1. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 23:33
    Once a year i do a reinstall of windows. I save anything i want to save on an external, format my hard disk, and reinstall.

I had windows 8.1 on my PC and upgraded to windows 10 when it came out. If i want to reinstall this time, do i install windows 8.1 first, or make a disc of windows 10 from their website? I'm just wondering whether i need a COA, or if my windows 8 one will work now or what's the deal?

Thanks in advance for any help given.
  2. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    23 Apr '16 02:38
    Don't worry, i did it while this sat unanswered. Apparently your COA doesn't change to 10 during the upgrade. Kinda guessed it.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Apr '16 10:07
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    Don't worry, i did it while this sat unanswered. Apparently your COA doesn't change to 10 during the upgrade. Kinda guessed it.
    What is COA? Change of address?
  4. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    23 Apr '16 12:38
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What is COA? Change of address?
    Confirmation of Authenticity.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Apr '16 13:19
    Confirmation of Authenticity.
    Oh yeah, that bit. Kind of sucks, eh.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Apr '16 08:44
    Be advised that W10 mandates mandatory updates. (W8 did not.)
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Apr '16 14:01
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Getting more obtrusive year by year. Pretty soon we will be required to submit a DNA sample to get an update to prove COA.
  8. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    26 Apr '16 06:24
    I haven't upgraded to 10 since the reinstall. I think i'll leave it as for a while.
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    26 Apr '16 09:28
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Getting more obtrusive year by year. Pretty soon we will be required to submit a DNA sample to get an update to prove COA.
    Pretty soon newborns will be fitted with a cranial chip and IPv6 address for life: it will replace the social security number, Obama-care number, tax number, and bank account number, all in one swell foop. "Improved means to an unimproved end," as Thoreau once said.
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    26 Apr '16 09:30
    I haven't upgraded to 10 since the reinstall. I think i'll leave it as for a while.
    Be advised that the MS-Office package marketed as "Office 365" is subscription-based software. What this means in practice is that you never own it; you have to pay rent, forever (or as long as you wish to continue using it).
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Apr '16 09:36
    Be advised that the MS-Office package marketed as "Office 365" is subscription-based software. What this means in practice is that you never own it; you have to pay rent, forever (or as long as you wish to continue using it).
    Get a Linux distribution for FREE!, Install Oracle virtual box for FREE!! and you can run multiple operating systems on the one machine (providing you have sufficient Ram and memory on the HDD)
  12. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    26 Apr '16 14:131 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Get a Linux distribution for FREE!, Install Oracle virtual box for FREE!! and you can run multiple operating systems on the one machine (providing you have sufficient Ram and memory on the HDD)
    I Was thinking of installing a virtual box for installing XP, so i could play old PC games that no longer work on windows 8. Think i need to buy a new hard drive first though.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Apr '16 15:51
    I Was thinking of installing a virtual box for installing XP, so i could play old PC games that no longer work on windows 8. Think i need to buy a new hard drive first though.
    Nah it creates a virtual hard drive, you simply assign it some portion of your physical hard drive and it uses it. Try it, its easy peasy.

YouTube
  14. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    27 Apr '16 00:14
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Nah it creates a virtual hard drive, you simply assign it some portion of your physical hard drive and it uses it. Try it, its easy peasy.

[youtube]J4R2mDlIEKo[/youtube]
    I know, but i only have a 300 GBer.
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    27 Apr '16 08:51
    I know, but i only have a 300 GBer.
    You do realize that that is orders of magnitude larger and faster than the mainframes which guided the Apollo moonshots ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree