General Forum

General Forum

  1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    29 Nov '15 01:17
    First recorded in 1941 the etymology of this idiom is unclear
    although several possibilities have been put forward. Originally
    it meant merely to be embarrassed but nowadays is used to
    denote embarrassment or stupidity when something backfires.

    An example would be trying to post something witty in an alphabetical
    forum game but being too dumb to know your alphabet correctly.
  2. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    29 Nov '15 01:22
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    First recorded in 1941 the etymology of this idiom is unclear
    although several possibilities have been put forward. Originally
    it meant merely to be embarrassed but nowadays is used to
    denote embarrassment or stupidity when something backfires.

    An example would be trying to post something witty in an alphabetical
    forum game but being too dumb to know your alphabet correctly.
    I think it means being embarrassed as a result of one's own actions.
  3. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    29 Nov '15 01:24
    Egg in your beard

    This means being embarrassed in a disgusting way as a result of one's own actions.
  4. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    29 Nov '15 01:25
    Egg in your pocket

    This means being embarrassed after having been caught in the act of stealing something.
  5. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    29 Nov '15 01:26
    Egg in your ears

    This means being embarrassed as a result of one's own actions but steadfastly refusing to admit it.
  6. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    29 Nov '15 01:29
    Egg in your hand

    Being on the verge of embarrassing someone for something that they have said or done.
  7. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    29 Nov '15 01:32
    Eggs Benedict on your donkey jacket

    Someone who is clearly riff raff embarrasses themselves by putting on airs and graces..
  8. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    29 Nov '15 01:35
    Egg in your nose

    Having been embarrassed as a result of your own actions, you are now on the warpath.
  9. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    97094
    29 Nov '15 01:37
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]Egg in your beard

    This means being embarrassed in a disgusting way as a result of one's own actions.[/b]
    And here I thought it meant a snack later on.
  10. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    97094
    29 Nov '15 01:39
    Doesn't it mean, saying to your face, "Face, you look like something god forgot to finish".
  11. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    40236
    29 Nov '15 01:43
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    First recorded in 1941 the etymology of this idiom is unclear
    although several possibilities have been put forward. Originally
    it meant merely to be embarrassed but nowadays is used to
    denote embarrassment or stupidity when something backfires.

    An example would be trying to post something witty in an alphabetical
    forum game but being too dumb to know your alphabet correctly.
    Title of thread didn't denote alphabetical order and I only visited the last page.
    So I will simply say, "My mistake - sorry!" See how easy that is? 😉

    Watch your blue movie tonight and reminisce? Always so grumpy 😞
  12. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    29 Nov '15 01:44
    Fluffy moist scrambled egg on your face

    The embarrassment is not very deep and will be short lived.
  13. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    97094
    29 Nov '15 01:45
    Originally posted by Landisqueen170
    Title of thread didn't denote alphabetical order and I only visited the last page.
    So I will simply say, "My mistake - sorry!" See how easy that is? 😉

    Watch your blue movie tonight and reminisce? Always so grumpy 😞
    Do you two have something on the go? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.
  14. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    29 Nov '15 01:46
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Egg in your syntax
  15. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    29 Nov '15 01:47
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Do you two have something on the go? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.
    Egg on the sheets

    An embarrassing liaison becomes public knowledge.
Back to Top