1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '16 04:33
    Originally posted by josephw
    That's so odd. First you have false memories of events, then you have no memory of events. What's next, will you now question your own existence? I guess some people have difficulty keeping track of reality, but again that explains a lot about why the truth escapes so many.
    In what way does the truth escape you?
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Apr '16 04:42
    Originally posted by FMF
    In what way does the truth escape you?
    I'm not the one posting in this thread false memories of forgotten events.

I think you should answer your own question.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '16 04:542 edits
    I'm not the one posting in this thread false memories of forgotten events.

I think you should answer your own question.
    Well I'm sure everyone - including you - has 'false memories' although how sharply aware of them - or even whether or not people ever become aware of them at all - may vary from person to person. I doubt I have ever met anyone who did not have events in their lives that they no longer had memories of. I don't think the fact that I mixed up some railway stations I saw 40 years ago when I was a little kid, or that I thought I attended a concert 35 years ago that I actually saw on TV, can sensibly be characterized as "having difficulty keeping track of reality", do you? So, what about you? In what way does the truth escape you?
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Apr '16 05:27
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well I'm sure everyone - including you - has 'false memories' although how sharply aware of them - or even whether or not people ever become aware of them at all - may vary from person to person. I doubt I have ever met anyone who did not have events in their lives that they no longer had memories of. I don't think the fact that I mixed up some railway stations ...[text shortened]... ty keeping track of reality", do you? So, what about you? In what way does the truth escape you?
    I don't have any false memories of places I've been or things I've done.

As far as "the truth escaping me" is concerned I can safely say I don't know a fraction of it, and that there are things I have held to be true in the past, but later learned were false, and vice versa.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '16 05:361 edit
    If that is so, why did you concede on page 1 that your perception of things you've seen or done - whether they be of people, places you've been or events you've witnessed - has not always been entirely accurate? Or do you not remember saying that? 😉
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Apr '16 06:18
    I don't have any false memories of places I've been or things I've done..
    Please tell me this is in jest!!!! 😞
  7. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    01 Apr '16 06:19
    I don't understand what this is all about. I have what I think are memories which occasionally prove not to have been recalled correctly decades later. I believe everyone of us, if honest, would say the same. Anyone who says different has delusions of self-perfection, in my book.
  8. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    06 Apr '16 14:07
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I don't understand what this is all about. I have what I think are memories which occasionally prove not to have been recalled correctly decades later. I believe everyone of us, if honest, would say the same. Anyone who says different has delusions of self-perfection, in my book.
    This is the Point to redeem Rumsfelds famous "known unknowns" I think. We all know in principle that our meories are not perfect, but we don't knopw which recollections are untrue...
  9. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    06 Apr '16 20:14
    Scientists are discovering that a memory changes every time you recall it.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/scientists-explore-the-illusion-of-memory-1.1353905

Inside the brains of human subjects, they pinpointed the unique imprints of two visual memories that were triggered by the same word. Then they watched as repeatedly recalling one of the images caused the second, interfering memory to vanish.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-31909935

That barely scratches the surface of how unreliable our memories are.

The world around you is not as it seems, either.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree