1. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 02:03
    @caissad4 said
    My father was in the European Theater in WWII and had a very low opinion of Montgomery. Mostly flash and a big ego.
    Operation Market Garden was Monty trying to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Ike, Bradley and Patton would've been better off employing DeGaulle. 😁
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 07:31
    @wolfe63 said
    Operation Market Garden was Monty trying to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
    It wasn't his plan though was it?
    Although I admit he advocated it.

And Operation Market Garden was not a complete failure.

That said I'd agree that Monty was over-rated.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 09:07
    @handyandy said
    It was understood as an Allied operation to rescue Western Europe.
    Indeed. My parody-partisan "strict 2-out-of-5 and 3-out-of-5 split" thing regarding leadership was actually intended as a bit of self-deprecating irony.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 09:18
    @wolfe63 said
    Despite its built-in flaws and failure to heed intelligence reports, it might well have succeeded if it were not for Gavin's ultracautious inaction at Nijmegen. For 50 years his reputation was probably saved by the need for historians to sell books in the U.S.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 09:23
    @wolfgang59 said
    It wasn't his plan though was it?
    Oh?
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Jun '19 09:45
    @fmf said
    Oh?
    My understanding was that he (Monty) selected it from a variety of options from US.
    I could (probably) be wrong, but I'm sure I've read that from one source. (ie a real book!)
  7. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    12 Jun '19 10:24
    @wolfgang59 said
    My understanding was that he (Monty) selected it from a variety of options from US.
    I could (probably) be wrong, but I'm sure I've read that from one source. (ie a real book!)
    I believe that it was an American plan.
    But it was executed poorly because of clashing egos and premature quests for glory.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Jun '19 11:13
    @WOLFE63
    I think Monty's (and British) strategy was to minimise British casualties (at the cost
    of US caualties) in order to have some semblance of military presence post-war.

It was about politics by then!
  9. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    12 Jun '19 12:44
    @wolfgang59 said
    @WOLFE63
    I think Monty's (and British) strategy was to minimise British casualties (at the cost
    of US caualties) in order to have some semblance of military presence post-war.

It was about politics by then!
    As with all wars, those thrust into the "action" are nothing more than fodder/statistics, calculated by "statisticians/leaders".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree