to the wooded ditches and embankments where the western wall marking the boundary of Roman Verulamium was and pretend that we were Spitfires and Messerschmitt 109s. My calm and non-judgemental willingness to be the German pilot and plane in these dogfights pre-echoed my opposition to leaving the E.U. in later life.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 May '21 08:13
    @divegeester said
    I had a whole set of very vivid memories of playing in the garden in Crowthorne in Berkshire when I was about three years old.

I was rather disappointed when I was about twelve to realize, having unearthed the projector and 35 mm film from the attic, that I did NOT have vivid memories from the age of three, but instead, I had watched these 35 mm films when I was about six or seven and forgotten that I had.

Even though the memories of playing in the garden in Crowthorne were seen - in my mind's eye - as if from the point of view of a camera pointed at me, it had not caused me to doubt the veracity of those vivid memories until BOOIINNG... the shoe dropped as the twelve-year-old me saw the same scenes, from that same point of view, flickering on the sitting room wall.
  14. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    πŸ€” Bolton
    Moves
    11 May '21 08:17
    @kevin-eleven said
    Nevertheless, I'll share this:

When I was about 4 years old, my Uncle Hans vanished a D-cell battery from his hand and made it appear in the drawer of a nearby chest.

Hans wasn't his real name, but he was a friend of my family and my Godfather. He had a glass eye and drove a Mercedes. One of my first regrets is that I called him an oaf for making me take a nap.
    🀣🀣🀣🚬
  15. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    πŸ€” Bolton
    Moves
    11 May '21 08:19
    @divegeester said

Yeah lay off the Soda for a bitπŸ˜‘

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree