1. Joined
    18 Jul '18
    Moves
    23 Jul '18 04:053 edits
    Hi,

I have tried a stock HT MTB and a carbon road bike for commuting in the past and have found both not ideal, the problem is I like the geometry of the MTB and the ease of the road bike.So, I have decided to look at getting or building a specific commuter bike, but am stumped as to what type of frame to base it on, has anyone built a commuter bike successfully on an MTB which didn't weigh a ton etc. My commute is urban and only about 10 miles each way.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Jul '18 05:43
    Originally posted by @johntimber
    Hi,

I have tried a stock HT MTB and a carbon road bike for commuting in the past and have found both not ideal, the problem is I like the geometry of the MTB and the ease of the road bike.So, I have decided to look at getting or building a specific commuter bike, but am stumped as to what type of frame to base it on, has anyone built a commuter bike s ...[text shortened]... ly on an MTB which didn't weigh a ton etc. My commute is urban and only about 10 miles each way.
    You joined a chess site for advice on bikes? πŸ™„
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jul '18 06:281 edit
    Hi,

I have tried a stock HT MTB and a carbon road bike for commuting in the past and have found both not ideal, the problem is I like the geometry of the MTB and the ease of the road bike.So, I have decided to look at getting or building a specific commuter bike, but am stumped as to what type of frame to base it on, has anyone built a commuter bike s ...[text shortened]... ly on an MTB which didn't weigh a ton etc. My commute is urban and only about 10 miles each way.
    Have you tried Halfords in Rochdale? There is a guy in the bicycle section who has one of those I believe.
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    23 Jul '18 08:37
    Hi,

I ride my ATB as commuting bike and it works fine with me. The 10 miles are not really a good measure if we don't know about the roads or trails you want to travel.
  5. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    23 Jul '18 12:21
    Hi,

i have done this...
    the plans are for sale on my website, and i charge for advice,

you'll receive a bill shortly...
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Jul '18 13:27
    Originally posted by @rookie54
    i have done this...
    the plans are for sale on my website, and i charge for advice,

you'll receive a bill shortly...
    I think you stole his thunder.
  7. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    23 Jul '18 13:35
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    I think you stole his thunder.
    i sir, am many thingies...
    as a thief, i prolly only rate a 6.5, maybe a 7 if i don't giggle as i make my getaway...
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Jul '18 15:07
    i sir, am many thingies...
    as a thief, i prolly only rate a 6.5, maybe a 7 if i don't giggle as i make my getaway...
    Rookie makes his getaway,
    does so on a tractor,
    although he does it with panache,
    slowness is a factor.
  9. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    23 Jul '18 15:20
    Originally posted by @ponderable
    I ride my ATB as commuting bike and it works fine with me. The 10 miles are not really a good measure if we don't know about the roads or trails you want to travel.
    ATB?
    miles?
  10. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    23 Jul '18 17:22
    Originally posted by @biffo-konker
    ATB?
    miles?
    Adventure tour bike
    I commute only about 7.5 Kilometers per way on asphalt with only minor inclinations
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Jul '18 21:22
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    You joined a chess site for advice on bikes? πŸ™„
    That's as bad as me asking for advice on my swimming pool, so much good THAT did meπŸ™‚
  12. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    23 Jul '18 22:29
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    That's as bad as me asking for advice on my swimming pool, so much good THAT did meπŸ™‚
    when johntimber showed up, he had a purpose...
    a single purpose...

i have yet to figure out your purpose...
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Jul '18 23:501 edit
    when johntimber showed up, he had a purpose...
    a single purpose...

i have yet to figure out your purpose...
    My purpose was to get my pool clear again. I did everything suggested by my pool guy like putting filter in recirculate and just dumping antifungal and shock but that didn't work. So more anti and shock to be added tomorrow. You said you couldn't help me even though you claim to be a certified pool dude. You wouldn't answer my question if sand had to be replaced every year. My pool dude says yes. Just wanted second opinion but now it looks like I need to empty the dam pool and start over, not sure. If the second round of anti fungal and shock doesn't do it not sure what else to do.

I guess it is stupid to actually ask questions here since for the most part it brings out the trolls.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    24 Jul '18 00:05
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    At least you have been a member for years.
    He just joins and the first thing he does is ask a bike question.
    (Zero moves played at the time)
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    27 Jul '18 16:34
    Rivendell. They build you anything to your spec.

https://www.rivbike.com

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree