1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '19 16:402 edits
    Posting here because P&P forum is too quiet.

Received this yesterday from a friend:

“I've just finished working a NY Times Sunday crossword (couple of weeks old), and although I completed the puzzle, I can't figure out the "inside joke" it contains. The title of the puzzle is "Breaking News" and the answers to the 8 starred clues were: hollywood ending, eye opener, arctic front, ring leader, jump start, stole third, rehab center, any second. The inside joke clue (117 across) was "Things used for dumping... or a literal hint to the answers to the starred clues?" and this answer turned out to be "dear john letters". I cannot see the connection. Can you 'splain it?”

I had no idea, so slept on it and got it straightaway when I looked again.
  2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    14 Jan '19 18:05
    @js357 said
    Posting here because P&P forum is too quiet.

Received this yesterday from a friend:

“I've just finished working a NY Times Sunday crossword (couple of weeks old), and although I completed the puzzle, I can't figure out the "inside joke" it contains. The title of the puzzle is "Breaking News" and the answers to the 8 starred clues were: hollywood ending, eye opener, arcti ...[text shortened]... Can you 'splain it?”

I had no idea, so slept on it and got it straightaway when I looked again.
    Reveal Hidden Content
    The eight starred clues spell out D-E-A-R-J-O-H-N (e.g., Hollywood ending = D; Eye opener = E; and so forth...).
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '19 18:36
    @HandyAndy

Correct.
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    14 Jan '19 19:05
    @js357 said

Correct.
    It was the Sunday puzzle of January 6.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '19 21:54

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '19 22:001 edit
    @HandyAndy

HandyAndy
    This was my first thought but..

Reveal Hidden Content
    hollywood ending, D, I eye opener, E, arctic front, A, ring leader, R, jump start, J, stole third, O, rehab center, H, any second. N. The letters do not come from the same place in each word.
  7. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    14 Jan '19 22:451 edit
    @divegeester said
    @HandyAndy

HandyAndy
    This was my first thought but..

[hidden][/hidden]
    Reveal Hidden Content
    They need not come from the same place in each word. Hollywood ending refers to the last letter of Hollywood (d), eye opener refers to the first letter of eye, etc. The others all have similar location clues. Capiche?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '19 23:57
    @handyandy said
    Capiche?
    Yep!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree