1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jan '21 01:35
    I am a cat person and would probably be willing to distort facts and exaggerate things in stating my support for them over dogs.

But ~ in a spirit of truth and reconciliation ~ I am hereby willing to presume the widespread belief that dogs are more intelligent than cats [in so far as their interactions with human go] is true.

Does anyone have any specific evidence and examples of intelligent behaviour by their cats and dogs that they can bring before this Commission?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '21 08:17
    @fmf said
    I am a cat person and would probably be willing to distort facts and exaggerate things in stating my support for them over dogs.

But ~ in a spirit of truth and reconciliation ~ I am hereby willing to presume the widespread belief that dogs are more intelligent than cats [in so far as their interactions with human go] is true.

Does anyone have any specific evidence and examples of intelligent behaviour by their cats and dogs that they can bring before this Commission?
    I don’t have any “evidence”, all I can provide are links to some spurious alternative facts websites which confirm my strongly held but weakly supported opinion.

Which is that cats are definitely not as intelligent as dogs, however they seem to posses a natural cunning and innate problem solving ability similar to crows and squirrels. Dogs appear to have less cunning but more learning ability.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '21 08:18
    As your innocent post is being thumbed down by those how don’t approve of your presence here, I shall thumb it up.
  4. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    10 Jan '21 08:38
    My wife came home recently and found me playing chess with our cat.
    'I didn't realise she was so intelligent' my wife said.
    'She isn't' I replied. 'I am winning three games to two.'
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jan '21 12:02
    @the-gravedigger said
    My wife came home recently and found me playing chess with our cat.
    'I didn't realise she was so intelligent' my wife said.
    'She isn't' I replied. 'I am winning three games to two.'
    I didn't get this joke until I'd read it for the third time. Then I also got it the fourth and fifth times. So my score is 3-2 as well.
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    10 Jan '21 12:322 edits
    @fmf said
    I didn't get this joke until I'd read it for the third time. Then I also got it the fourth and fifth times. So my score is 3-2 as well.
    That joke has actually been around for a long time. Others have said it in the past.

No doubt in my mind dogs are smarter than cats. You have guard dogs, Police dogs who can sniff out drugs and chase down people when on the loose in the woods. Even dogs who save people's lives. Never heard of a cat doing any of these things.

I suppose a cat could make good company for some one.

-VR
  7. In your face
    Moves
    10 Jan '21 13:57
    @divegeester said
    I don’t have any “evidence”, all I can provide are links to some spurious alternative facts websites which confirm my strongly held but weakly supported opinion.

Which is that cats are definitely not as intelligent as dogs, however they seem to posses a natural cunning and innate problem solving ability similar to crows and squirrels. Dogs appear to have less cunning but more learning ability.
    You could deduce from this, that dogs can be taught but cats already know?

I've always assumed that cats are more intelligent but now I think about it, it's a hard one to shout. It's a bit hard to get them to do those MENSA puzzles.

My main observation of the difference between the two species is that if dogs don't like something they run towards it barking. If cats dont like something they run away in silence. I have however seen a cat chase a dog.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jan '21 14:18
    @very-rusty said
    That joke has actually been around for a long time. Others have said it in the past.
    I first heard in in 1971. I have heard at least 26 others say it. In the past.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    10 Jan '21 15:10
    @fmf said
    I first heard in in 1971. I have heard at least 26 others say it. In the past.
    Wow...That is many, many years ago.

-VR
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Jan '21 15:15
    @very-rusty said

No doubt in my mind dogs are smarter than cats. You have guard dogs, Police dogs who can sniff out drugs and chase down people when on the loose in the woods. Even dogs who save people's lives. Never heard of a cat doing any of these things.

I suppose a cat could make good company for some one.

-VR
    Dogs might be a mans best friend but cats dont tell the police where you hiding the drugs.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Jan '21 15:18
    @divegeester said
    As your innocent post is being thumbed down by those how don’t approve of your presence here, I shall thumb it up.
    I rather say "4 idiots" .
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    10 Jan '21 15:20
    @rajk999 said
    Dogs might be a mans best friend but cats dont tell the police where you hiding the drugs.
    Then don't keep drugs around! Problem solved! 😉

-VR
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    10 Jan '21 15:211 edit
    @rajk999 said
    I rather say "4 idiots" .
    I gave it a thumb up to equal it at 4 and 4 if thumbs mean anything to you.

I wonder if in this case the Poster got thumbed down and not the post?

-VR
  14. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 09:37
    @fmf said

The very Definition of intelligence is a Problem here I think.

In fact cats have cunning and are more or less solitary, so the also distance themseleves from their pet human.

Dogs are well to Train and are herd animals, so they try to please their master (or bring them into Submission, as sometimes observed).
  15. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 11:54
    @sicilian-sausage said
    You could deduce from this, that dogs can be taught but cats already know?

I've always assumed that cats are more intelligent but now I think about it, it's a hard one to shout. It's a bit hard to get them to do those MENSA puzzles.

My main observation of the difference between the two species is that if dogs don't like something they run towards it barking. If cats dont like something they run away in silence. I have however seen a cat chase a dog.
    The cat lives and the dog potentially puts its life at risk barking like an idiot. Cats are smarter, remove all the humans on the planet and cats would do just fine whereas dogs would die of starvation chasing their tail.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree